Michael G. VanBuren
Top Rated Health Care Attorney in Cleveland, OH
Mike VanBuren is a Partner and Leader of Calfee’s Health Care Regulatory practice. He represents hospitals, health systems, dialysis providers, pharmacies, device manufacturers and suppliers, physician groups and private practice physicians in corporate, business, regulatory and governmental relations matters.
Mike works with clients on complex health care matters including joint ventures, hospital-physician integration transactions, practice acquisitions, physician employment agreements, reimbursement issues and Medicare/Medicaid fraud and abuse and HIPAA compliance. He also provides day-to-day corporate counseling to clients outside of the health care sector, with a focus on negotiating a broad range of commercial contracts, including general terms and conditions of sale and purchase, services arrangements, supply and distribution agreements, marketing agreements, and confidentiality/non-disclosure agreements, along with appropriate contract risk mitigation strategies. Mike’s role is to protect clients’ business and strategic objectives and interests while also disarming unproductive conflict and helping guide matters towards a productive and successful outcome. He works collaboratively with leaders and front-line employees to provide advice that is practical, useful and timely.
Mike also counsels clients on navigating federal and state campaign finance, lobbying registration and tax-exempt organization requirements and laws governing electioneering activities. He advises tax-exempt and nonprofit organizations on formation, governance and transactional matters, working closing with organizational leaders to be mindful of the organizations’ missions while also recommending steps to help guard the organizations’ status.
Mike is a frequent author and speaker as well as an active member of the community.
About Michael G. VanBuren
First Admitted: 2007, Ohio
Professional Webpage: https://www.calfee.com/professionals-michael-g-vanburen
Pro bono/Community Service
- Summit County Community Partnership, Chair, Board of Trustees
- Western Reserve Academy, Alumni Association Board, Vice President
- American Health Lawyers Association, Physician Organizations Practice Group, Vice-Chair Member Engagement
- Society for Ohio Health Care Attorneys (Ohio Hospital Association), Director, Northeast District
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Health Law Section, Chair
- Ohio State Bar Association’s Leadership Academy, Participant, 2016
- Akron Bar Association Health Law Section, Past Chair
- Richard A. and Brandon S. Collier Award (Outstanding Achievement in the Law-Medicine Curriculum), Case Western Reserve University School of Law , 2007
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Health Care Law, The Best Lawyers in America©, 2021
- "30 For The Future" Young Professional, 2015, Greater Akron Chamber of Commerce, 2015
- J.D., cum laude, Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Editor-in-Chief, Health Matrix: Journal of Law-Medicine, 2007 , 2007
- M.A., George Washington University School of Political Management, 2004 , 2004
- B.A., cum laude, Vanderbilt University, 2002, 2002
- Medical Mutual of Ohio
- Health Care
- Individuals And Families
- Medical Devices
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Pharmaceuticals & Life Sciences
- Private and Family-Owned Businesses
- Public Companies
Last Updated: 10/4/2022