Steven W. Day
Top Rated Employee Benefits Attorney in Cleveland, OH
Steve Day is a Partner in the Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation practice group; he advises public, private, governmental and non-profit clients on tax, securities, ERISA and state law issues related to designing and operating executive compensation arrangements and employee benefit plans.
Steve regularly advises clients on:
- General design and compliance issues for qualified retirement plans, non-qualified deferred compensation arrangements and health plans
- Fiduciary responsibilities for administering benefit plans and investing plan assets
- Employee benefits issues that arise in connection with mergers and acquisitions
- Executive compensation arrangements and related requirements under the securities laws
- Governmental and church retirement and health plans
Steve was ranked by Chambers USA 2017 and 2020 as a "Leading Lawyer" in Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation in Ohio. Chambers noted in 2020 that a client described Steve as a lawyer who"works the timelines very well, gets us good work product and meets my expectations every time."
Steve is an active member of the American Bar Association. He is also a member of the Advisory Board of the American Benefits Council and the National Association of Public Pension Attorneys.
Steve serves as a director of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Foundation and is a member of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association. Steve has served as Chair of its Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts Committee, through which he provides pro bono legal services to members of the local arts community and frequently presents to artists and students on legal issues affecting artists. Steve is a regular lecturer at the Cleveland Institute of Art and the Cleveland Institute of Music, where he teaches classes on business and professionalism in the arts and music industry.
Steve is on the Board of Directors of the Swedish American Chamber of Commerce in Ohio.
About Steven W. Day
First Admitted: 2007, Ohio
Professional Webpage: https://www.calfee.com/professionals-steven-w-day
- Playhouse Square Foundation
- Medical Mutual of Ohio
- Advising large energy and utilities company on entering into various investment arrangements for its multi-billion dollar defined benefit pension plan, including investments in hedge funds, private equity funds, collective investment trusts and separate accounts.
- Representing a global food and beverage manufacturing company with review and negotiating contracts with investment managers for individualized funds under its multi-billion dollar defined contribution plan.
- Advising several clients, including national banks, broker-dealers and Registered Investment Adviser firms, on implementing the Department of Labor’s new fiduciary rule and related exemptions.
- Advising several publicly held clients on designing and obtaining shareholder approval of equity compensation plans.
- Advising large governmental retirement program on negotiating arrangement with pharmaceutical benefits program.
- American Bar Association, Member, 2021
- American Benefits Council, Member, 2021
- National Association of Public Pension Attorneys, Member, 2021
- J.D., magna cum laude, Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Order of the Coif, Executive Editor of Case Law Review, Law-Medicine Fellowship, 2007
- M.A., Biological Psychology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2003
- B.S., Psychology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1999
- Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation, Band 3, Chambers USA, 2020
- Tax Law, Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, The Best Lawyers in America©, 2021
- Ohio Rising Stars, Ohio Super Lawyers, 2017
Pro bono/Community Service
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Foundation, Board Member, 2021
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Chair of CMBA's Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts Committee and Member of Reach Out Committee for Non-Profits, 2021
- Swedish American Chamber of Commerce in Ohio, Board of Directors, 2021
- Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOP)
- Energy And Utilities
- Entrepreneurs and Emerging Companies
- Financial Services
- Food And Beverage
- Health Care
- Joint Ventures
- Life Sciences
- Manufacturing And Industrial
- Medical Devices
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Private and Family-Owned Businesses
- Private Equity
- Public Companies
Last Updated: 5/15/2022