Charles H. Cooper, Jr.
Top rated medical malpractice attorney in Columbus, OhioCooper Elliott
The owner and co-founder of the Columbus, Ohio, law firm Cooper Elliott, attorney Charles H. "Chip" Cooper, Jr. is well known for his innate ability to litigate cases in court. A strong-willed and tenacious professional, he has over 35 years of experience assisting clients from all walks of life in matters related to:
· Medical malpractice
· Car, bicycle and pedestrian accidents
· Truck wrecks
· Traumatic brain and spine injuries
· Injuries to infants and children
· Professional malpractice
· Wrongful death
· Business disputes
· General civil litigation
After completing his bachelor’s degree in economics from the University of Virginia in 1983, Mr. Cooper attended George Mason University – Antonin Scalia Law School to earn his Juris Doctor in 1986. He served as an editor of George Mason Law Review and participated in the national moot court competition on behalf of his law school.
Over the course of his noteworthy career, Mr. Cooper has litigated complex cases throughout the Midwest and in Mississippi, Texas, California and Florida, procuring millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements on behalf of his clients. He is licensed in Ohio since 1986 and has also successfully handled a number of cases before the Supreme Court of Ohio and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit. Some of Mr. Cooper’s notable personal injury jury verdicts include $7,018,000, $5,999,100 and $3,664,186.
Active in his community, Mr. Cooper is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), the American Association for Justice, the Ohio Association for Justice, the Central Ohio Association for Justice, the Columbus Bar Association and the Ohio State Bar Association. He also regularly lectures in many seminars and continuing legal education programs and is an Ohio Supreme Court-approved mentor for upcoming attorneys.
Mr. Cooper’s high professionalism and successful track record have led to his receipt of many awards and honors. He received the highest available rating of AV Preeminent* by Martindale-Hubbell and was listed in the Top 100 Trial Lawyers by The National Trial Lawyers. He is included by Best Lawyers continuously since 2005 and named to the "Top Attorneys" for Cleveland and Columbus by Cleveland Magazine.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasPersonal injury - medical malpractice: plaintiff, Personal injury - general: plaintiff, Business litigation, Civil rights
Medical malpractice, Birth injury, Delayed or incorrect diagnosis, Informed consent, Personal injury - plaintiff, Wrongful death, Brain injury, Police misconduct
- 40% Personal injury - medical malpractice: plaintiff
- 40% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
- 10% Business litigation
- 10% Civil rights
First Admitted: 1986, Ohio
Professional Webpage: https://www.cooperelliott.com/our-attorneys/charles-h-cooper...
- , SuperLawyers Top 50 - Columbus 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023
- Recipient of Martindale-Hubbell "AV Preeminent" rating from other lawyers, the highest rating possible
- Recognized in Cleveland Magazine's "Top Attorneys" for Cleveland and Columbus
- Ohio Supreme Court-approved mentor of new attorneys
- National Trial Lawyers Top 100
- Recognized by Best Lawyers each year since 2005
- Selected by peers for Super Lawyers designation each year since 2008
- AVVO rating of 10.0
- Frequent lecturer regarding trial tactics, Ohio Association for Justice annual convention and continuing legal education programs; guest lecturer, Ohio State University School of Law
- Presenter at American Board of Trial Advocates "Masters in Trial"
- Member, ABOTA
- United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- The National Trial Lawyers
- National Lawyers Guild
- Columbus Bar Association
- Ohio Bar Association
- Central Ohio Association for Justice
- Ohio Association for Justice
- American Association for Justice
- BA, Economics, University of Virginia
- $2,607,000 medical malpractice jury verdict, Estate of Barbara Mullins v. Khanduja et al., 2018
- $5,999,100.00 personal injury jury verdict, Michael Faieta et al. v. World Harvest Church, et al., 2007
- $3,664,186.00 jury verdict; Estate of Heintzelman v. Martel, 2005
- $7,018,000.00 jury verdict, Estate of Schmidt v. JB Hunt, 2002
Office location for Charles H. Cooper, Jr.
305 West Nationwide Boulevard
Columbus, OH 43215
Find me online
- Acts of violence such as these are an abuse of power, 7 they can have permanent and sometimes even fatal consequenc… https://t.co/87tiFdFxD2
- At Cooper Elliott, we aren't afraid of Goliaths. We've helped clients take on insurance companies, governments, and… https://t.co/ORRbvWOaKi
- Attorneys Rex Elliott & Sean Alto and the Foltz family announced a settlement with BGSU - the largest payout by a p… https://t.co/xqkGlX4YnD