Damion M. Clifford
Top rated business litigation attorney in Columbus, OhioArnold & Clifford LLP
As a partner at Arnold & Clifford LLP, Damion M. Clifford serves businesses in Columbus, Ohio. He represents clients in matters related to business litigation and business taxes. Over the past few years, he has helped businesses secure big wins in civil cases and reduce their tax liabilities to state and federal agencies.
Mr. Clifford completed his undergraduate degree in sociology at The Ohio State University. He then completed his law degree at the Capital University Law School, in 2014. That same year, he passed his bar exam and was admitted to practice in Ohio. While pursuing his law degree, he was also part of the prestigious Order of the Curia.
Before joining Arnold & Clifford LLP, Mr. Clifford worked at the Ohio Attorney General's Office. During this time, he handled several tax-related cases. Some of these include school district income tax, personal property tax and real property exemption requests.
Mr. Clifford has tackled some high profile cases involving large organizations, such as Home Depot, Progressive Plastics, the State Medical Board and Northeast Ohio Psychiatric Institute. Not surprisingly, his work attracted the attention of the Columbus CEO Magazine, which named him a top lawyer.
While he is passionate about his legal work, Mr. Clifford is also committed to community involvement. He serves on the Alumni Board of the St. Charles Preparatory School. He is also a former United States Army Reserve Specialist.
Practice areasBusiness litigation, Tax: business
- 80% Business litigation
- 20% Tax: business
First Admitted: 2004, Ohio
Professional Webpage: https://www.arnlaw.com/attorney/clifford-damion-m/
- U.S. Tax Court, 2013
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Ohio, 2011
- Ohio State Bar Association, Member
- Columbus Bar Association, Member
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 2005
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio, 2004
- Ohio, 2004
- St. Charles Preparatory High School, Alumni Board
- The Ohio State University, B.A., Major: Sociology
- Speaker, Sales and Use Tax Conference, Lorman Education Services, 2011-2012
- , Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers, 2022
- , Top Lawyers, Columbus CEO Magazine, 2021
- Top Lawyers, Columbus CEO Magazine, 2020
- Top Lawyers, Columbus CEO Magazine, 2019
- Top Lawyers, Columbus CEO Magazine, 2018
- Top Lawyers, Columbus CEO Magazine, 2017
- Top Lawyers, Columbus CEO Magazine, 2016
- Super Lawyers Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2016
- Super Lawyers Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2015
- AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell, 2014
- Order of the Curia, Capital University Law School, 2004
- State v. Guzman, 3rd Dist. Allen No. 1-18-21, 2018-Ohio-4470 (successfully vacated nunc pro tunc entry of judgment).
- Sims v. Coley, 5th Dist. Licking No. 18 CA 00007, 2018-Ohio-3703 (successfully overturned trial court's grant of summary judgment).
- Pappas v. FM2, LLC, 99 N.E.3d 1107, 2017-Ohio-8548 (10th Dist.)(successfully pierced the corporate veil in order to impose personal liability).
- Anderson v. Bueher, 10th Dist. Franklin No. 15AP-633, 2016-Ohio-665 (successful defense of claimed substantial aggravation of pre-existing conditions).
- Global Knowledge Training, LLC v. Levin, 127 Ohio St.3d 34, 2010-Ohio-4411 (constitutional challenge to imposition of sales tax on computer training).
- Zupancic v. Wilkins, 10th Dist. Franklin No. 08-AP-472, 2009-Ohio-3688 (determination as to what is the proper form of relief for a party seeking to appeal a decision that lacks administrative review).
- Progressive Plastics v. Levin, 8th Dist. Cuyahoga No. 91614, 2009-Ohio-2033 (determination as to what standard is appropriate for valuing inventory).
- Home Depot v. Levin, 121 Ohio St.3d 482, 2009-Ohio-1431 (million dollar plus claim seeking a bad debt deduction).
- Northeast Ohio Psychiatric Institute v. Levin, 121 Ohio St.3d 292, 2009-Ohio-583 (real property exemption for a mental health facility).
- Southside Cmty. Dev. Corp. v. Levin, 119 Ohio St.3d 521, 2008-Ohio-4839 (real property question as to whether a subsequent owner could intervene in a prior owner’s application for exemption).
- Coniglio v. State Med. Bd., 10th Dist. Franklin No. 07-AP-298, 2007-Ohio-5018 (determination as to whether a decision by another state can be challenged by a physician in Ohio).
- State ex rel. Gelesh v. State Med. Bd., 72 Ohio App.3d 365, 2007-Ohio-3328 (10th Dist.)(determination as to whether a physician can bypass their administrative remedies by seeking relief with a court of common pleas).
- Ridgeway v. State Med. Bd., 10th Dist. Franklin No. 06-AP-1197-98, 2007-Ohio-5657 (determination as to whether a summary suspension is immediately appealable to the court of common pleas).
Office location for Damion M. Clifford
115 West Main Street
Columbus, OH 43215
- Super Lawyers: 2022 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2015 - 2016