J. Scott Bowman
Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney in Columbus, OH
Selected to Rising Stars: 2005 - 2007
- Free Consultation
Attorney J. Scott Bowman is a partner at the law firm of Geiser, Bowman & McLafferty, LLC, in Columbus, Ohio. Mr. Bowman focuses his practice on personal injury law, representing clients in central Ohio and statewide who have been injured or lost a loved one due to negligence. He has more than 20 years of experience handling cases involving various types of catastrophic injuries.
A board-certified civil trial advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy, Mr. Bowman has recovered millions of dollars for his clients through settlements and verdicts. As a result of his success, he is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum which is an exclusive organization of attorneys obtaining million or multimillion recoveries for their clients.
An active member of the legal community, Mr. Bowman belongs to the Columbus Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association, the Ohio Association for Justice, the American Association for Justice, and the American Board of Trial Advocates. He volunteers as a judge in mock trial competitions and at the local food program through his Greek Orthodox Church. He has also coached girls basketball through the GOYA (Greek Orthodox Youth of America) organization for several years.
In addition, Mr. Bowman is a former member of the Ohio Judicial Conference’s Ohio Jury Instructions Committee. While serving in this role, he worked with attorneys, judges and law school professors to amend Ohio’s negligence law jury instructions.
Mr. Bowman earned a bachelor’s degree from Illinois State University and received his law degree from the Ohio State University Moritz College of Law. In 1998, he obtained his license to practice law and is qualified to appear in all State of Ohio and United States District courts.
- 80%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 10%Insurance Coverage
- 10%Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff
Animal Bites, Assault, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Wrongful Death, Dram Shop Laws, Construction Accident, Brain Injury, Trucking Accidents, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Insurance, Bad Faith Insurance, Motor Vehicle Defects, Medical Devices
- Super Lawyers: 2015 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2005 - 2007
Certificates and Credentials
About J. Scott Bowman
First Admitted: 1998, Ohio
Professional Webpage: https://protectingohio.com/our-attorneys/scott-bowman/
- Verdicts and settlements: Settlement, $1,100,000.00, Personal Injury/Crush Injury, client was crushed between trailer and tractor that was backing up to hook up with trailer; Settlement, Personal Injury/Motor Vehicle Collision, $950,000.00; Settlement, $750,000.00, Wrongful Death vs. Trucking Company involving client who rear-ended a stopped interstate carrier vehicle; Settlement, $900,000.00, Personal Injury/Traumatic Brain Injury vs. Trucking Company wherein Company disputed fault, no witnesses; Settlement, $550,000.00, Personal Injury/Traumatic Brain Injury vs. Trucking Company wherein Company disputed fault; Settlement, $437,5000, Personal Injury/Premises Liability, minor who lost great toe in hotly contested liability matter; Settlement, Personal Injury/Motor Vehicle Collision, client suffered hip injury vs. semi-tractor trailer. Verdict, $30,000.00 vs. dog owner wherein insurance company offered zero; Verdict, $37,000.00 vs. negligent motorist on behalf of married couple wherein combined offer by insurance company was less than $10,000.00; Verdict, $71,000.00 vs. negligent motorist wherein insurance company offered $4,700.00. Verdict, $50,300.00 pedestrian vs. negligent motorist, subjective claims of ongoing pain; Verdict, $79,000.00 vs. negligent motorist; Verdict, $15,000.00 vs. negligent motorist, connective tissue injuries, insurance company offer of $5,000.00; Verdict, $139,000.00 vs. negligent motorist, insurance company offer of $75,000.00; Verdict, $100,000.00 vs. negligent motorist.
Pro bono/Community Service
- Volunteer, Ohio Center for Law-Related Education Competition
- Secretary, Board of the Greek Olympic Society
- Volunteer, Capital Law School, Trial Advocacy Course
- Board Member, Greek Olympic Society - providing educational and philanthropic services through the Greek Orthodox Church.
- Illinois State University, B.S., 1993
- Accepted as member to Million Dollar Advocates Forum due to resolving case for client for over one million dollars, Million Dollar Advocates Forum, 2018, Million Dollar Advocates Forum, 2018
- Voted and accepted into ABOTA, American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), 2020
- Ohio Super Lawyer, 2015 - 2020, Ohio Super Lawyer
- Ohio Rising Star, 2005 - 2007, Ohio Rising Star
- Slugger Award, Central Ohio Association for Justice, An award for my work on the COAJ's Negligence Law Committee, 2002
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum, 2018
- Board Certification - Trial Attorney, National Board of Trial Advocacy (NBTA), 2008, 2008
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), 2020
- Member, Million Dollar Advocates Forum, 2018
- Member, National Board of Trial Advocacy, Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney, 2008
- U.S. District Courts in Ohio, 2004
- Supreme Court of Ohio, 1998
- Member, American Association for Justice, 1999
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association, 1998
- Member, Ohio Judicial Conference's Ohio Jury Instructions Committee
- Member, Central Ohio Association for Justice, 1998
- Member, Ohio Association for Justice, 1998
- Member, Columbus Bar Association, 1998
- American Association For Justice
- Board Certified Trial Attorney (National Board Of Trial Advocacy)
- Central Ohio Association For Justice
- Columbus Bar Association
- Ohio Association For Justice
- Ohio Judicial Conference
- Ohio State Bar Association
Last Updated: 9/7/2022