Michael L. Dillard, Jr.
Top rated business litigation attorney in Columbus, OhioArnold & Clifford LLP
Practice Areas: Business litigation, Business & corporate, Employment & labor; view more
Licensed in Ohio since: 2008
Education: Capital University Law School
Arnold & Clifford LLP115 West Main Street
Columbus, OH 43215 Visit website
From helping small businesses in resolving disputes to representing clients in the most complex commercial litigation cases, attorney Michael L. Dillard Jr. is well-versed and knowledgeable in all aspects of Ohio civil and business litigation matters. As a partner at the law firm of Arnold & Clifford LLP in Columbus, Ohio, he prevents or fights legal disputes in cases involving:
- Business/commercial litigation: Breach of contracts, business succession planning, copyright infringement, shareholder disputes, business torts and more
- Personal injury litigation: Serious motor vehicle accidents, truck wrecks and wrongful death
- Employment litigation
- Construction and real estate litigation
- Intellectual property and trade secrets
Double majoring in psychology and journalism, Mr. Dillard completed his Bachelor of Arts at The Ohio State University in 1999. Later in 2008, he received his Juris Doctor summa cum laude from the Capital University Law School in Columbus, Ohio. He is licensed in Ohio since 2008 and has also appeared before the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, the U.S. District Court for the Southern and Northern Districts of Ohio as well as the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit.
Mr. Dillard’s familiarity with the legal system combined with his trial experience has enabled him to secure favorable results for his clients in the state and federal courts of Ohio. He understands that a legal dispute/litigation can be a costly distraction for his clients and diligently tailors his advice to the unique needs of their circumstances. He gained extensive experience litigating business disputes at a renowned law firm before partnering with his current firm.
Active in both community and bar activities, Mr. Dillard volunteered with The Legal Aid Society of Columbus, where he provided pro bono services to landlords and tenants in Ohio. He is a member of the Columbus Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association, the Ohio Association for Justice and the American Association for Justice.
For offering outstanding client services throughout his 14-year legal career, Mr. Dillard is rated “Very Good” through Avvo. More valuably, he has received many positive reviews from his satisfied clients.
Practice areasBusiness litigation, Business/corporate, Employment & labor: employer, General litigation, Personal injury - general: plaintiff, Real estate: business
- 50% Business litigation
- 10% Business/corporate
- 10% Employment & labor: employer
- 10% General litigation
- 10% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
- 10% Real estate: business
First Admitted: 2008, Ohio
Professional Webpage: https://www.arnlaw.com/attorney/dillard-michael-l-jr/
- Financial Services Litigation Representing lending institutions in foreclosure actions, including defending counterclaims and appeals of successful actions. Successfully obtained dismissals, summary judgments, and dismissal of counterclaims in numerous foreclosure actions. Assessing shareholder derivative action against a major lending institution. Acting as the neutral body in a derivative action, helped to analyze documents and evidence to determine whether the derivative action should be pursued. Representing lender in breach of contract action related to a Las Vegas rent-a-car company’s inventory financing arrangement. Insurance Litigation Representing officers and directors of a liquidated insurance company. Successfully defended a breach of fiduciary duty action brought by the Ohio Department of Insurance, negotiating and entering into a favorable settlement for millions of dollars less than the alleged liability. Representing insurance company in action against a third-party administrator. Successfully pursued the employees of a third-party administrator who had allegedly misappropriated our client’s funds. Representing Medicaid managed care plan in bid protest, and in ensuing trial and appeal. After successfully protesting the State’s award of Medicaid managed care contracts, and obtaining a contract for our client, we were able to successfully defend the State’s award at trial and in the ensuing appeal. Analyzing issues associated with the formation of captive insurance companies. Representing independent insurance agents in license revocation hearings. Successfully represented multiple insurance agents in cases in which license revocation was being sought by the Department of Insurance. Real Estate Litigation Representing investors in a breach of contract action involving New York City sky scraper luxury apartment building. Successfully represented investors enabling them to recoup the millions of dollars in funds paid to the builder and developer of the property. Defending sellers in breach of contract and fraud action related to a residential real estate transaction. Obtained directed verdict at trial on behalf of sellers as to all plaintiff’s claims. Power Company/Telecommunications Litigation Representing power company in disputes related to easements. Pulled together all necessary information and evidence to file an action for an immediate temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction barring interference with the power company’s right-of-way. Representing interests of electric cooperatives in litigation against the City of Reynoldsburg. Filing amicus brief and successfully arguing a city cannot exercise home rule to force a utility to relocate its lines. Defending power companies in injury/tort cases. Obtained summary judgment or dismissal of numerous cases involving plaintiff or plaintiff’s decedent interest stemming from injuries incurred by contacting electrical lines. Representing telecommunications company in school contracting matter. Obtained successful resolution of school contracting matter whereby the telecommunications company maintained its contractual/lease right to utilize the school’s channel/licensed spectrum
- Ohio, 2008
- Columbus Bar Association
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 2021
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan, 2019
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Ohio, 2009
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio, 2008
- Work with local Legal Aid to defend tenants in eviction actions. Make a Wish, Walk for Wishes Event, volunteer. National MS Society, volunteer. Dublin Youth Association, Basketball Coach. Midwestern Black Law Student’s Association Mock Trial Event, volunteer judge. Ohio High School Mock Trial Event, volunteer judge. Menu of Hope YWCA, volunteer. Upper Arlington City Schools, volunteer. Hilliard City Schools, volunteer
- Landlord Tenant/Columbus Legal Aid, 2010 to 2011
- Litigating the Case, National Business Institute, 2015 – Present
- Piercing/Protecting the Corporate Veil & Alter Ego, Rossdale CLE, 2016 to 2019
- Litigating the Case, National Business Institute, 2015
- Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2014 – 2018
- The Ohio State University, Ohio, B.A. in Psychology and Journalism, 1999
Office location for Michael L. Dillard, Jr.
115 West Main Street
Columbus, OH 43215
- Rising Stars: 2014 - 2018