R. Craig McLaughlin
Top rated personal injury attorney in Mayfield Heights, OhioElk & Elk Co., Ltd.
Practice Areas: Personal injury, Medical malpractice; view more
Licensed in Ohio since: 1997
R. Craig McLaughlin represents people who have been seriously injured or killed as a result of motor vehicle crashes, medical negligence, defective products, and workplace incidents. He has served as lead counsel for an injured client in nearly 40 jury trials and obtained one of the largest verdicts ($620,000) in Clermont County, Ohio for a personal injury motor vehicle crash case. Craig has succcessfully resolved nearly 1,000 personal injury or medical malpractice cases in his career.
He has been named a "Super Lawyer" every year since 2013 by Ohio Super Lawyer Magazine and was identified as a "Super Lawyer Rising Star" in 2009-2012. Craig has also earned the highest attorney rating from Martindale-Hubbell and AVVO and is a life member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum and Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
Practice areasPersonal injury - general: plaintiff, Personal injury - medical malpractice: plaintiff
Animal bites, Motor vehicle accidents, Personal injury - plaintiff, Slip and fall, Wrongful death, Dram shop laws, Construction accident, Brain injury, Trucking accidents, Premises liability - plaintiff, Medical malpractice, Birth injury, Delayed or incorrect diagnosis
- 50% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
- 50% Personal injury - medical malpractice: plaintiff
First Admitted: 1997, Ohio
Professional Webpage: https://www.elkandelk.com/attorneys/r-craig-mclaughlin/
- Craig represents people who have been seriously injured or killed as a result of medical malpractice, nursing home neglect, motor vehicle crashes and defective products.
- $7.1 Million – Motor Vehicle Crash – Indiana Recovery for an Ohio woman who was rear-ended by a SUV at a high rate of speed on an Indiana highway. She suffered a traumatic brain injury, fractures in her middle back, herniated discs in her lower back, multiple rib fractures, and other injuries in the collision that prevented her from continuing her career as an administrative assistant.
- Confidential Settlement – Motor Vehicle Crash – Ohio Recovery for a man who was seriously injured when a commercial truck went left of center and hit his pick-up truck in a head-on collision. He suffered a fractured pelvis, fractured hip, and other injuries that kept him from continuing his career as a welder.
- $1.25 Million – Motor Vehicle Crash – Butler County, Ohio Recovery for a man who was seriously injured when a pick-up truck was negligently backed into a barn door and the door fell on him. He suffered a fractured back, fractured foot, multiple rib fractures, ruptured spleen, lacerated liver, and other injuries.
- $1.085 Million – Motor Vehicle Crash – Allen County, Ohio Recovery for a woman involved in a multiple vehicle crash on an Ohio interstate. She suffered a lacerated liver, rib fractures, ankle fracture, bruised lung, abdominal compartment syndrome and other injuries in the collision.
- $1.05 Million – Motor Vehicle Crash – Geauga County, Ohio Recovery for a man who was hit in a head-on collision by a speeding commercial truck. He suffered multiple fractures of his legs, lacerations to his spleen and kidneys, and other injuries in the crash.
- $1 M - Employer Intentional Tort - Ohio
- $875,000 Verdict – Medical Malpractice – Court of Claims – OhioA baby from Lucas County suffered brain damage when the doctor negligently performed a C-section. The mother had scar tissue from a previous abdominal surgery and the doctor negligently failed to remove scar tissue before cutting into the mother’s uterus to deliver the baby. The doctor also failed to have a second experienced doctor present to assist her during this difficult delivery. A verdict on the issue of liability only was won in the Ohio Court of Claim and then the case was resolved at a settlement conference.
- $800,000 – Motor Vehicle Crash – Hamilton County, Ohio Recovery for a woman who was a passenger in a van that was struck by a truck that failed to stop for a red light. She suffered a fractured neck and herniated disk and was unable to work again.
- Confidential Settlement – Motor Vehicle Crash – Ohio Recovery for a female security guard who had her foot and ankle run over by a tractor trailer driver during an inspection of the trailer. She was unable to work as a security guard again.
- Confidential Settlement – Medical Malpractice – Ohio Recovery for an elderly man who now has advanced stage kidney disease because his family doctor failed to review and respond to abnormal blood tests that had been ordered for many years. Client will now likely need dialysis or a kidney transplant.
- $700,000 – Motor Vehicle Crash – Erie County – Ohio Recovery for a man who was hit from behind by a car while he was on a tractor driving down a country road. He suffered a fractured back and was unable to work again.
- $650,000 – Motor Vehicle Crash – Miami County, Ohio Recovery for the family of a truck driver who was killed instantly when his truck was hit by another truck.
- $620,000 Verdict – Motor Vehicle Crash – Clermont County, Ohio Jury verdict for a man who was injured when a truck clipped another car during an improper lane change, causing it to spin out and strike the client’s car. He suffered two herniated disks in his lower back that required multiple surgeries and left him unable to return to work. The last offer from the insurance company before trial was $50,000.
- $575,000 – Personal Injury – Kentucky Recovery for a delivery truck driver who suffered a fractured ankle that required multiple surgeries when a tow truck operator dropped a heavy slab of granite during unloading of a flatbed trailer.
- $525,000 – Motor Vehicle Crash – Mahoning County, Ohio Recovery for an elderly woman who was being transported in a nursing home van and suffered a fractured neck when another car ran a stop sign and struck the van.
- $525,000 – Motor Vehicle Crash – Franklin County, Ohio Recovery for the death of a 73 years old woman who was killed when her husband went left of center and crashed into another car. She died at the scene.
- $500,000 – Medical Malpractice – Lucas County, Ohio Recovery for the family of a nursing home patient who was dropped by a private ambulance attendant during transport back from a dialysis session. He fell and hit his head and suffered a brain injury. He died one month later.
- $500,000 – Motor Vehicle Crash – Lucas County, Ohio Recovery for a woman who was hit head on by a truck that went left of center. She suffered multiple fractures to her arms and legs, a very bad laceration to her leg, and other injuries.
- $500,000 – Medical Malpractice – Ohio Recovery for the family of a veteran who went to the Cleveland VA Medical Center for hernia repair surgery. The surgeon perforated the client’s intestines during surgery then failed to detect the injury in a timely manner. The client died several months later due to complication from sepsis infection.
- $470,000 – Motor Vehicle Crash – Richland County, Ohio Recovery for a teenager who was a passenger in a car where the driver lost control and struck a utility pole. Client suffered a fractured skull, moderate brain injury, and other injuries in the crash.
- $460,000 – Motor Vehicle Crash – Muskingum County, Ohio Recovery for a woman who was hit head on by a car that crossed over the median. She suffered a fractured foot, neck injury, and bruised ribs.
- $450K -- Motor Vehicle Crash (Lucas County)
- $425,000 – Motor Vehicle Crash – Kentucky Recovery for a young woman who was a passenger in a pick-up truck that rear-ended a slow moving tractor on a dark country road that did not have appropriate lights and warning signs. She suffered a fractured nose, fractured wrist, fractured ankle, and other injuries.
- $400,000 – Motor Vehicle Crash – Allen County, Ohio Recovery for female was seriously injured when a commercial truck failed to stop at a stop sign and crashed into the car in which she was a passenger. She suffered a fractured nose, fractured arm, fractured leg, multiple rib fractures, and other injuries.
- $400,000 – Motor Vehicle Crash – Kentucky Recovery for a man who was injured when another car ran a red light and struck his car while he was clearing the intersection. He suffered closed head injury, punctured lung, bruised lung and other injuries.
- $400,000 – Medical Malpractice – Ohio Recovery for the family of an 82 years old nursing home resident who was totally dependent on nursing home staff for all of her needs, but was left unattended on a portable toilet. She fell and hit her head and suffered a brain injury. She died two days later.
- $350,000 – Medical Malpractice – Ohio Recovery for elderly gentleman after an optometrist failed to diagnose open angle glaucoma that resulted in permanent partial vision loss in both of client’s eyes.
- $300,000 – Personal Injury – Delaware County, Ohio Recovery for a young girl who suffered a fractured skull when a neighbor gave his young son a golf club and ball to play with in the backyard and then left the children unsupervised while he went upstairs to take a shower.
- $300k - Motor Vehicle Accident (Cuyahoga County)
- $275,000 – Medical Malpractice – Ohio Recovery for a veteran after doctors and nurses at the Cleveland VA Medical Center failed to remove surgical towels from the client’s abdomen after surgery to remove his cancerous kidney. Client became very sick, needed multiple surgeries to fix the problem, and missed significant time from work.
- $250K -- Nursing Home Negligence/Wrongful Death (Ohio)
- $250K Motor Vehicle Crash (Morow County)
- $241,000 – Personal Injury – Medina County, Ohio Recovery for a teenage female who suffered an avulsion of the patellar tendon in her knee and other injuries when a classmate stepped on her feet and knocked her to the ground during horseplay at school.
- $225,000 – Dog Bite – Butler County, Ohio Recovery for a toddler who was bit on the cheek by a friend’s dog at a Fourth of July party.
- $200K -- Construction Site Accident – (Franklin County)
- $155K -- Farming Accident (Cuyahoga County)
- $150K -– Motor Vehicle Crash - (Hamilton County)
- $135K -– Motor Vehicle Crash - (Knox County)
- $130K -- Motor Vehicle Crash (Hancock County)
- $129K- Motor Vehicle Crash - (Summit County)
- $120K - Motor Vehicle Crash (Logan County)
- $100K - Pedestrian/Motor Vehicle Crash (Seneca County)
- $100K -– Motor Vehicle Crash (Guernsey County)
- University of Cincinnati, B.A., Political Science, 1994
- Member, Ohio Association of Justice
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- Kentucky, 2006
- Ohio, 1997
- Member, American Association of Justice
- Member - Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Million Dollar Advocates
- Article summarizing Ohio law on dramshop liquor liability., A Look at Dramshop Liquor Liability in Ohio, CBA Report
- Speaker at CLE seminar on Identifying Viable Employer Intentional Tort and Products Liability Cases, Clermont County Bar Association
- Speaker at CLE Seminar on Personal Injury
- Speaker at CLE Seminar on Traumatic Brain Injury Cases
- Speaker at CLE Seminar on Anatomy for Attorneys
- Speaker at CLE Seminar on Jury Selection
- American Association For Justice
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Ohio Association For Justice
Office location for R. Craig McLaughlin
6105 Parkland Boulevard
Mayfield Heights, OH 44124
- Super Lawyers: 2013 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2009 - 2012