C. Joseph McCoy
Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney in Newark, OH
C. Joseph McCoy is an attorney at McCoy & McCoy, Attorneys at Law, LLC, in Newark, Ohio. Mr. McCoy has a diverse law practice, handling cases in the areas of personal injury law, adoptions, and consumer protection. He represents clients in Newark and throughout Ohio.
In his personal injury practice, Mr. McCoy has had experience with issues such as car crashes, dog bites, medical malpractice, nursing home abuse and vaccine injuries. As a family law practitioner, he primarily handles stepparent adoption cases, representing stepparents and guiding them through the complexities of the legal adoption process.
Mr. McCoy is committed to helping Ohio residents who have been injured or who lost a loved one in an accident. He is a skilled trial lawyer who assertively pursues full and fair compensation for his personal injury clients.
Away from his law practice, Mr. McCoy is an active contributor to his local community. He serves on the board of Licking County Crime Stoppers, the Licking County Board of Developmental Disabilities and various other organizations, belongs to the Newark Lions Club and participates in activities through the Newark City School District. He provides pro bono services through the Licking County Pro Bono Legal Clinic.
Raised in Newark, Mr. McCoy graduated from Pennsylvania’s Grove City College with a bachelor’s degree. He earned his law degree from the Ohio State University Moritz College of Law. He holds licenses to practice law before all Ohio state courts, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio and the Supreme Court of the United States.
About C. Joseph McCoy
First Admitted: 2014, Ohio
Professional Webpage: https://www.mccoymccoylaw.com/joe-mccoy
Pro bono/Community Service
- Newark branch of the Lion’s Club, Member
- Volunteer for Licking County Bar Association Ohio State Legal Services Pro Bono Clinic, 2019
- Crime Stoppers of Licking County
- Ohio, 2014
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio, 2016
- Grove City College, Grove City, Pennsylvania, B.A.
- Newark High School, Newark, Ohio
- $42,000 settlement for slip and fall incident in apartment (settlement depended on unique facts and circumstances of situation), 2019
- $25,000 policy limits settlement for individual injured in car crash, causing compression fractures in his back., 2022
- Policy limits settlement of $100,000 for individual involved in motorcycle crash - fractured collarbone., 2022
- Policy limits settlement of $100,000 for car crash causing fractured sternum., 2022
- Brown v. Kroger and Home City Ice: Trial in Licking County, Ohio. Client slipped on puddle of water near ice machine, which Plaintiff alleged was due to ice that was spilled during delivery about one hour earlier. Slippery floor sign was posted. Client fractured her kneecap when she slipped and fell, leading to surgery and three months of physical therapy. Jury found Defendants liable, and awarded $108,000, but apportioned percentage of comparative fault to Plaintiff, leading to approximately $78,500 verdict for Plaintiff., 2021
- $100,000 settlement due to policy limits for young child seriously injured due to riding lawn mower. (settlement depended on unique facts and circumstances of this particular case) Still pursuing claim beyond policy limits, but settlement reached with driver of the lawn mower., 2021
- Settled case for $52,500. (settlement depended on unique facts and circumstances of this particular case) Vaccine injury case in the Federal Court of Claims., 2021
- Settled case for $25,000 after litigation. Car crash in Licking County, Ohio. (settlement depended on unique facts and circumstances of this particular case). Client suffered soft tissue injury to her back. Needed several months of physical therapy., 2020
- Settled case for $32,200 (settlement depended on unique facts and circumstances of this particular case). Car crash in Muskingum County. Client suffered microfractures in her wrist, which made Thanksgiving and Christmas as a single-mom especially difficult., 2021
- Settled case after litigation for $42,500 (settlement depended on unique facts and circumstances of this particular case). Car crash involving commercial vehicle in Licking County, Ohio. Client suffered soft tissue injuries to upper back and neck., 2020
- $61,000 settlement for individual injured while on a motorized scooter, 2019
- $64,000 for injuries suffered in motorcycle accident (settlement depended on facts and circumstances of particular situation), 2018
- $30,000 settlement for soft tissue injuries resulting from car accident (settlement depended on unique facts and circumstances of this particular case), 2018
- $75,000 settlement for injuries sustained in car accident with driver who had state minimum insurance coverage (settlement depended on unique facts and circumstances of this particular situation), 2018
- $128,500 settlement for injury caused by vaccine administration (settlement depended on unique facts and circumstances of this situation), 2020
- Sworn in at United States Supreme Court, 2019
- Licensed to practice in Federal Court of Claims, 2018
Last Updated: 5/15/2022