Jerome F. Weiss
Top rated Alternative Dispute Resolution attorney in Shaker Heights, OhioMediation Inc.
Practice Areas: Alternative Dispute Resolution
Licensed in Ohio since: 1972
Education: Case Western Reserve University School of Law
Languages Spoken: English, German
Mediation Inc.2935 W Belvoir Oval
Shaker Heights, OH 44122 Phone: 216-589-9995 Email: Jerome F. Weiss Visit website
Recognized as one of a few preeminent mediators in the region, Jerry Weiss is sought after for the most difficult, complicated and intractable disputes and has mediated for both a regional and national consumer base. As a neutral whose work has evolved over the past 20+ years into an exclusively ADR-related practice, Jerry has drawn on his academic and practical experience and his years of work as a litigator, to accomplish a high success rate in the meaningful disposition of cases through alternative dispute resolution. He has a strong foundation in knowing how and when mediation works and where its use is appropriate. Jerry has developed a reputation as an astute problem solver who is able to help parties resolve the most complex, deep-rooted disputes. His peers recognize that he truly understands mediation as the art form that it is by his utilization of adaptation, listening and creative skills. He is relied on by his peers for his knowledge, experience and the judgment that comes with it.
Jerry is a pioneer in Northeast Ohio as the first lawyer to have committed his entire practice to ADR. He is active on the regional and national stage as a perennial featured speaker for the ABA on mediation. In 2012, Jerry created the Mediation Representation seminar at CWRU. He is a Martindale AV Preeminent, 2013 Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year in Mediation, and U.S. News-Best Lawyers Best Law Firms, Tier 1 in Mediation for 2015. Jerry is one of only 145 lawyers worldwide (he is the only Northeast Ohio member) being a Distinguished Fellow in the International Academy of Mediators (IAM) - the only truly peer review, rated and invited program of its kind. IAM is recognized as the cohort of the most successful and highly trained mediators in the world and admission requires more than payment of a membership fee.
First Admitted: 1972, Ohio
Professional Webpage: https://www.mediate.com/mediationinc/pg1.cfm
- One of 429 practitioners selected worldwide, Jerry is the only Ohio mediator included in this publication., Who's Who Legal: Mediation
- , First Tier U.S. News and World Report, U.S. News and World Report, 2021
- Induction to the Society of Benchers at Case Western Reserve University School of Law, June 11, 2015. This peer nominated society represents over 240 exemplary professionals and is the highest honor bestowed at the Law School.
- Best Lawyers in America; Distinguished Fellow, International Academy of Mediators (IAM); U.S. News-Best Lawyers Best Law Firms, Tier 1 in ADR, 2010 Inaugural Edition; Best Lawyers' 2013 Cleveland Mediation "Lawyer of the Year"; U.S. News-Best Lawyers Best Law Firms, Tier 1 in Mediation, 2015
- Association for Conflict Resolution (ACR); International Academy of Mediators (IAM); American Bar Association Section of Alternative Dispute Resolution; Mediation Association of Northeast Ohio (MANO); Ohio Mediation Association (OMA); Judicial Conference of the Eighth Judicial District of Ohio; Federal Panel of the U.S. District Court Northern District Court of Ohio (of Mediators and Evaluators); and Cleveland Bar Association Board of Trustees (1990-1993), Grievance Committee (past Chair), Committee on Alternative Dispute Resolution (Chair 2005-2006), Judicial Selection Committee
- “Avoiding the Slow March to the Middle”, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal (August 2013) and Mediate.com (August 2013) “Mediation Pointers from a Distinguished Neutral”, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal (July/August 2012) “Secrets for Settlement – How to Succeed in Mediation”, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal (March 2012) and Mediate.com (March 2012); “Don’t Be So Square”, Mediate.com (December, 2009) and Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal (January, 2010); "Tipping Points in Mediation: Critical Thresholds in the Process", Cleveland Bar Journal (May, 2007) and Mediate.com (May, 2007); "Mediation to Raise the Spirit", Mediate.com (March 2006); "Apology: Its Power and Impact in Mediated Resolution", Cleveland Bar Journal (December 2005); "Apology: The Post-Debate View", Mediate.com (November 2005); "You Never Can Tell", Cleveland Bar Journal and Mediate.com (October 2005) ;"Mediation Myths", Cleveland Bar Journal (June 2004); "Slow Down, You Move Too Fast.... - A Helpful Mediation Hint". Cleveland Bar Journal (February 2003); "Timing and Its Impact on Mediation", Ohio Lawyers Weekly (July 30, 2001); "Becoming More Effective As Mediation Counsel", Ohio Lawyers Weekly (April 23, 2001); "Mediation, The Basics, Part II", Cuyahoga County Bar Association Law & Fact (January/ February 2001); "Mediation, The Basics, Part I", Cuyahoga County Bar Association Law & Fact (November/ December 2000); "Issues to Consider When Selecting a Mediator", Cleveland Bar Journal (July/August 2000)
- Speaker, "Mediation Advocacy -- Opening Statements", Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association; April 14, 2015; Cleveland, OH; Panelist, "Cutting Edge Closing Techniques: Where Nobody Wants to Say Yes", ABA Section of Dispute Resolution 2015 Spring Conference; April 15-18, 2015; Westin Seattle; Seattle, WA click here for more info; Panelist, "Negotiations", Ohio Women's Bar Foundation Leadership Institute, February 15, 2015, Supreme Court of Ohio, Columbus, OH; Organizer and Speaker, “The Art of Mediation”, presented by the Chicago Bar Association and the International Academy of Mediators; October 22, 2014; Chicago, IL click here for more info;Panelist, “Mediation Strategies”, Progressive Insurance Specialty Zone Casualty National Meeting; September 10, 2014, Mayfield Village, OH Panelist, "After the Middle Hours: Getting to Settlement", ABA Section of Dispute Resolution 16th Annual Spring Conference, April 2-5, 2014; Miami, FL Presenter, "Ethics in Negotiation and Mediation", Benesch Friedlander Coplan & Aronoff Annual Year-End "Ethics, Professionalism & Substance Abuse", Ritz Carlton, Cleveland, Ohio, December 12, 2013; Panelist, "Valuing Employment Cases: A Peek Behind the Curtain", Orange County Bar Association Labor & Employment and Alternative Dispute Resolution Joint Section Meeting, Radisson Hotel, Newport Beach, California, November 11, 2013 click here for more info; Moderator, "Emerging Trends. Employment Law Solutions", Littler Mendelson 2013 Ohio Employer Conference, Cleveland, Ohio, October 24, 2013 click here for more info; Panelist, "Outstanding Advocacy in Complex Mediations", International Academy of Mediators in conjunction with the Ontario, Canada Bar Association's: "Mediating at the Highest Levels of Competence," Toronto, Ontario, Canada, May 8, 2013 click here for more info; Presenter, "Working the Middle Hours: Keeping Negotiations Going, Late Morning to Late Afternoon", ABA Section of Dispute Resolution 15th Annual Spring Conference, Chicago, Illinois, April 3-6, 2013 click here for more info; Panel Organizer and Presenter, "Beyond Positional Bargaining: Unwrapping the Value and Resolution Package", Case Western Reserve University ADR Society Annual Symposium, CWRU School of Law, Cleveland, Ohio, March 29, 2013 click here for more info; Presenter, "Valuing an Employment Case for Settlement and Trial", The Cleveland Employment Lawyers Association "Employment Discrimination Trials: A 360-Degree View, December 7, Cleveland, Ohio; Panel Organizer and Presenter, "Mediation Representation", Cleveland-Marshall Law Alumni Association CLE, Cleveland, Ohio, September 22, 2012; Presenter, "Employment Mediation Through the Eyes of the Mediator", Employment Inn of Court, Littler & Mendelson, May 10, 2012; Panel Organizer and Presenter, "The Negative Trap of Positional Bargaining", 19th Annual Northwest Dispute Resolution Conference, University of Washington School of Law ADR Advocacy Track, Seattle, Washington, May 4-5, 2012 click here for more info; Panel Organizer and Presenter, "You Take the High Road; I Take the Low Road: Beyond Positional Bargaining", Fourteenth Annual Spring Conference of the American Bar Association Section of Dispute Resolution; Washington, D.C.; April 18-21, 2012; Presenter, "The Evolving World of Mediation & Arbitration", Case Western Reserve University Annual ADR Symposium, Cleveland, Ohio, April 13, 2012; Co-Presenter, "Point-Counterpoint: Whether a Mediator Should Have Subject-Matter Expertise", Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association's ADR Section Meeting & CLE Presentation; Cleveland, Ohio, January 10, 2012; Co-Presenter, "Mediation Representation: Advocating in a Problem-Solving Process. Mistakes to Avoid", Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association's Litigation Institute 2011; Cleveland, Ohio, December 15, 2011; Presenter, "The Mistakes I've Seen Injury Lawyers Make in Trying to Resolve a Business Case", Ohio Association for Justice (OAJ) 2011 Business Torts Seminar, Holiday Inn, Strongsville, Ohio, October 28, 2011; Presenter, "Trial Lawyers in Mediation: Things That Amaze Me. The Best . . . And Worst Practices As Seen By The Neutral", Trial Lawyers of America (TAA) Annual Conference, Sutton Place Hotel, Chicago, Illinois, June 8-10, 2011; Presenter, "The Resolution of a Business Case From a Mediator’s Perspective", Ohio Association for Justice (OAJ) Annual Convention, Hilton at Easton, Columbus, Ohio, May 11-13, 2011; Panel Organizer and Presenter, "Always Be Closing: Seasoned Mediators' Pointers on Getting the Deal Done", Thirteenth Annual Spring Conference of the American Bar Association Section of Dispute Resolution, Denver, Colorado, April 13-16, 2011; Panelist and Presenter, "Artistry in Mediation: Conflict, Improvisation & Resolution -- Remarkable Closings: Insights from Our Stories", International Academy of Mediators Spring Conference, Salt Lake City, Utah, March 11-13, 2010; Panelist and Speaker, "Employment Disputes: Most Frequently Asked Questions from the Parties and Mediator's Perspective", Employment Law of Inn of Court, Cleveland, Ohio, December 20, 2009; Panelist, "Back to Basics: ADR - Ethics in Negotiations", Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Cleveland, Ohio, November 19, 2009; Panel Organizer and Speaker, "It's More Than the Money: The Non-Economic Subtext of Employment Litigation and Mediation", Eleventh Annual Spring Conference of the American Bar Association Section of Dispute Resolution, New York, New York, April 16-18, 2009; Speaker, "Mediation of Medical Negligence Dispute: Providing the Metaphorical Text to the "Dollars Only" Negotiation", Mediation Association of Northeast Ohio's (MANO) 2009 Annual Conference and Training Event: "Health Care Mediation: A Cure for Conflict", Corporate College, Warrensville Heights, Ohio, April 3, 2009; Speaker, "Mediation for Advocates: The Basics and Beyond", Mahoning County Bar Association Continuing Legal Education, Youngstown, Ohio, June 6, 2008; Speaker and panelist, "Mediation as a Tool of Persuasion: Ethics in Mediation", Ohio State Bar Association Annual Convention, Columbus, Ohio, May 16, 2008; Speaker and panelist, "The Trial Lawyer's Pursuit of Excellence Outside the Courtroom: Ethics in Mediation", Ohio State Bar Association Staff Counsel Committee CLE, Columbus, Ohio, March 28, 2008; Speaker and panel moderator, "Mediation Advocacy vs. Litigation Advocacy: What's the Difference?", Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association CLE, Cleveland, Ohio, March 11, 2008; Speaker, "Efficacy in Resolving Litigation - Mediation, Negotiations, and Taxation Issues in Settlement/Effective Mediation Advocacy", The Cleveland Employment Lawyers Association Annual Seminar "Issues in Employment Law", Cleveland, Ohio, October 5, 2007; 23rd Annual Spring Seminar of Gallagher Sharp, "What's It Worth? - A Mediator's Perspective", Cleveland, OH, June 8, 2007; University Hospitals of Cleveland Clinical Risk Management Education Session: Why Patients Sue, Cleveland, OH, May 5, 2007; Panel Organizer and Speaker, "Navigating the Complex Maze of Profound Injury Cases", Ninth Annual Meeting of the American Bar Association Section of Dispute Resolution, Washington, D.C., April 25-28, 2007; Panel Organizer and Speaker, "Mediating Death and Profound Injury Cases", Eighth Annual Meeting of the American Bar Association Section of Dispute Resolution, Atlanta, GA, April 5-8, 2006; "Mediation of Medical Malpractice Disputes: The Neutral's View", CLE seminar on Medical Malpractice, Cleveland-Marshall Law Alumni Association, Cleveland-Marshall Law School, Cleveland, Ohio, December 10, 2005; "Medical Errors - Disclosure and Communication", Fairview General Hospital Grand Round for Physicians, Cleveland, Ohio, September 16, 2005; "Pitfalls of Mediation", CLE Seminar Presentation, Davis & Young, Cleveland, Ohio, April 29, 2005; Panel Organizer and Speaker, "Mediating Death and Profound Injury Cases", Seventh Annual Meeting of the American Bar Association Section of Dispute Resolution, Los Angeles, CA, April 14-16, 2005; Speaker and panelist, "Effective Negotiations Through Mediation", Continuing Legal Education Seminar sponsored by the Ohio Womens Bar Association, December 9, 2004; "The State of Mediation and Mediation Ethics", Legal Ethics, Professionalism & Substance Abuse Seminar, Professional Liability Services, Inc., Independence, Ohio, November 5, 2004; "Attributes of Successful Mediations", 8th Judicial District Conference, Cleveland, Ohio, October 15, 2004; "ADR in the Federal Courts - What Works When: Mediation Do's and Don't's", Third Annual Northern Ohio Employment and Labor Conference sponsored by the Cleveland Bar Association in conjunction with the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio Eastern Division, Cleveland, Ohio, November 13, 2003; Moderator, "The Malpractice Case" Southwest General Hospital Trustee Advance Program, Southwest General Hospital Medical Center, Middleburg Heights, Ohio, October 18, 2003; "Effective Negotiation and Mediation: Transactional and Interpersonal Psychology for Lawyer 101", CLE Seminar Presentation, Davis & Young, Jeffries Kube Forrest & Monteleone, McNeal Schick Archibald & Biro, Reminger & Reminger, Weisman Kennedy & Berris; Cleveland, Ohio, September 20, 2003; "Effective Mediation", Cleveland Academy of Trial Lawyers, Bernard Friedman Litigation Institute, March 25, 2003; "Mediation: Why Some Work and Some Don't", Seminar Presentation, Buckingham, Doolittle and Burroughs, Cleveland, Ohio, June 10, 2002
- Named Distinguished Practioner by The Ohio Mediation Association, 2017
- Super Lawyers: 2008 - 2013, 2015 - 2023