Patricia J. Schraff
Top rated elder law attorney in Willoughby Hills, OhioSchraff Thomas Law LLC
Practice Areas: Elder law, Estate planning & probate, Estate & trust litigation; view more
Licensed in Ohio since: 1980
Attorney Patricia J. Schraff is a principal in Schraff Thomas Law in Willoughby Hills, Ohio, a firm providing legal services to clients with estate planning and administration needs, elder law concerns, guardianships, long term care and special needs planning and related litigation matters. With more than 40 years of legal experience, Ms. Schraff represents the needs and interests of clients throughout Lake County and the greater Cleveland metropolitan region.
Ms. Schraff holds her certification as an Elder Law Attorney from the National Elder Law Foundation and is a Certified Elder Law Specialist by the Ohio State Bar Association Commission on Specialization for the Supreme Court of Ohio. Ms. Schraff developed the Geauga County Department on Aging legal services program supported by the Western Reserve Area Agency on Aging, and is a Licensed Independent Social Worker, integrating both skill sets in her representation.
Drawing upon her training and experience, Ms. Schraff delivers counsel and support to clients across her region who seek to establish a lasting legacy for their heirs and loved ones, create a plan considering aging and special needs and assisting clients in accessing and planning with Medicaid and other benefit programs. She also represents clients her clients in protecting their rights and interests in disputed probate matters.
Ms. Schraff received the Ruth A. Densmore Senior Advocate Award from the Lake County Council on Aging in 2017. She was also the recipient of the Katz Advocacy for the Elderly Award from the Western Reserve Area Agency on Aging, the Ford Award for Commitment to Quality of Life of Older Adults from the Long Term Care Ombudsman and the Jennifer B. Langston Community Service Award from the Alzheimer's Association of Greater Cleveland among others.
A 1973 graduate of John Carroll University, Ms. Schraff earned her Master of Science in Social Administration from Case Western Reserve University in 1977. She then attended Cleveland State University's Marshall College of Law, where she obtained her Juris Doctor in 1980.
Ms. Schraff is a member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, the Ohio State Bar Association's Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law and Elder law Sections and the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association's Estate Planning, Probate & Trust Law Section.
She is a frequent speaker for continuing legal education programs and community education initiatives. Ms. Schraff is also a frequent writer and contributor to legal publications and aging community periodicals. Further, she volunteers her time and talents to local nonprofit organizations that seek to improve services, care and benefits for those addressing the challenges sometimes present aging and disability.
Practice areasElder law, Estate planning & probate, Estate & trust litigation
Estate planning, Guardianships & conservatorships, Living wills, Power of attorney, Probate & estate administration, Trusts, Wills, Will contests
- 50% Elder law
- 30% Estate planning & probate
- 20% Estate & trust litigation
First Admitted: 1980, Ohio
Professional Webpage: https://schraffthomaslaw.com/patriciaschraff/
- Geauga County Department on Aging’s legal services program, Attorney
- Hospice of the Western Reserve's Planned Giving Advisory Council, Member
- Lake County Council on Aging, Board Member
- Alzheimer’s Association of Greater Cleveland, Board Member
- Long Term Care Ombudsman, Board Member
- John Carroll University, B.A.
- Ruth A. Densmore Senior Advocate Award, The Lake County Council on Aging, 2017
- Benjamin Rose Institute’s Katz Advocacy for the Elderly Award, 2009
- The Long Term Care Ombudsman Dr. Amasa B. Ford Award, Commitment to the Quality of Life of Older Adults, 2008
- Jennifer B. Langston Community Service Award, The Alzheimer’s Association of Greater Cleveland, 1998
- Super Lawyer, 2017, 2018 and 2019
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, 2016
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Estate Planning Section, 2016
- Ohio State Bar Association Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law and Elder and Special Needs Sections, 2016
- Certified Elder Law Attorney (CELA) by the National Elder Law Foundation, 2016
- State of Ohio Licensed Independent Social Worker (LISW), 2016
- Certified by the Ohio State Bar Association Commission on Specialization for the Supreme Court of Ohio as an elder law specialist, 2016
- Elder Care
Office location for Patricia J. Schraff
2802 SOM Center Road
Willoughby Hills, OH 44094
- Super Lawyers: 2017 - 2023
Top listsTop 50: Women Ohio Super Lawyers: 2022 - 2023 Top 25: Women Cleveland Super Lawyers: 2022 - 2023
Certificates and credentials
See legal Q & A provided by Patricia J. Schraff
Q: How Do I Set Up A Trust For My Special Needs Family Member In Ohio?A: Creating a special needs trust can be an important way to protect the financial future of a disabled family member. Yet, the process to do so can be … See all answers by Patricia Schraff