Gary J. James
Top Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in Oklahoma City, OK
- Free Consultation
Gary J. James is an experienced attorney who has helped clients throughout Oklahoma with a wide range of legal matters, including criminal defense in some of the most high-profile cases in the state’s history. As managing partner of Gary J. James & Associates, P.C., in Oklahoma City, Mr. James defends clients against allegations involving murder, white collar crimes, federal criminal defense, violent crimes, drug offenses, and other criminal matters.
As a result of his numerous criminal defense acquittals, Mr. James is currently retained by Law Enforcement Associations and Law Enforcement Agencies to defend Troopers, police officers, and other Law Enforcement personnel. Mr. James devotes a vast majority of his practice to defending Law Enforcement officers in use of force investigations, shootings and defending civil rights lawsuits.
A native of Oklahoma, Mr. James received his law degree from the Oklahoma City University School of Law and quickly began building a reputation in the State for his legal abilities and professionalism.
After successfully securing an acquittal for his client in a high-profile murder trial, Mr. James received the 1996 Presidential Award for Outstanding Criminal Advocacy from the Oklahoma Criminal Defense Lawyers Association. Three years later, Mr. James was selected by the Oklahoma Indigent Defense System to defend Timothy McVeigh's criminal charges, including 161 Murder Charges, stemming from the bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City.
Among other honors, Mr. James has received an AV Preeminent* rating for over 25 years from Martindale-Hubbell, the highest possible designation from the peer review service. He has and is included in lists such as the “Best Lawyers in America**, Outstanding Lawyers of America, Bar Registry of Preeminent Lawyers, and US News and World Report; Best Lawyers in America.”
Mr. James is engaged in many professional organizations, including the Oklahoma Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and the American Association for Justice.
A former high school and college football player, Mr. James continues to participate in organizations dedicated to promoting sports and athletics in the state and at the University of Oklahoma.
*AV-Preeminent and BV-Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
**The Best Lawyers in America® 2013. Copyright 2013 by Woodward/White, Inc., Aiken, SC.
- 40%Criminal Defense
- 30%Employment & Labor: Employee
- 20%Civil Rights
- 10%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
Arrest & Arraignment, Assault & Battery, Criminal Fraud, Criminal Law, Drug & Alcohol Violations, Expungement, Felony, Misdemeanor, Murder, Sex Offenses, Theft, Criminal Domestic Violence, Assault, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Wrongful Death, Personal Injury - Defense
- Super Lawyers: 2009 - 2012, 2014 - 2022
About Gary J. James
First Admitted: 1988, Oklahoma
Professional Webpage: https://www.garyjameslaw.com/gary-james
- Oklahoma State Trooper's Association (OSTA)
- Oklahoma City Fraternal Order of Police (FOP)
- IUPA- International Union of Police Associations
- Oklahoma Corrections Professionals (OCP)
- Ma/Com, a division of Tyco Electronics
- Garfield County Sheriff
- Oklahoma Indigent Defense System
- Safety Management Consultants
- City of Edmond, Oklahoma
- Municipal Accounting Services, Inc.
- Billiards of Tulsa, Inc
- Baptist Medical Center of Oklahoma City
- Lifestyle Fitness Equipment
- Cabgal, Inc.
- Southern Craftsmen
- American International Group (AIG)
- Howard Aircraft, Inc.
- Warren Theatres, Inc.
- Oklahoma Investigative Group, LLC
- Comet Cleaners, Inc.
- Galaxy Distributing Company
- Integris Health Systems of Oklahoma
- City of Coweta, Oklahoma
- Corporate Auto and Marine
- TriCorps Security
- Craftsman Roofing, Inc.
- Freshwater Investments
- Motor Gamer Safety Consrltants, lnc.
- Rightway Medical, LLC
- K & M Wrecking, LLC
- Alcoholic Beverage Laws Enforcement Agents Association (ABLE)
- Oklahoma State Game Warden Association
- lntegris Realty Corporation
- Power Products, Inc
- State of Oklahoma
- OKC, LLC
- Jim Thorpe Association
- Central Music, Inc
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Chosen by the Oklahoma Indigent Defense System to represent Timothy McVeigh
Pro bono/Community Service
- Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame, 1996 - Present
- Jim Thorpe Association, 1996 - Present
- Oklahoma State Mock Trial Competition- Judge, 2006 - Present
- Oklahoma Trial Lawyers Association
- Oklahoma Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Oklahoma Bar Association- Criminal Law Committee
- American Inns of Court (Barrister, Luther Bohanon Inn of Court)
- Criminal Law Committee, Oklahoma Bar Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Mr. James has five (5) 1st Degree Murder acquitals.
- 1996-Present Mr. James has five First Degree Murder Aqcuitals in Oklahoma.
- Central State University Oklahoma (1983-1985) Bachelor of Arts-Criminal Justice
- University of Oklahoma (1980-1983)
- Force Science Institute, Realistic De-escalation , 2019
- Force Science InstituteBody Cameras & Other Recordings in Law Enforcement: Critical Force Science Issues Impacting Investigations, Policy, and Incident Analysis., 2018
- All Oklahoma District Courts
- All Oklahoma Municipal Courts
- Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- Oklahoma Supreme Court
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma
- United States District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Oklahoma
- 67th Oklahoma Highway Patrol Training Academy, Oklahoma Department of Public Safety,, 67th Oklahoma Highway Patrol Training Academy, Oklahoma Department of Public Safety, , 2021
- Oklahoma Bar Association, Criminal Defense: Practical Advice from Practical Lawyers Practical Advice on Jury Selection, Tulsa Program, Oklahoma Bar Association, 2004 , Oklahoma Bar Association , 2004
- 2020 Oklahoma State Fraternal Order of Police Convention Annual Training, August 13, 2020, Speaker , State of Oklahoma Fraternal Order of Police Convention, Oklahoma Fraternal Order of Police, 2020
- Oklahoma County Criminal Defense Lawyers, “Trial Techniques and Police Video”, June 13, 2019. , Lecturer, Handling The High Profile Case, OCCDLA, 2019
- 66th Oklahoma Highway Patrol Training Academy, Oklahoma Department of Public Safety, July 15, 2020, Lecturer, 66th Oklahoma Highway Patrol Training Academy, Oklahoma Department of Public Safety, July 15, 2020, 2020
- Oklahoma Bar convention, Speaker, Voir Dire and Opening Statement, , Oklahoma Bar Association Annual Convention, 2001 , 2001
- Moore Police Dept , Lecturer, Use of Deadly Force and Police Officer Rights,, Moore Police Department Tactical Team, July 31, 2014
- University of Oklahoma, Speaker, Criminal Law and the Realities of the Profession,University of Oklahoma, University of Oklahoma School of Law, Phi Alpha Delta Legal Fraternity, February 19, 2015
- Oklahoma highway patrol, Speaker, Use of Force and Officers Rights, 65th Oklahoma Highway Patrol Training Academy, Oklahoma Department of Public Safety, June 13, 2018, 2018
- Oklahoma Highway Patrol, Speaker, Use of Deadly Force and Officer Rights,Oklahoma Highway Patrol, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Tactical Team, November 3, 2017., 2017
- Oklahoma criminal defense lawyers association, Speaker, When is a Confession Induced?, Patrick Williams-Criminal Defense Institute-Oklahoma Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, June 23, 2011 - June 24, 2011Oklahoma criminal defense lawyers association, 2011
- , , Speaker, The Criminal Defense Trial From Start To Finish, Oklahoma Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, April 23, 2009 - April 24, 2009 , 2009
- , , Lecturer , Voir Dire and Opening Statement, National Business Institute, December 9, 2008 , 2008
- 58th Oklahoma Highway Patrol Academy, , Speaker, Use of Force and Handling of The Scene, Oklahoma Highway Patrol/Oklahoma Department of Public Safety, 2008 , 2008
- , , Speaker , Criminal Defense in the Death Belt III; Prosecutorial Misconduct, Oklahoma Criminal Defense Lawyers Association/Oklahoma County Public Defenders Office, August 23, 2007 - August 24, 2007 , 2007
- Oklahoma Highway Patrol, Speaker, Use of Force and Advice of Rights, 57th Oklahoma Highway Patrol Academy, Oklahoma Department of Public Safety, 2007 , 2007
- , , Speaker, Criminal Defense in the Death Belt Voir Dire/Theories of Jury Selection, Oklahoma Criminal Defense Lawyers Association and Oklahoma City University School of Law, 2004 , 2004
- , , Speaker, Forensic Evidence: Deconstructing and Reconstructing a Crime Scene" Crime Scene Presentation, The Oklahoma Criminal Defense Lawyers Association and Oklahoma City University School of Law Year, 2002 , 2012
- Best Lawyers in America * Non-White-Collar Criminal Defense, 2008 - 2020, Best Lawyers in America, US News and World Report, 2022
- ”Honoring a career dedicated to preserving the right and defending the liberties of the accused”, Robert A. Manchester Award, Oklahoma County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association , 2021
- , Best Lawyers in America , US News and World Report, 2021
- , Top 50 Lawyers in Oklahoma, Oklahoma Super Lawyers , 2021
- , 405 Magazine, Top Lawyers in the 405 Area Code, ., 405 Magazine, 2021
- Oklahoma Super Lawyer, Oklahoma Super Lawyers, 2009 - Present, Oklahoma Super Lawyers, 2021
- AV Preeminent Rating from Martindale - Hubbell, 1995-2020, AV Preeminent Rating from Martindale - Hubbell, 1995-2021, Martindale-Hubbell, 2021
- Bar Registry of Preeminent Lawyers, Bar Registry of Preeminent Lawyers, 1996 - 2021, Martindale-Hubbell, 2021
- 405 Magazine, Top Lawyers in the 405 Area Code, , Top Lawyers in the 405 Area Code, 405 Magazine, 2020
- Presidential Award for Outstanding Criminal Advocacy, Oklahoma Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, 1996
- For The Outstanding Criminal Defense Advocacy in 1996, Presidential Award, Oklahoma Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, 1996
- Outstanding Lawyers of America, Outstanding Lawyers of America, 2002 - Present, Outstanding Lawyers of America , 2021
- National Criminal Justice Honor Society, Alpha Phi Sigma
- , Best Lawyers in America, US News and World Report, Best Lawyers in America.
Last Updated: 7/1/2022