Bruce A. McKenna
Top Rated Professional Liability Attorney in Tulsa, OK
Bruce A. McKenna is the senior attorney at McKenna & McKenna in Tulsa, Oklahoma. A top-rated Tulsa attorney, Mr. McKenna practices in the areas of professional liability defense, bad faith defense, employment litigation, and general insurance defense litigation. He provides quality legal representation to clients throughout the state of Oklahoma.
Mr. McKenna graduated magna cum laude with bachelor’s degrees in history and political science from Long Island University. He earned his law degree from The University of Tulsa College of Law, graduating with honors, and became a licensed attorney in Oklahoma in 1980.
In addition to Oklahoma, Mr. McKenna holds an active law license in New York and is admitted to pracitce before the courts of the Muscogee (Creek) Nation and Cherokee Nation. He practices before several federal courts, including the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Eastern and Western Districts of Oklahoma, the United States Courts of Appeals for the 10th and 5th Circuits, and the Supreme Court of the United States.
Over the course of his career, Mr. McKenna has received recognition from his peers for his commitment to the spirit of the legal profession and outstanding work on behalf of clients. He has earned an AV Preeminent* peer review rating (the highest rating awarded) from Martindale-Hubbell for his legal knowledge, advocacy skills, and commitment to ethical standards. He has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America since 2013. He is also included in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers.
An active member of his legal community, Mr. McKenna belongs to the Oklahoma Association of Defense Counsel, the New York State Bar Association, the Cherokee Nation Bar Association, the Muscogee (Creek) Nation Bar Association, and the Federal Bar Association. He serves on the advisory committee of the American Bar Association and the ADR, Appellate Practice, and Professional Ethics committees of the Defense Research Institute.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
About Bruce A. McKenna
First Admitted: 1980, Oklahoma
Professional Webpage: http://www.mpoklaw.com/
- Mr. McKenna is the author of the following: False Light: Invasion of Privacy ?, 15 Tulsa Law Journal 113; A Jury of One's Peers, "The Federal Lawyer," Vol. 57, p.4 (August 2010); Breed Discrimination Laws: So Wrong in So Many Ways, "The Federal Lawyer," Vol. 58, p.4 (June 2011); Biodiversity: It is the Law of Nature so We'd Better Take Heed!, "The Federal Lawyer," Vol. 59, p.4; The Transgender Dilemma, "The Federal Lawyer," Vol. 61, p.4; and "Amusing Anecdotes on "What Not To Do", "The Federal Lawyer," Vol. 63, p.4. Mr. McKenna has authored various continuing education and continuing legal education papers and has lectured at continuing education seminars and in-service sessions for clients and businesses in Oklahoma, Kansas, and Texas. He was awarded a lifetime membership in Scribes for his outstanding contributions as a Notes and Comments Editor of the Tulsa Law Journal. Mr. McKenna participated at Texas Wesleyan University Law School as a panelist at the annual meeting of the National Conference of Law Reviews discussing law review use of technology to reach a broader practitioner audience. In addition, Mr. McKenna is the author of 16 self-published papers on the history and operations of the Studebaker Corporation. Presented a paper to the Hudson - Wheaton Inn of the American Inns of Court on effective / persuasive legal writing in trial and appellate courts.
- Honorary lifetime membership in Scribes, the American Society of Writers on Legal Subjects; Charter Member, Oklahoma Bar Association Litigation Section; Strathmore's "Who's Who Worldwide" Lifetime Member and "Executive of the Year"; Namesake of the "Bruce A. McKenna Health Law Competition," University of Tulsa College of Law. Mr. McKenna is included in America's Best Lawyers since 2015, has been named as both one of Oklahoma's Best Lawyers for the past 15 years, and one of the City of Tulsa's Best Lawyers. He is also included in Martindale-Hubbell's Bar Registry of Pre-eminent Lawyers. He is a member of the Phi Eta and Pi Gamu Mu National Honor Societies. Martindale-Hubbell AV Rating for 29 years., not sure what this is asking for
- Mr. McKenna is a certified mediator from the Harvard Law School Program on Negotiation and serves as an adjunct settlement conference judge in federal court
- Represented the purchasers of a regional construction contractor involving the acquisition of the business and prepared all necessary corporate documents to effectuate transfers of the property, inventory and stock. Represented a regional health club in its activities needed to open a location in a neighboring state. Restructured lease agreements for a property management company related to multi - unit facilities. Atoka (Oklahoma) Memorial Hospital bond construction financing, Raymond James (Pine Creek Healthcare Capital) and USDA. Major licensing agreement and corporate restructuring in connection with personal training services to be provided at Oklahoma's largest fitness group by a national organization. Publishing Agreements for copyrighted songs with administrators and third parties. Restructured and merged various related corporations as part of a larger overall reorganization. Drafted contracts, disclaimers, internet registration forms, and documents needed for compliance with the federal TCPA for a major health club. Drafted operating procedures and practices operating and personnel manuals for a regional health club. Prepared necessary dissolution papers for a major restaurant/club. Represented seller in major commercial real estate transaction, drafting all sales contracts and accompanying documents for the transaction
- Agents of Farmers Insurance Group; Scottsdale Insurance Company; Nationwide; Conoco/Phillips; Westport Insurance Company; Swiss Reinsurance; First Specialty Insurance Company; Oklahoma Attorney Mutual Insurance Company; Endurance Insurance Solutions/Sompo; Nationwide Insurance Group; Great American Insurance Group; Utica National Insurance Group; Universal Underwriters/Zurich Direct; United National Insurance Group; Sonic Automotive Group; Praetorian Insurance Company; Nova Pro Risk Solutions; Murdock Claim Management; Midland Claims Administrators; Gallagher Bassett; North American Risk Services; Hiscox Casualty Management/Hiscox USA; NACC; Hunter Chemical, LLC; First Specialty Insurance Company; Fenton Motors Group; Rockville Risk Management; Endurance Insurance Operations / Sompo International; Sonic Automotive; First Mercury Insurance Company; Employers Reinsurance Corporation; Discovery Specialty Insurance Company; Continental Western Insurance Company; Union Standard Insurance Company; Clarendon Group; All American Fitness & Racquetball Centers, Incorporated; 10Gym, LLC; PT Enterprises, Inc.; MunichRe; AmTrust
- Recent successes include various administrative trials and appeals involving the following: Assisted in the preparation of the petition for writ of certiorari in the United states Supreme Court in the case of Clifford v. Trump. Obtained summary judgment in favor of a court appointed parenting coordinator accused of malfeasance in the performance of her duties. Obtained dismissal of national real estate agent against claims brought under residential disclosure act. Obtained dismissal of insurance agent, joined as a defendant in an insurance bad faith case, against claims brought for negligent procurement of insurance. Successfully defended a national construction project manager against claims of malpractice in overseeing the completion of a construction project. Obtained judgment of dismissal of claims against an attorney alleged to have committed malpractice in connection with representation of a landowner in an eminent domain case. Obtained dismissal of litigation against a construction contractor in a case involving parking facilities. Prepared conveyance documents and corporate records related to the transfer of ownership of a major construction company. Obtained dismissal of an insurance agent accused of failure to procure coverage for a grocery store destroyed by a flood. Successfully defended a multinational insurer against bad faith claims by an insured who claimed damages based on an allegedly improper workers’ compensation premium audit. Successfully defended claims against a national not-for-profit agricultural organization for negligence, breach of contract, copyright infringement, and defamation. Obtained judgment for minority shareholders of a significant private corporation for claims based on majority shareholder breaches of fiduciary duties and refusals to distribute retained earnings. Successfully defended a well-respected member of the national music industry against claims involving copyright and fraudulent transfer issues and negotiated Publishing Agreements following the completion of the litigation. Obtained dismissal order of $4.5 Billion claim against international insurer and its agent alleging conspiracy to defraud. Defended a regional health club with numerous facilities against class-action claims alleging breach of the Federal Anti-Faxing statute with indemnity payments to the class of less than $1,500.00. Defended attorneys alleged to have participated in a Ponzi scheme involving multi-district litigation (MDL) class actions and obtained Director's and Officer's Liability coverages in a corollary declaratory judgment action. Defended class action against real estate management company accused of improper fee collection practices. Retained as local counsel by international oil companies sued in federal court related to arbitration of disputes arising under a collective bargaining agreement. Successfully defended a shareholder derivative action claiming abuse of fiduciary responsibilities in the management of the organization. Defended a national supplier of roofing materials against breach of warranty claims in connection with a public works project claimed to have been so poorly handled as to render a municipal building unusable. Defended a construction management firm against claims of professional negligence in a renovation project commissioned by a major national retailer. Obtained dismissal of claims at arbitration of a security firm working at a munitions plant against claims of dereliction of duty and insubordination. Defended a national contractor against allegations that a renovation project at a national retail store presented latent defects causing severe personal injury. Brought claims of an owner of numerous health club facilities against a general contractor who failed to pay subcontractors and who failed to complete project on time. Obtained judgment of dismissal of a national independent adjuster against a claim of negligence that resulted in a bad faith judgment against the insurer. Defended without payment of indemnity a hospital against claims that it wrongfully terminated an employee based on her gender and as retaliation for a workers’ compensation claim. Obtained dismissal of a claim against a national conglomerate of automobile dealerships for negligent repair of a flood damaged vehicle. Defended a large automobile dealership against claims brought by former employees for sexual harassment and constructive discharge. Obtained summary judgment in favor of an independent insurance agent against an insurer’s claim to be indemnified against property damage benefits related to the presence of mold in the insured’s building. Obtained summary judgment in favor of an independent insurance agent against a failure to procure requested commercial insurance. Obtained judgment of dismissal of an independent insurance agent accused of failing to obtain requested homeowner's insurance. Obtained dismissal of an independent insurance agent based on the argument that the allegations against the agency were fraudulent so as to defeat diversity distinction. Obtained dismissal of an independent insurance agent without payment of indemnity against claims by an insured of a failure to procure commercial insurance. Obtained summary judgment in a federal court for a major flooring and carpet retailer against claims of religious discrimination and constructive discharge. Obtained judgment of dismissal of an independent insurance agent against a claim of failure to procure sufficient amounts of homeowner’s insurance. Obtained summary judgment on a bad faith claim in federal court for alleged failure to pay workers’ compensation benefits. Obtained summary judgment in federal court against a claim for breach of warranty related to water delivery systems in poultry industry. Obtained dismissals with prejudice of numerous claims asserted against insurance agents and brokers for a major insurer related to alleged failure to procure. Obtained summary judgment in a declaratory judgment action on behalf of an international insurer in federal court to resolve complex coverage issues involving viatical settlements. Represented a major healthcare insurer providing numerous coverage opinions involving pending and impending medical and nursing home malpractice claims. Defended an oil well operator claimed to have negligently injured a floor hand who suffered permanent and disfiguring injuries. Obtained summary judgment for a real estate broker alleged to have failed to comply with residential defect disclosures. Regularly defend lawsuits brought against insurance agents where negligence is alleged. Obtained judgment of dismissal as a matter of law of insurance agency claimed to have attempted wrongful repossession of vehicles with force-placed insurance. Defended attorney against class action claims brought in connection with alleged Ponzi scheme activities of a company for which he served as an outside director. Defended a national architectural firm against claims of professional negligence. Defended a national interstate common carrier against numerous claims that its drivers had negligently operated tractor-trailer trucks causing injuries to third parties. Defended an interstate motor carrier and its insurer in a bad faith claim for claimed underpayment of worker’s compensation benefits. Defense of several lawsuits against regional motor carriers involved in injury accidents where negligence was alleged. Obtained summary judgment in favor of a Parenting Coordinator accused of professional malpractice. Obtained summary judgment in favor of an attorney accused of legal malpractice. Obtained dismissal with prejudice of insurance agent without payment of any settlement to plaintiff. Obtained dismissal of apartment complex accused of failing to protect tenant from assault committed by another tenant without payment of settlement to plaintiff. Obtained defense verdict for national franchise automobile repair shop accused of failing to service vehicle properly resulting in irreparably damaged engine / transmission. Obtained judgment of dismissal in favor of trucking company accused of wrongful disclosure of trade secrets and misappropriation of customer lists. Successfully reorganized health club in expansion efforts into bordering state. Obtained dismissal with prejudice of bad faith claim against international insurance company without payment of settlement to plaintiff. Obtained dismissal with prejudice without payment of settlement in 2 separate litigation matters in state and federal court to 2 plaintiffs in claims against 2 insurance agencies for failure to procure requested insurance. After four trials and appeals, successfully defended a large bail bonding agency against regulatory efforts to revoke licensure. After trial and appeal, successfully defended a bondsman against disciplinary proceedings. Mr. McKenna has been involved in more than 100 appeals in state and federal agencies and courts.
- Long Island University/C.W.Post Center, B.A. (magna cum laude) 1977; Phi Eta National Honor Society; Pi Gamma Mu National Honor Society; Long Island University Basketball. University of Tulsa College of Law, J.D. (with honors) 1980; Member, Moot Court Board, 1979 and 1980; Tulsa Law Journal Staff Member, Vol. 14; Tulsa Law Journal, Notes and Comments Editor, Vol. 15; American Jurisprudence Awards in Labor Law and Conflict of Laws; Harvard University Law School Program on Negotiation Certified Mediator, 1977
- Mr. McKenna is a member of the Oklahoma bar, New York bar, Muscogee (Creek) Nation bar, Cherokee Nation bar, Tulsa County Bar Association, Federal Bar Association, American Bar Association, and Tulsa County Bar Association. When the Oklahoma appellate court dockets became backlogged, he was asked to, and did, serve as a Judge of the Oklahoma Court of Civil Appeals, Temporary Division. He is a member of the Defense Research Institute and serves on DRI committees related to Appellate Practice, Alternative Dispute Resolution, and Ethics. He is a member of the Oklahoma Association of Defense Counsel and a member of the Appellate Practice Section of the Oklahoma Bar Association. He is currently a Delegate member of the House of Delegates of the Oklahoma Bar Association and is a member of the American Bar Association Advisory Committee. Mr. McKenna is an adjunct professor at the University of Tulsa College of Law and has served in three capacities. First, he taught the first year appellate advocacy course. Second, he served as the coach of the University of Tulsa College of Law National Health Law Moot Court Competition Team. In four years, his teams won the national competition twice and finished second in the nation two other times. Third, he coached the Jessup International Moot Court Team. Mr. McKenna is a former chairman of the Judicial Administration Committee of the Oklahoma Bar Association, Young Lawyer's Division. Mr. McKenna has (a) addressed first year law students at the University of Tulsa College of Law regarding issues of professionalism in advocacy, (b) lectured second year students at the University of Tulsa College of Law on trial and appellate advocacy, written and oral, in the context of competition teams and actual practice, and (c) discussed with members of and candidates for the College of Law's intra-school competition teams effective oral and written appellate advocacy. He also serves as a mentor to law students at the College of Law assisting them in making the transition from law school to practice. He serves the Board of Advocates at the University of Tulsa College of Law as mock trial and appellate judges in intra- and inter- university competition. He (a) served as a mock jurist in the regional finals of the 2020 National Trial Competition, (b) has assisted the National Trial Competition team at the University of Tulsa College of Law in its preparation for the 2021 National Trial Competition, and (c) served as a mock jurist in the competition to invite members to compete in the 2022 National Trial Competition for the University of Tulsa College of Law . He is a member of the Appellate Practice Section of the Oklahoma Bar Association and is a charter member of the Litigation Section of the Oklahoma Bar Association. Mr. McKenna has been a featured speaker on the LegalTalk Radio Network, discussing general litigation procedures for small claims and civil litigation. Mr. McKenna serves as a member of the Ethics and Grievance Committee of the Tulsa County Bar Association. He is a member of the editorial board of the "The Federal Lawyer," the Federal Bar Association magazine, and served as that publication's Senior Proofs Editor., 1980
- Master, American Inns of Court, Hudson - Wheaton chapter, 2019
Pro bono/Community Service
- Mr. McKenna has served as a committee member and was elected one of three outstanding committee members for the United Way in allocating funds, and performing oversight, for certain United Way participating agencies. He serves as an SSI Representative Payee for the disabled, providing pro bono services. He is the former president and secretary of the Northeast Oklahoma Studebaker Drivers Club. He serves as a member of the American Bar Association Advisory Committee. He has also served as a coach of the Mock Trial Competition team at Tulsa Memorial High School's High School. He provides pro bono advice to the Nottingham Estates Homeowners' Association. He has assisted the University of Tulsa College of Law in hosting the regional competition in the law school National Trial Competition. Represented indigent family member and secured title to family home that family was attempting to take away from her. Provided advice to the Studebaker Drivers Club related to land use restrictions on US Route 66 in connection with various local projects. Presented a paper to the Hudson - Wheaton Inn of the American Inns of Court on effective / persuasive legal writing in trial and appellate courts., 2020
- Attorney Malpractice Defense
- Automobile Dealerships
- Broker - Dealers
- Construction Defect
- Health Clubs
- Insurance Agents And Brokers
- Insurance Bad Faith
- Professional Liability Defense
Last Updated: 5/15/2022