Donald E. Smolen, II
Top Rated Civil Litigation Attorney in Tulsa, OK
Selected to Rising Stars: 2011, 2013 - 2017
Attorney Donald E. Smolen, II, is the founder and principal of Smolen Law in Tulsa, Oklahoma. A top-rated trial lawyer with more than 16 years of legal experience, Mr. Smolen devotes his practice to advocating on behalf of clients throughout the greater Tulsa area and all across the state who are dealing with complex legal challenges involving any of the following:
- Personal injury and wrongful death
- Trucking and car accidents
- Medical malpractice and birth injuries
- Nursing home abuse
- Product and premises liability
- Insurance bad faith
- Civil rights violations
No matter the issues his clients are facing, Mr. Smolen maintains an unwavering focus on protecting their rights, preserving their entitlements and helping them recover the full amount of compensation they deserve for the injuries and losses they incurred. Over the course of his legal career, he has secured millions of dollars in total compensation for his plaintiff clients, and he has gained a reputation for his aggressive approach to obtaining the favorable outcomes his clients expect and deserve.
Honored for his outstanding professionalism and service, Mr. Smolen has earned consistent top rankings and endorsements from his peers as being among the leading trial attorneys in his region. He has also received "Excellent" client reviews on Avvo along with numerous testimonials and referrals from those he has served.
Mr. Smolen obtained his Juris Doctor from The University of Tulsa College of Law in 2003. While in law school, he received several awards for his exceptional academic achievements, including the International Academy of Trial Lawyers Student Advocacy Award, the ABA/NBA Award for Excellence in the Study of Labor and Employment Law and a CALI Award for Comparative Bioethics and the Law. He also graduated as a member of the Order of Barristers and Order of the Curule.
- 30%Civil Litigation: Plaintiff
- 20%Insurance Coverage
- 20%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 10%Civil Rights
- 10%Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
- 10%Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff
Insurance, Bad Faith Insurance, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Wrongful Death, Dram Shop Laws, Brain Injury, Sexual Abuse - Plaintiff, Trucking Accidents, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Medical Malpractice, Birth Injury, Informed Consent
- Super Lawyers: 2018 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 2011, 2013 - 2017
Certificates and Credentials
About Donald E. Smolen, II
First Admitted: 2003, Oklahoma
Professional Webpage: https://smolen.law/the-alpha-team/
- Editor, Tulsa Law Review, University of Tulsa College of law
- Oklahoma Super Lawyers Super Lawyer Honoree 2018-2019
- Order of Barristers
- Oklahoma Super Lawyers Rising Star Honoree – 2011, 2013 – 2017
- The International Academy of Trial Lawyers Student Advocacy Award
- ABA/BNA Award for Excellence in the Study of Labor and Employment Law
- CALI Award, Comparative Bioethics and the Law
- Order of the Curule Chair
- Bioethics and the Law Book Award
- University of Tulsa, B.A. in Political Science, 2000
Pro bono/Community Service
- San Miguel—a Catholic Lasallian Middle School that provides an education equivalent to that received in the top private schools in the country, to the poorest of the poor at no cost.
- Global Gardens—a non-profit organization dedicated to empowering students and communities through hands-on science education.
- Tulsa Lawyers for Children – Tulsa Lawyers for Children are the voices of children in court. The organization makes sure abused and neglected children are treated and represented just like any paying adult client.
- IronGate (Trinity Episcopal Homeless Ministry) – Iron Gate’s mission is to feed hungry people. The soup kitchen provides a hot and nutritious meal every day, the food pantry distributes grocery bags and the kid’s pantry distributes kid’s packs along with regular groceries to those families with children.
- Tulsa Girls Arts School (GAS) Project—a grassroots non-profit art studio in Tulsa, Oklahoma committed to empowering underserved girls through visual arts training.
- Tulsa Area United Way – The Tulsa Area United Way unites people and resources to improve lives and build a stronger community.
- Family & Children Services – Family & Children’s Services is a leading provider of behavioral health care and family services for people of all ages in Tulsa and surrounding communities.
- John 3:16 Mission—John 3:16 Mission is an interdenominational Christian Ministry that exists to meet the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of Tulsa’s hungry, homeless and at-risk. Located in downtown Tulsa, OK, the Mission provides food, shelter, clothing and restorative programs to those in need. Since its founding in 1952, the Mission has served in excess of 4 million meals and provided over 1 million individual shelters to the homeless.
- Eastern Oklahoma American Red Cross – The Eastern Oklahoma Red Cross is responsible for the safety and preparedness of 1.5 million people spread across eastern Oklahoma.
- Riverfield Country Day School – Riverfield Country Day School provides excellent education in a family-oriented atmosphere for preschool through high school in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
- Ronald McDonald House -Ronald McDonald House Charities of Tulsa is committed to providing a “home away from home” for families whose children are being treated in Tulsa hospitals for serious medical illness or injury.
- Member, Tulsa County Bar Association
- Member, American Trial Lawyers Association (2006-present)
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Oklahoma, 2004
- Member, Oklahoma Bar Association
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2014
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Oklahoma, 2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit, 2005
- Member, Oklahoma Trial Lawyers Association (2006-present)
- Oklahoma, 2003
- U.S. District Court Western District of Oklahoma, 2004
- $10,250,000 verdict in the Northern District of Oklahoma on behalf of the Estate of Elliot Williams against the Tulsa County Sheriff's Department and former Tulsa County Sheriff, Stanley Glanz, 2017
- Catastrophic Tort Litigation
- Insurance Bad Faith Litigation
Last Updated: 5/19/2022