Top rated Family Law attorney in Tulsa, OklahomaSmakal Munn, P.C.
Practice Areas: Family Law, Estate Planning & Probate, Business Litigation
Licensed in Oklahoma since: 1998
Education: Lewis & Clark Law School
Justin Munn is a dedicated attorney with over 25 years of experience, currently practicing at Smakal Munn, P.C., in Tulsa, Oklahoma. His proficiency lies in handling complex and contested family law cases, encompassing areas such as:
- Domestic disputes
- Parenting coordination
- Probate matters
In addition to his family law focus, Mr. Munn excels in business and commercial law, construction law, trusts, wills, probate and estate administration, and estate planning. His extensive legal background positions him as a versatile practitioner capable of addressing a broad spectrum of legal needs.
Admitted to practice in all Oklahoma state and administrative courts, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma, and the Cherokee Nation and Creek Nation Tribal Courts, Mr. Munn maintains a robust civil litigation portfolio. His focus remains steadfast on family, domestic, probate and estate planning matters. He is a certified family and domestic mediator, having completed rigorous family law mediation training with the Mediation Institute and the Tulsa County Early Settlement program. He also actively imparts his knowledge on alternative dispute resolution, having presented on the subject to organizations such as the American Subcontractors Association of Oklahoma and the Oklahoma Bar Association's continuing legal education program.
Mr. Munn obtained his J.D. from Northwestern School of Law at Lewis & Clark College in Portland, Oregon, in 1998. While there, he achieved a certificate in Environmental and Natural Resources Law. In law school, he served as an administrative board member of the Public Interest Law Project and was a valuable member of the law school’s Regional Moot Court Negotiations Competition team. Prior to his legal studies, he graduated from Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas, with a B.A. degree in geology and anthropology. Additionally, he actively participated in Archaeological and Geological Field Studies in New Mexico, Arizona and Barbados.
An active member of the legal community, Mr. Munn contributes to various organizations, including the Oklahoma Bar Association and its ADR Section (holding the position of co-secretary), the Tulsa County Bar Association with involvement in its Fee Arbitration & Grievance Committees, the Creek County Bar Association and the Cherokee Nation Bar Association. Moreover, he serves on the Cascia Hall Preparatory School Alumni Board of Directors as a treasurer.
Mr. Munn functions as a parenting coordinator concentrating on domestic litigation cases and has contributed to the legal discourse through a published opinion, specifically in Fultz v. Smith (2004 OK CIV APP 64, 97 P.3d 651, 2004), pertaining to the responsibilities of parenting coordinators. He also works as a distinguished panel member at Dispute Resolution Consultants, where he applies his knowledge as a mediator in family and domestic legal matters.
Acknowledging his dedication to serving the community through legal assistance, the Legal Services of Eastern Oklahoma gave Mr. Munn the Volunteer for Justice Award. Furthermore, in 2013, Tulsa Business & Legal News recognized him as a Power Attorney. His exceptional contributions have garnered further acclaim from the Best Lawyers.
First Admitted: 1998, Oklahoma
Professional Webpage: https://smakalmunnpc.com/justin-b-munn/
- Individuals, families and business owners. Mr. Munn serves as a mediator in domestic matters. Additionally, Mr. Munn serves in cases as Guardian ad Litem, Parenting Coordinator and Discovery Master pursuant to Court appointments
- Fultz v. Smith, 2004 OK CIV APP 64, 97 P.3d 651, 2004.
- Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas with a B.A. in Geology and Anthropology
- Certified Family & Domestic Mediator, 2008 to Present
- Recipient, A Volunteer For Justice Award, Legal Services of Eastern Oklahoma, 2002
- The Best Lawyers in America©, peer selection for inclusion in the 27th Edition for work in Family Law, The Best Lawyers in America
- Super Lawyers, 2012-2017
- Power Attorney, by Tulsa Business and Legal News, 2013
- Super Lawyers, Rising Star 2010
- Presenter, Continuing Legal Education Seminar on Email Etiquette in Today's Law Practice, American Inns Of Court, Hudson-Hall-Wheaton Chapter, 2012
- Presenter / Facilitator, Basic Civil Mediation Training Continuing Legal Education, Oklahoma Bar Association, 2009
- Presenter, Continuing Legal Education seminar on Establishing / Managing Small Law Office, American Inns Of Court, Hudson-Hall-Wheaton Chapter, 2012
- Presenter, lecture on alternative dispute resolution to membership, American Subcontractors Assn. Of Oklahoma, 2011
- Best Lawyers in America selection, Family Law, 2022
- He earned a Certificate in Environmental and Natural Resources Law. In law school, Mr. Munn was an Administrative Board Member of the Public Interest Law Project, and the law school’s Regional Moot Court Negotiations Competition team
- Best Lawyers in America selection, Family Law, 2021
- Tulsa Co. Bar, Fee Arbitration & Grievance Committees, 2008 – Present
- Oklahoma Bar Association, ADR Section, Co-Secretary, 2009 – Present
- Oklahoma Bar Association, ADR Section, 2008 – Present
- Northern District of Oklahoma, 2006 – Present
- Cherokee Nation Bar Association, 2012 – Present
- Creek County Bar Association, 2011 – Present
- Tulsa Co. Bar Association, 1998 – Present
- Tulsa County Bar Foundation, Scholarship Committee, 2021
- Member, Family Court Quality Assurance Panel, 2013 - Present
- Committee Chair, Tulsa County Family Court Assessment, Quality Assurance Panel, 2017 - Present
- Northern District of Oklahoma
- Former Barrister, Hudson-Hall-Wheaton, Inns of Court, 2008-2013
- Fourteenth Judicial District of Oklahoma, 2012 - Present
- Oklahoma Bar Association, 1998 to Present
- Cherokee Nation and Creek Nation Tribal Courts
- Judicial Nominating Committee, Tulsa County Oklahoma, 2020
- Tulsa County Bar Foundation, Member, Board of Directors, 2015 to present
- Tulsa County Bar Foundation, Vice President of Board of Directors, 2017 to present
- Alumni Association Board of Directors (2010 to Present) and Board Treasurer (2011 to Present), Cascia Hall Preparatory School, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- Tulsa County Bar Foundation, Fellow, 2015 to present
- Oklahoma Bar Foundation, Sustaining Fellow, 2000 to Present
- Certified Family & Domestic Mediator. Services as Guardian ad Litem
- Parenting Coordinator and Discovery Master.
- Super Lawyers: 2012 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2010