Eric O. English
Top rated general litigation attorney in Portland, OregonResolution Strategies LLP
A founding partner at Resolution Strategies LLP, Eric O. English focuses his practice on helping clients reach an accord on their disputes without having to resort to a protracted courtroom battle. In this regard, he uses his extensive prior experience in litigating complex commercial matters as well as his background as a mediator. He has successfully resolved matters throughout the United States and abroad. Admitted to practice before all Oregon and Texas state courts, Mr. English is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit. He has received an AV Preeminent* peer review rating from his colleagues in recognition of his successful track record and superb ethics.
Mr. English's clients have included public entities, corporations, chief executive officers and nonprofit organizations, and he has worked on cases involving unfair competition, patent disputes, antitrust, labor and employment, dealer termination, and sexual abuse and assaults. Prior to focusing his practice on alternative dispute resolution, he was a litigation partner at a prominent Texas firm, and his experience has also included serving as general counsel to both a manufacturing company and a home video rental chain.
Mr. English participated in The University of Texas at Austin's Plan II Honors Program as an undergraduate, earning a Bachelor of Arts with honors in 1980 and receiving the Outstanding Student Award at his graduation. Remaining on campus, he pursued his legal education at The University of Texas at Austin School of Law and was awarded his Juris Doctor in 1985. Mr. English then went to Australia and studied for one year at the University of Melbourne Law School. He serves on the executive committee of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Section of the Oregon State Bar and is a member of several other legal groups.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasGeneral litigation, Alternative dispute resolution, Business litigation, Business/corporate, Intellectual property litigation
Litigation, Arbitration, Mediation, Trade secret, Non-compete agreements, Business organizations
- 20% General litigation
- 20% Alternative dispute resolution
- 20% Business litigation
- 20% Business/corporate
- 20% Intellectual property litigation
First Admitted: 1985, Oregon
Professional Webpage: http://www.resolutionstrategies.com/assets/docs/eric-o.-engl...
- Our clients tend to be corporations or individuals involved in highly contentious, and often public matters. We no longer provide a list of our clientele for confidentiality reasons.
- Although we participate in the negotiation of transactions, the transactions are generally in connection with the resolution of a dispute and, as a result, are included in the Verdict and Settlement section.
- Chair, American Bar Association, Settlement Counsel Subcommittee of the Litigation Section
- Member, Oregon State Bar, ADR Section Executive Committee
- ADR Committee for the American Bar Association
- American Bar Association Task Force for Early Dispute Resolution
- Melbourne University School of Law, 1985
- University of Texas at Austin, Plan II Honors Program, Honors: Outstanding Male Student, the Outstanding University of Texas Senior, and was one of ten Distinguished Graduates of the College of Liberal Arts, 1980
- In 1999 James Chasse died of asphyxiation in the custody of the police. Chasse's parents and brother filed a lawsuit against Multnomah County, the City of Portland and others. After many years of contentious litigation, we were retained by Multnomah County as Settlement Counsel. Over the course of the next several months we laid the foundation for settlement negotiations and successfully negotiated a settlement on behalf of Multnomah County in 2009. The remaining claims against the other defendants were settled shortly thereafter. http://www.mentalhealthportland.org/county-settles-stake-in-chasse-lawsuit-for-925000/, 2009
- Brought into a complex trade secret dispute, we successfully established a productive business-based discussion and evaluation process, tabling the filing of the prepared lawsuit. Our client Cardica, Inc. was able to resolve the dispute and successfully amend its license agreements with Intuitive Surgical, Inc. regarding the development of surgical stapling cartridges for use in da Vinci Surgical Systems. https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2016/01/07/800173/0/en/Cardica-and-Intuitive Surgical-Amend-License-Agreement.html, 2016
- Representing DataQuill Limited as Settlement Counsel, the holder of the important cell phone patents, we successfully led a patent monetization program that licensed every major cell phone manufacturer in the world and resulted in over $100,000,000 in licensing revenues., 2015
- Negotiated recovery of $130,000,000 on behalf of Portland General Electric Company (PGE). PGE retained Resolution Strategies as settlement counsel in 2017 in an effort to resolve contentious and complex litigation, pending before the U.S. District Court (Oregon), the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and the International Chamber of Commerce, and related to termination of constitutions agreement with foreign entities. , 2018
- Representing Implicit, Inc. in its patent monetization program, we negotiated a license with Google regarding the Implicit patent portfolio., 2015
- Serving as Settlement Counsel for the Lac du Flambeau Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians and the Lake of the Torches Economic Develpoment Commission, settled the long-standing dispute involving five parties arising out of the Tribes default under the terms of a $50,000,000 bond issued in 2008. The case, involving claims exceeding $100,000,000, was settled as we brought to light the resoinsibility of other parties resulting in other parties paying over $50,000,000 of the claimed liability against the Tribe. https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170215005931/en/Tribe-Settles-Bond-Litigation-Invites-Tribal-Members, 2017
- Following years of contentious litigation between semi-conductor leaders TriQuint Semiconductor and Avago, Inc., and a failed mediation, we were able to structure an unusual mediated meeting - involving CEO's from both companies. The claims and cross-claims between the parties involved hundreds of millions of dollars and included cross-patent infringement claims as well as an anti-trust claim against Avago. The specially arranged mediated meeting resulted in settlement of all pending issues between the companies. https://www.law360.com/articles/341841/triquint-avago-settle-cellphone-tech-ip-antitrust-suit, 2012
- Representing long-term client DataQuill Limited, the holder of important patent on cell phone connectivity to the internet and related merchandising capabilities, we negotiated the settlement of our client's trial judgement in post-trial negotiations. The case, tried before the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas (Judge Rodney Gilstrap), resulted in a $31.5 million jury verdict in favor of DataQuill. In post trial negotiations, the case was successfully resolved on terms that remain confidential. https://www.law360.com/articles/735502/zte-dataquill-settle-after-31-5m-verdict-in-patent-row, 2016
- Representing the State of Oregon, Department of Justice, as settlement counsel, Resolution Strategies engaged in an extensive effort to resolve the multi-jurisdictional disputes with Oracle,Inc. arising out of the failed launch of the Oregon health insurance website. The hostile and complex litigation involved a half dozen lawsuits in federal and state courts and related proceedings., 2016
- Successfully negotiated a settlement and recovery of $155,000,000 on behalf of the Oregon Department of Revenue. The dispute centered around a tax dispute between the Oregon Department of Revenue and Comcast Telecommunications. The resolution also addressed the assessment of telecommunications equipment throughout the State and had a major impact on local governmental finances. , 2017
- The Many Shades of Settlement Counsel, ABA presentation on Settlement Counsel - The Many Shades of Settlement Counsel, 2014
- Case Studies in Settlement Counsel, Case Studies in Settlement Counsel
Office location for Eric O. English
515 NW Saltzman Rd
Portland, OR 97229
- Super Lawyers: 2019 - 2022