Jeffrey A. Turnoy
Top rated Criminal Defense attorney in Portland, OregonMark C. Cogan, PC
Practice Areas: Criminal Defense; view more
Licensed in Oregon since: 2012
Education: Willamette University College of Law
Mark C. Cogan, PC1500 SW 1st Avenue
Portland, OR 97201 Visit website
OUR LAW FIRM CONTINUES TO SERVE CLIENTS DESPITE THE COVID-19 CRISIS. WE SUPPORT ALL EFFORTS TO COMBAT THE PANDEMIC, AND REMAIN AVAILABLE TO SERVE. Experienced and successful criminal defense attorney. Aggressive, creative, and experienced criminal defense.
Attorney Jeffrey A. Turnoy is a senior associate with the law firm of Mark C. Cogan, P.C., in Portland, Oregon. A top-rated and award-winning trial attorney with more than seven years of legal experience, Mr. Turnoy focuses his practice almost exclusively on criminal defense. He represents the rights and liberties of clients throughout the greater Portland metro region and surrounding areas who stand accused or are under investigation for virtually any type of felony or misdemeanor offense.
Handling all types of criminal cases, Mr. Turnoy has become a recognized leader in advocating on behalf of those accused of sex crimes, particularly in the areas of sex-offender registration relief and qualified expungements. So well-versed is he in these legal areas, other attorneys routinely call on him for assistance and support with their own cases, and Mr. Turnoy has conducted numerous lectures and seminars on these subjects.
Regardless of the charges his clients are facing or how complicated their situations, Mr. Turnoy draws upon his extensive knowledge and resources to devise the most effective strategies possible aimed at helping his clients achieve the most favorable results possible for their unique situations.
A 2008 graduate of Western Oregon University, Mr. Turnoy obtained his Juris Doctor from Willamette University College of Law in 2012. During his time in law school, Mr. Turnoy was heavily involved with the Willamette Law Review, serving as the journal's business editor and contributing to its online publication. He also published an article in the Law Review his third year involving parental constitutional rights versus governmental interests.
Along with practicing before all Oregon state courts, Mr. Turnoy is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon. He is an active member of the Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, the Multnomah Bar Association, and the Oregon State Bar, among his other professional affiliations.
Practice areasCriminal Defense
Arrest & Arraignment, Assault & Battery, Criminal Domestic Violence, Criminal Fraud, Criminal Law, Drug & Alcohol Violations, Expungement, Felony, Misdemeanor, Motor Vehicle Offenses, Sex Offenses, Theft
- 100% Criminal Defense
First Admitted: 2012, Oregon
Professional Webpage: https://www.coganlawoffice.com/attorney-profiles/jeff-turnoy...
- Western Oregon University
- Due to the many reviews of past satisfied clients, I was awarded the Clients' Choice Award again for the year 2020., Clients' Choice Award, Avvo.com, 2020
- Received the Client's Choice Award for 2022 due to the satisfaction of clients served., Client's Choice Award, Avvo.com, 2022
- In light of my service to my clients, and the many reviews received from satisfied clients, I was awarded the Client's Choice Award from Avvo.com., Client's Choice Award, Avvo.com, 2019
- Oregon State Championship
- Presented as a guest speaker to the Intro to Law class at Beaverton Academy of Science and Engineering, to inform the students of their basic rights and what to do when interacting with law enforcement., Guest Speaker, Know Your Rights!, Beaverton Academy of Science and Engineering, High School Students, 2021
- Presented as a guest instructor at the Sex Crimes CLE for the Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association. Instructing at the Voir Dire workshop included working with lawyer-students on their jury selection tactics and strategies in cases involving different types of sex crimes, providing feedback, and brainstorming for additional ideas as they litigate their cases., Instructor, Voir Dire in Difficult Cases Workshop, Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, 2023
- Presented a Know Your Rights lecture to an Intro to Law class at the Beaverton Academy of Science and Engineering., Guest Speaker, Know Your Rights!, Beaverton Academy of Science and Engineering, 2022
- Presented a CLE with other attorneys aimed at informing lawyers how to handle the interplay between the various types of restraining/protective orders and criminal charges associated with the conduct at issue in the restraining/protective order case., Speaker/Presenter, Defending Criminal Charges and Restraining Orders Simultaneously: Tactics and Tips, Multnomah Bar Association, Attorneys, 2022
- Co-wrote chapter on traffic violations and criminal charges associated with DUI cases. Provided information regarding crimes and violations, defenses, trial strategies, and penalties. Chapter was published in the DUI Trial Notebook published by the Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association., Author, Chapter 11: Violations and Related Charges, The DUI Trial Notebook, Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, 2014
- Presented a CLE to the Multnomah Bar Association, titled MBA CLE: Sex Crimes Conviction Relief, which explained the process for obtaining relief from sex-offender registration in the courts and at the Board of Parole, as well as the process for expungement of qualified sex crimes., Speaker, MBA CLE: Sex Crimes Conviction Relief, Multnomah Bar Association, 2019
- Law Review Article, Willamette Law Review, Willamette University College of Law, Salem, Oregon
- Provided an update to my previously written chapter in the DUI Trial Notebook for the Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association., Author, Chapter 11: Violations and Related Charges, The OCDLA DUI Trial Notebook, Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2019
- Guest Speaker for Yamhill County Defense Consortium CLE. Presented on relief from sex offender registration and expungement of sex crimes., Guest Speaker, Sex Offender Relief and Other Tools to Help Your Client Get His/Her Life Back, Yamhill County Defense Consortium, 2018
- Presented on the topic of Know Your Rights to a class at the Beaverton Academy of Science and Engineering., 2022
- Presented as a guest instructor on the topic of jury selection at the Sex Crimes CLE for the Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association., 2023
- Presented a CLE to the Multnomah Bar Association titled Defending Criminal Charges and Restraining Orders Simultaneously: Tactics and Tips, 2022
- Presented a CLE to the Yamhill County Bar Association, titled Sex Offender Relief and Other Tools to Help Your Client get His/Her Life Back. The presentation described the process for obtaining relief from sex-offender registration and expungement of qualified sex crimes., 2018
- U.S District Court District of Oregon, 2012
- Oregon, 2012
- Presented a CLE to the Multnomah Bar Association, titled MBA CLE: Sex Crimes Conviction Relief, which explained the process for obtaining relief from sex-offender registration in the courts and at the Board of Parole, as well as the process for expungement of qualified sex crimes., 2019
- Took a felony sexual abuse case to trial, and received a Not Guilty verdict on all charges., 2022
- Took a multi-felony domestic violence case to trial and obtained a verdict of Not Guilty on all charges after a 3-day jury trial., 2019
- Client was charged with assault and related charges after an altercation with a neighbor. Client faced mandatory prison time. After speaking with the victim, we were able to work out a solution that made all sides happy. We then took the paperwork to the judge, and after making our arguments, the judge dismissed the case, over objections from the District Attorney. Client's life was restored after an unfortunate incident., 2017
- Client was charged with multiple felony sex-crimes stemming from a relationship with an underage partner. Client was a military veteran with severe PTSD. After several months of negotiations, and after presenting our mitigation package, we achieved a settlement for non-felony non-sex-crimes, and a sentence of time-served and probation., 2017
Office location for Jeffrey A. Turnoy
1500 SW 1st Avenue
Portland, OR 97201
- Rising Stars: 2018 - 2023