Top Rated Business Litigation Attorney in Portland, OR
Attorney Katherine Heekin is the founder and principal of The Heekin Law Firm in Portland, Oregon. Nationally recognized as one of the leading trial attorneys in her region as well as the entire country, Ms. Heekin represents the rights and interests of a diverse range of professionals, executives and small-business owners throughout the greater Portland metro and beyond who are dealing with high-stakes, highly complex legal challenges involving any of the following:
· Business fraud
· Internal investigations
· Business divorce
· Business litigation
· Professional liability
A certified fraud examiner with the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, Ms. Heekin has more than 25 years of experience assisting clients with a host of business and shareholder disputes, corporate governance, fraud-related matters, whistleblower actions and other serious legal issues. In addition, she routinely conducts fraud prevention training and counsels her clients on effective methods to mitigate their risk exposure and avoid any potential legal problems in the future.
Recognized for her outstanding professionalism and service, Ms. Heekin has earned an invitation to join America’s Top 100 Bet-the-Company Litigators for her exceptional success in high-stakes litigation. She has also received an AV Preeminent peer review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell along with designation as a Top 100 Trial Lawyer in Oregon by The National Trial Lawyers as well as many other top rankings and endorsements from her peers.
A leader in her field, Ms. Heekin has written extensively and conducted lectures and continuing legal education seminars across her region and around the country on a variety of legal topics. She has also served as an instructor at the Forensic Accounting Academy as well as a CLE committee member of the Multnomah Bar Association.
Moreover, Ms. Heekin has served as board member and secretary/treasurer of the Oregon Law Institute, and she has sat on several committees of the Oregon State Bar, including the organization's House of Delegates. She has also served as president of the Federal Bar Association's Oregon Chapter as well as chair and secretary of the Uniform Civil Jury Instruction Committee, and she has served on the board of Oregon Women Lawyers.
A 1989 graduate of Princeton University, where she was recruited to play softball, Ms. Heekin obtained her Juris Doctor from the University of Oregon School of Law in 1994.
- 70%Business Litigation
- 30%Professional Liability: Plaintiff
Trade Secret, Legal Malpractice, Professional Malpractice - Other
- Super Lawyers: 2009 - 2014, 2019 - 2022
Articles about Katherine Heekin appearing in Super Lawyers
About Katherine Heekin
First Admitted: 1994, Oregon
Professional Webpage: http://heekinlawoffice.com/katherine
- Glaves et al v. Helmy et al, No. 18CV42434 (Deschutes County Circuit Court, filed September 21, 2018); Hayden et al v. Dunn Carney et al, No. 18CV24816 (Multnomah County Circuit Court, filed June 15, 2018); By the Seas Investments IV, LLP v. Proden, No. 18LT05078 (Tillamook County Circuit Court, filed April 16, 2018); Patton v. Cox, No.17CV17589 (Multnomah County Circuit Court, filed May 6, 2017); North Fork Composites, LLC v. Bial, No. 14-2-03428-1, (Clark County Superior Court, filed December 3, 2014); Web Analytics Demystified, Inc. v. Keystone Solutions, Inc., USDC No. 3:13-cv-1304 (D. Or., filed Jan 22, 2014); Idylwilde, Inc. et al v. Umpqua Feather Merchants, LLC et al, USDC No. 3:13-cv-02009 (D. Or. filed Nov. 11, 2013); Orkney and Buckingham Investment Group, LLC v. Green Office, LLC, No. C074666CV (Wash. County Cir. Ct. filed Oct. 22, 2007); Boyd v. United Transportation Union, et al., No. C05-1413JLR (W.D. WA Oct. 17, 2006); West Star Construction, Inc. v. BRE Builders, Inc., et al., No. 05-2-18349-7 SEA (King County Cir. Ct. filed June 3, 2005)
- Multnomah Bar Association, Member, Solo and Small Firm Committee (2020-Present); Multnomah Bar Association, Member, Court Operations Working Group (2020-Present); Multnomah Bar Association, Judicial Selection Committee, Member (2012-14); Oregon Law Institute, Board Member (2009-12) and Secretary/Treasurer (2012-14) and Chair (2014-15); Oregon State Bar Practice and Procedures Committee, Member (2010); Oregon State Bar Business Litigation Section Committee, Member (2010-12); Forensic Accounting Academy, Instructor (2007-08); Federal Bar Association, Oregon Chapter, President (2007-08) and Member (2002-07); Uniform Civil Jury Instruction Committee, Chair (2008-09), Secretary (2007-08), and Member (2006-07); Multnomah Bar Association CLE Committee, Member (2004-07); Board of Bar Examiners, Co-Grader (Summers, 2003-04); Oregon Women Lawyers, Judicial Endorsements Committee, Member (2000-02); Oregon State Bar House of Delegates, Delegate (1997-98); Oregon Women Lawyers, Board Member (1996-98).
- Presenter: "Trust But Verify", Business Leaders Northwest Conference 2009; "Protecting your Blind Side: Litigation Readiness Assessments and Audits in the Digital Age," Oregon Association of Certified Fraud Examiners Oregon Chapter, November 4, 2008; "E-Discovery: Bridging the Gap Between the Law and Technology," Oregon Law Institute, October 10, 2008;"Will You, Your Report, the Electronic Evidence Relied Upon in Your Report, and Your Testimony Pass Muster in Court?," AGN-International, May 20, 2008; "E-Discovery: You Can't Avoid It!," FBA Oregon Chapter & Oregon Law Institute, May 30, 2008; "Civil Fraud: Tracking the Kitchen Rats Who Cook the Books", Mary Leonard Law Society, April 17, 2008; "Finding and Preventing Risks in Electronic Information Management," Lorman Education Services Document Retention and Destruction in Oregon CLE, November 28, 2007 & May 29, 2008; Forensic Accounting Academy, National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts, 2007-08; The Top Ten List (and one) of Changes to the Federal Rules, Federal Bar Association Monthly Luncheon series, October 19, 2006; "Managing the Risks of Employees & Technology," The Seminar Group, October 19, 2006; "Preservation/Collection of Electronic Data in Today's Litigation," Oregon Technology Alliance, October 11, 2006; "Annual Evidence Update and Breaking News on E-Discovery," Multnomah Bar Association, September 28, 2006; "Electronic Discovery: What You Need to Know in the Digital Age," Oregon Trial Lawyers Association's Annual Convention, August 2006; "Proposed Amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure," Multnomah Bar Association's CLE Series, November 2005; "Civil Trial From Start to Finish: A Practical Approach to Trying a Civil Case in Oregon," June 2005; "Effective Electronic Discovery," Oregon Trial Lawyers Association, April 2005;"Legal and Technical Strategies for Effective Electronic Discovery," Multnomah Bar Association's Young Lawyer Series CLE, March 2005; "New Technologies for the Presentation of Trial Exhibits," Oregon Law Institute's Establishing and Enhancing your Trial Techniques, Strategies, Skills, and Pitfalls to Avoid CLE, October 2004; "Preparing Your Witnesses for Trial," Oregon Law Institute's The Key to Winning a Close Case CLE, June 2004; "Appropriate Dispute Resolution, Opening and Closing Statements," Oregon State Bar, New Lawyers Division's Super Saturday CLE, October 2002; Author: "Counsel Are in First Position When It Comes to Discovery of Electronic Evidence," Oregon Association of Defense Counsel, Summer 2007; "Proposed Amendments to Federal Rules of Civil Procedure Address Electronic Discovery," For The District of Oregon, Vol. X, No. 1, Spring 2005; Author, "Experts and Electronic Discovery," For The District of Oregon, Vol. IX, No. 3, Summer 2004; "Litigation Technology," Oregon State Bar Civil Litigation Manual, 2004 & 2008; "An Overview of Discovering and Admitting Electronic Evidence" presented at the "E-Evidence Coming To a Courtroom Near You" CLE, September 2003; "Affiliation with the Courtroom 21 Project Makes the Federal District of Oregon a Frontrunner in the Use of Technology," For The District of Oregon, Vol. VIII, No. 3, Fall 2003; "Defamation and Invasion of Privacy," Oregon State Bar Damages Revision CLE, 1998; "Costs and Disbursements," Oregon State Bar Civil Litigation Manual, 1996.
- Princeton University, A.B., 1989
- Certified Fraud Examiner through the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners.
- Selection to America’s Top 100 Bet-the-Company Litigators® is by invitation only and is reserved to identify the nation’s most exceptional trial attorneys in High Stakes Business Litigation matters. To be considered for selection, an attorney must have litigated (for either plaintiff or defendant) a matter with the fate of a business worth at least $2,000,000 at stake., America's Top 100 Bet-the-Company Litigators, 2020
- Top 100 Trial Lawyer in Oregon
- AV-rated lawyer
- Super Lawyers since 2010
- Closely Held Corporations
- Financial Services
- Private Lenders
Last Updated: 5/15/2022