Katia N. Alcantar
Top rated business litigation attorney in Portland, OregonCultiva Law, PLLC
Katia N. Alcantar is a dedicated cannabis business law attorney at Cultiva Law. With over five years of experience in this niche area of law, she efficiently helps her clients protect their cannabis business and succeed in this new market while also guiding them to avoid costly lawsuits, fines and disputes. She has litigated a number of cases on behalf of plaintiffs and defendants in matters involving contracts, commercial leases and business torts.
A magna cum laude graduate of The University of Texas at Austin, Ms. Alcantar majored in political science and philosophy, and obtained her Bachelor of Arts in 2012. Later in 2016, she earned her Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, from Vermont Law School. During her time there, she served as the articles editor of Vermont Law Review, and was a recipient of the Endowed J. Scott Cameron Scholarship, Vermont Law Academic Scholarship and the CALI Excellence for the Future Award.
A native of El Paso, Texas, Ms. Alcantar was first licensed in Texas in 2016 and later in Oregon (2020). Early in her legal career, she served as a startup founder where she came up with profitable business ideas for individuals and helped them set up new businesses across Portland, Seattle and Bay Area. She then worked at a well-known personal injury and commercial litigation law firm where she primarily worked with the transportation and trucking industries. These multilayered experiences now enable her to deftly handle the most complicated cases.
A talented writer, Ms. Alcantar has written extensively for several renowned law journals and magazines on interesting topics related to her field. She has also written an amicus curiae brief to the Supreme Court of Texas challenging a practice influencing the trucking industry. She is fluent in English and Spanish.
As a result of her outstanding client services and excellence in advocacy, Ms. Alcantar has received many testimonials from her satisfied clients. She was named to the 2019 Women of Legal Tech list by the American Bar Association.
Practice areasBusiness litigation, Cannabis law
Trade secret, Non-compete agreements
- 50% Business litigation
- 50% Cannabis law
First Admitted: 2020, Oregon
Professional Webpage: https://cultivalaw.com/team/katia-alcantar-attorney/
- B.A., Magna Cum Laude, University of Texas at Austin, 2012
- State Bar of Texas, 2016
- Oregon State Bar, 2020
- Comprehensive review of legal tech tools through the lens of the end-user., Author, Customer Centric Legal Tech, American Bar Association, GPSolo Magazine, 2019
- Provides a short legal overview of cannabis in Oregon., Author, Legal Overview , Marijuana Venture, Cannabis, 2021
- Detailing three principal methods that can be used to attack inflated medical charges and establish that they are unrecoverable as billed., Author, Challenging Inflated Medical Expenses in Casualty Claims, The Transportation Lawyer, Trucking And Transportation, 2018
- Analysis of applicability of trade dress law to protect furniture designs. Specifically, the circuit split regarding the consideration of alternative designs under the first prong of the functionality test after TrafFix v. Marketing Displays, Inc., 532 U.S. 23 (2001), and the split’s effect on determining the functionality of modern furniture, Author, You Can't Sit With Us: Furniture's Future in Fighting Phonies, IDEA: The Law Review of the Franklin Pierce Center for Intellectual Property, 2016
- Women of Legal Tech, American Bar Association, 2019
- American Bar Association’s 2019 Women of Legal Tech Honoree
Office location for Katia N. Alcantar
11 NE MLK, Jr. Blvd.
Portland, OR 97232
- Rising Stars: 2022