Laurel P. Hook
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Portland, OR
Selected to Rising Stars: 2008 - 2012
Practice Emphasis: Family Law, Divorce, Separation, Custody, Paternity, Modifications, and Prenuptial Agreements.
To go to Laurel's profile on SK&H's website please follow the below link.
Professional Experience: Laurel joined Stahancyk, Kent & Hook in 1999 and was elected a shareholder in 2004. Laurel litigates dissolution cases throughout Oregon and Washington, successfully representing clients in all matters relating to family law, which can include: divorce, legal separation, modification of spousal support and child support, prenuptial and postnuptial agreements, complex financial and business interest cases, parenting time enforcement and restraining orders. Laurel also works closely with the estate planning department to provide comprehensive legal counsel before, during and after the divorce process.
Education: Laurel received her Bachelor of Science in Psychology from the University of Oregon in 1996 and her Juris Doctorate from Seattle University School of Law, Seattle, Washington in 1999.
Professional Activities: Laurel is a member of the Oregon State, Multnomah County and Washington State Bar associations and regularly presents at Continuing Legal Education (CLE) seminars on topics related to high asset divorce, spousal support and custody matters. Laurel was honored as a Leader in Law award by the Oregon Journal of Commerce. The honor was created to pay tribute to long-standing members of Oregon's prestigious legal community. Since 2003, Laurel has been a member of the Portland Business Alliance, and was part of the Leadership Portland Class of 2004. Through Leadership Portland, she had the opportunity to be a "principal for a day" at an elementary school.
Community Involvement: Laurel has been actively involved in the National Charity League. Laurel sits on the board of Child Centered Solutions, a non-profit organization committed to protecting the rights of children in high-conflict family disputes. Laurel has been honored by the Multnomah Bar, Legal Aid Services of Oregon and the Oregon Law Center for her past pro bono work. She continues her pro bono work through the Multnomah County Children's Representation Project. Laurel also acted as a Presiding Judge for the Classroom Law Project High School Regional Mock Trial Competition in Washington County. She is active in her community, with Ainsworth Elementary School and with West Sylvan Middle School.
Accomplishments: As the mother of a teenage daughter, Laurel knows the unique challenges faced by women in the workplace. Laurel presented at the Samaritan Counseling Centers Women’s Conference, Women of Strength, Women in Transition: Forging Our Way Through Change and Challenge by Focusing on our Bodies, Minds and Spirit. Laurel led a breakout session for a group of women, exploring leadership inside and outside the home. She covered a broad swath of life lessons from personal budgets and estate planning, to setting an example for your children through volunteer service.
Awards: Laurel has been included on the Oregon Super Lawyers list since 2008. In addition, Laurel has been recognized (2014, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019) as a Top 50 Oregon Super Lawyers and as one of the Top 25 Women Oregon Super Lawyers.
Laurel was named to the Portland Business Journal's annual "Forty Under 40" award list, a distinction given to leading business men and women, under the age of 40, in and around the Portland area.
As Laurel looks toward the future, she does so with an eye toward building both her business, her family and her community.
- Top 25: 2020 Women Oregon Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2019 Oregon Super Lawyers
- Top 25: 2019 Women Oregon Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2018 Oregon Super Lawyers
- Top 25: 2018 Women Oregon Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2017 Oregon Super Lawyers
- Top 25: 2017 Women Oregon Super Lawyers
- Top 25: 2016 Women Oregon Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2016 Oregon Super Lawyers
- Top 50: 2014 Oregon Super Lawyers
- Top 25: 2014 Women Oregon Super Lawyers
About Laurel P. Hook
First Admitted: 1999, Oregon
Professional Webpage: http://www.stahancyk.com/personnel/attorneys/laurel-p-hook
Pro bono/Community Service
- National Charity League, Urban Gleaners, Oregon Food Bank, Period, Inc., Blanchet House, Operation Gratitude and Youth Villages
- Assisted Riverdale Mock Trial Team and served as a Presiding Judge for the 2005-2006 Classroom Law Project Highschool Regional Mock Trial Competition.
- Member of the Portland Business Alliance since 2003
- Head of the SK&H annual Dress For Success clothing drive.
- Laurel P. Hook Presented "Divorce and the Role of the Business Lawyer" at Lewis and Clark Law School's CLE. In 2013 as well as 2011.Associate, Laurel P. Hook, ShareholderLaurel P. Hook conducted an energetic and informative presentation inLewis and Clark Law School's CLE on February 25th, 2011 at the Oregon Convention Center. She spoke on "Divorce and the Role of the Business Lawyer" which focused on how family law can affect small and closely-held business. Laurel recently presented at the Samaritan Counseling Centers Women’s Conference, Women of Strength, Women in Transition: Forging our way through change and challenge by focusing on our bodies, minds and spirit. Laurel led a breakout session for a group of women, exploring leadership inside and outside the home. She covered a broad swath of life lessons from personal budgets and estate planning, to setting an example for your children through volunteer service.
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology from the University of Oregon in Eugene, Oregon.Law Degree from Seattle University School of Law in Seattle, Washington. , 1996
- Member of the Washington State, Oregon State, Multnomah County Bar associations., 2000
- Ms. Hook has been Certified in the Effective Representation of Children by Child Centered Solutions., 2009
- In 2012, Ms. Hook was honored with the Portland Business Journal's Forty Under 40 Award, which is given to influential businessmen and women in the Portland Metro area., Forty Under 40 Award, Portland Business Journal, 2012
- In 2012, Ms. Hook was awarded the Oregon Daily Journal of Commerce Leader in Law Award for her significant contributions to both her firm and the wider community., Leader in Law Award, Oregon Daily Journal of Commerce, 2012
Last Updated: 5/15/2022