Mark C. Cogan
Top rated Criminal Defense attorney in Portland, OregonMark C. Cogan, PC
OUR LAW FIRM CONTINUES TO SERVE CLIENTS DESPITE THE COVID-19 CRISIS. WE SUPPORT ALL EFFORTS TO COMBAT THE PANDEMIC, AND REMAIN AVAILABLE TO SERVE. Experienced and successful criminal defense attorneys. Aggressive, creative, and experienced criminal defense. Call 503-827-8092 for a free consultation!
When he founded Mark C. Cogan, P.C., Mr. Cogan made a commitment to defend clients vigorously during their brushes with the law. He has successfully defended people against a range of criminal charges, including sex crimes, Ballot Measure 11 cases, drunk driving, federal crimes, white collar crimes, and drug offenses. His renowned practice is based in Portland, Oregon, and serves clients throughout the State of Oregon.
From misdemeanor to felony cases, Mr. Cogan has consistently demonstrated an ability to set clients on a better path toward a brighter future. He uses aggressive discovery strategies and innovative techniques to secure case dismissals, not guilty verdicts and reduced charges. In his 4 decades of practice, he has represented clients at nearly every level of the justice system, including arguing before the Supreme Court of the United States.
Mr. Cogan leads a 4-attorney law firm that includes multilingual staff who are fluent in Spanish, Russian and Arabic, and frequently assists clients who speak other languages, including Vietnamese and Chinese.
Mr. Cogan is widely respected throughout the legal community. He holds an Avvo "Superb" rating; he has earned the highest peer rating possible of AV Preeminent* from Martindale-Hubbell; he has been included in the Super Lawyers list for many years; and he has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America.
In 1978, Mr. Cogan earned a Bachelor of Arts in political science from the University of Oregon (Honors College). He then graduated with a Juris Doctor from New York University School of Law in 1982. In 1994, Mr. Cogan was selected to participate in the National Criminal Defense College's Summer Trial Practice Institute.
Active with a number of organizations, Mr. Cogan is a member of the Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the Multnomah Bar Association and the Oregon State Bar.
* AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasCriminal Defense, Criminal Defense: White Collar, Criminal Defense: DUI/DWI
- 60% Criminal Defense
- 30% Criminal Defense: White Collar
- 10% Criminal Defense: DUI/DWI
First Admitted: 1983, New York
Professional Webpage: https://www.coganlawoffice.com/attorney-profiles/mark-c-coga...
- The Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating: After a lawyer's General Ethical Standards and Legal Ability Ratings are confirmed, his/her ratings are aggregated to create an overall numeric rating for each rated Area of Practice. The numeric rating determines the Peer Review Rating, which includes a rating term and may include a Certification Mark, in Mark Cogan's case an AV® Preeminent™ 5.0. An AV® certification mark is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence., AV-Preeminent (5) Peer Review Rated Attorney, Martindale Hubbell/Lexis Nexis
- Oregon State Bar Association
- CJA Assigned Counsel Program in Federal Court
- Multnomah Bar Association
- Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1987
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1983
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 1984
- U.S. District Court District of Oregon, 1992
- U.S. District Court District of Hawaii, 1987
- Oregon, 1992
- Oregon State Bar, Committee on Uniform Criminal Jury Instructions, Committee on Attorney Advertising
- New York, 1983
- Universite de Caen, France, Rotary International Graduate Fellow, 1978 to 1979
- National Criminal Defense College, Summer Trial Practice Institute, Macon, Georgia, 1994
- University of Oregon, B.A., Honors: Honors College, Major: Political Science, 1978
- National Criminal Defense College Certificate of Completion
- Grant High School Mock Trial Team Coach, 2000
Office location for Mark C. Cogan
1500 SW 1st Avenue
Portland, OR 97201
- Super Lawyers: 2007 - 2012, 2016 - 2023