Matthew D. Kaplan
Top rated personal injury attorney in Portland, OregonKaplan Law, LLC
Practice Areas: Personal injury, Civil rights, Medical malpractice; view more
Licensed in Oregon since: 1998
Education: Loyola Law School Los Angeles
Kaplan Law, LLC50 SW Pine Street
Portland, OR 97204 Visit website
Matthew D. Kaplan is an attorney and the founder of Kaplan Law, LLC, in Portland, Oregon. Serving clients throughout the Northwest in Oregon and Washington. The majority of his cases are in the Portland area and they all involve personal injury matters, Mr. Kaplan has experience with cases involving civil rights violations, amputations, auto accidents, semi-truck crashes, bicycle accidents, brain injuries, burn injuries, industrial accidents, injuries to children, medical malpractice and patient safety, motorcycle accidents, severe and catastrophic injuries, spinal cord injuries, trucking collisions, wrongful death claims and more.
Since opening his practice in 2003, Mr. Kaplan has represented clients who have been the victims of a personal injury. His work has resulted in substantial results on behalf of his clients. Before founding his firm, he clerked for a judge and worked for the Southern Oregon Public Defenders, Inc. as well as a private Portland-based firm.
Mr. Kaplan’s accomplishments have earned him the rating of AV Preeminent* by Martindale-Hubbell. This is the highest possible rating from the organization.
Actively involved in his legal community, Mr. Kaplan is a member of the Oregon State Bar, the Oregon Trial Lawyers Association, the Washington State Bar Association and the American Association for Justice.
After graduating cum laude from the University of Massachusetts Amherst, Mr. Kaplan earned his law degree from Loyola Law School, Los Angeles. He has been admitted to practice law since 1998 and is licensed to practice in all Oregon and Washington state courts as well as before the U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasPersonal injury - general: plaintiff, Civil rights, Personal injury - medical malpractice: plaintiff, Personal injury - products: plaintiff
Animal bites, Motor vehicle accidents, Personal injury - plaintiff, Wrongful death, Dram shop laws, Construction accident, Brain injury, Sexual abuse - plaintiff, Trucking accidents, Premises liability - plaintiff, Birth injury, Motor vehicle defects
- 60% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
- 20% Civil rights
- 10% Personal injury - medical malpractice: plaintiff
- 10% Personal injury - products: plaintiff
First Admitted: 1998, Oregon
Professional Webpage: https://www.mdkaplanlaw.com/matthew-d-kaplan.html
- University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Bachelor of Arts degree in History, Cum Laude, 1993
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2010
- Oregon Super Lawyer, Super Lawyer Magazine, 2012 - 2022, Oregon Super Lawyer, Oregon Super Lawyer Magazine, 2022
- , AV Peer Rating, Martindale-Hubbell, 2020
- Jed Hawk Myers VS Yamhill County. The case settled for $5,000,000.00 This was a civil rights claim where Yamhill County was deliberately indifferent to Mr. Myers's medical needs resulting in a wrongful death., 2017
- Brent Cordie vs Yamhill County: This was an adult in custody that requested mental health treatment and medication. Despite requests, Mr. Cordie did not receive an evaluation for medication. After committing self-harm, he was seen by a mental health provider. Despite his severely increased agitation and anxiety, the provider did not report his condition in a timely manner and Mr. Cordie committed suicide. This case settled for $750,000.00, 2022
- Holly Jean Casey v. Multnomah County et.al. Settled for $905,000.00, 2010
- Jennifer McLaren Estate vs NORCOR: A settled case involving medical neglect of an adult in custody for 2,000,000.00, 2021
- Oregon State Bar: Washington State Bar: US District Court Of Oregon, 2022
- American Association For Justice, Member, 2022
- Oregon State Bar, 2022
- U.S. District Court Of Oregon, 2022
- Washington State Bar, 2022
- Oregon State Bar Association, Member, 2022
- Oregon Trial Lawyers Association, Member, 2022
- American Association For Justice
- Oregon Bar Association
- Oregon Trial Lawyers Association
- United States District Court Of Oregon
- Washington Bar Association
Office location for Matthew D. Kaplan
50 SW Pine Street
Portland, OR 97204
- Super Lawyers: 2012 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2010
Additional sources of information about Matthew D. Kaplan
Find me online
- Another Oregon Workplace is the Site of an Injury-Causing Fire and Explosion https://t.co/fEiH0V4ZZQ
- 2 Area Motorcyclists Die in the First 6 Weeks of 2023, Continuing a Dangerous Trend in and Around Portland https://t.co/Jh8qpoV8HY
- Oregon Legislators Weigh Increasing the Penalties for Workplace Health and Safety Violations after Years of Extreme… https://t.co/BWLobgENLO
These comments were made by fellow attorneys during the annual nomination process.
“Matt is an innovative and capable attorney who is ready to advance the cause of his clients in an ethical, civil yet aggressive fashion.”