Michael R. Levine
Top rated criminal defense attorney in Portland, OregonLevine & McHenry LLC
Practice Areas: Criminal defense, Appellate, White collar crimes; view more
Licensed in Oregon since: 1993
Education: University of California Berkeley School of Law
Levine & McHenry LLC1050 SW 6th Ave
Portland, OR 97204 Visit website
Michael Levine had been an established public defender for several years when he created his law firm in 2002. In 2010, he partnered with Matthew McHenry and the law firm became Levine & McHenry LLC. During the almost 20 years that the law firm has served residents in the Portland metro and surrounding Oregon areas, the mission has been the same: to protect the rights and freedoms of accused persons.
Mr. Levine completed his B.S. at Columbia University in 1966. He then completed his J.D. at the University of California at Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law. While pursuing his law degree, he worked for the California Law Review as an associate editor. Since completing his degree, he has been admitted to practice in Hawaii; Oregon; California; the U.S. District Court, District of Hawaii; the U.S. District Court of Oregon; three U.S. District Courts in California; the U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit; and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Mr. Levine served as an assistant public defender until 1982 in the city of Los Angeles. He then moved to Hawaii where he was appointed by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals as the first federal public defender in the District of Hawaii. Then, from 1990 to the start of his private practice, he served the District of Oregon as a public defender. He received the Outstanding Defender Award early on in his career for his impressive work as a public defender.
Over the past several decades, Mr. Levine has continued to contribute to the legal community. He helped prepare the next generation of attorneys by teaching legal writing and criminal law at UCLA and the University of Hawaii, respectively. He wrote a sentencing treatise, which continues to impact federal sentencing proceedings across the nation.
Practice areasCriminal defense, Appellate, Criminal defense: white collar
Criminal law, Drug & alcohol violations, Sex offenses, Theft, Criminal domestic violence, Appeals, Criminal law - federal
- 40% Criminal defense
- 30% Appellate
- 30% Criminal defense: white collar
First Admitted: 1974, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.levinemchenry.com/attorney/michael-r-levine/
- Outstanding Defender Award
- The Best Lawyers in America
- Oregon Super Lawyers
- On the basis of a writing competition, designated an Associate Editor of the California Law Review, California Law Review, 1973
- Appointed Adjunct Professor Lewis and Clark Law School, 2008-2010
- Praised by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals for representing his client "with vigor and diligence," for submitting a "substantial and impressive" brief, and for exerting "exceptional effort" on behalf of his client. United States v. France, 886 F.2d 22
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in the 2014 edition of The Best Lawyers in America.
- Elected President Hawaii Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys 1988.
- Taught Legal Writing at UCLA, Criminal Law at the Richardson School of Law at the University of Hawaii
- Evidence at the Lewis & Clark Law School in Portland
- Speaker, Conference for the Washington Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- Speaker, Multiple Conferences held by the Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Author "171 Easy Mitigating Factors," a widely acclaimed publication, updated monthly, compiling arguments and cases that support the mitigation of sentences imposed in federal court. Appointed Adjunct Professor Lewis and Clark Law School, 2008.
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Member
- Oregon State Bar Disciplinary Board, Former Chair
- Hawaii Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Former President
- Criminal Justice Act Panel, Member
- Supreme Court of the United States of America
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court District of Hawaii
- U.S. District Court District of Oregon
- Columbia University, B.S., 1966
- California Attorneys For Criminal Justice
- National Association Of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
Office location for Michael R. Levine
1050 SW 6th Ave
Portland, OR 97204
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2012, 2014 - 2023