Russell S. Barnett, III
Top rated Criminal Defense attorney in Portland, OregonRussell S. Barnett III PC
Attorney Russell S. Barnett, III, is the founder and owner of Russell S. Barnett III PC in Portland, Oregon. A top-rated trial lawyer with more than 25 years of total legal experience, Mr. Barnett provides unmatched counsel and support to clients across his region who stand accused or are under investigation for any type of serious felony offense, including aggravated murder.
A veteran of more than 300 jury trials, 50 bench trials and dozens of administrative hearings, Mr. Barnett has achieved remarkable success advocating on behalf of the accused, and he has secured no fewer than five acquittals for murder. He also has experience handling appeals, and he works hard to help his clients obtain the favorable outcomes they seek for their legal challenges as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible.
A leader in his legal community, Mr. Barnett has several publications to his credit, and he has conducted many lectures and continuing legal education seminars on a variety of legal topics. He has also served as secretary and board member of the Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association as well as chairman of the Oregon State Bar's Broadcast Council and member of the Oregon Uniform Criminal Jury Instructions Committee.
He is also an active member of the Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and the Multnomah County Bar Association, among his other professional affiliations, and he holds his license as a certified Oregon Medical Legal Death Investigator.
A graduate of The University of Texas and the University of Oregon, Mr. Barnett obtained his Juris Doctor from the University of Oregon School of Law in 1995. The Oregon State Bar admitted him to practice the following year, and he also holds his license to practice in Texas. He is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon, and he has handled eight appeals before the Oregon Court of Appeals.
Practice areasCriminal Defense
Assault & Battery, Criminal Domestic Violence, Expungement, Felony, Murder, Probation, Sex Offenses
- 100% Criminal Defense
First Admitted: 1996, Oregon
Professional Webpage: https://lawyers.findlaw.com/profile/view/4486526_1
- Dead Man Talking: What the Autopsy Can (and Can’t) Tell You, Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association Annual Conference, June 2008
- Closing Argument—Telling the End Story, Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, New Lawyers Seminar, January 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015
- Insult to Injury: Legal Aspects of Injury in Oregon Law, Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association 30th Annual Conference, June 2009
- Major Crimes and Defenses 2d, 2010, published by Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association. Author of the textbook chapter regarding defense of homicide.
- Motion Practice, Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association New Lawyers Seminar 2004
- Affirmative Defenses, Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association Winning Defenses and New Legislation Seminar 2003
- Motion Practice, Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association New Lawyers Seminar 2003
- Making the State’s Expert YOUR Witness, Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association Annual Conference 2002
- Use of the Demurrer in Defending Prosecutions of Child Pornography Cases, Oregon Defense Lawyer, September 2003
- Major Crimes and Defenses 2004, published by Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association. Author of the textbook chapter regarding defense of homicide.
- State Bar of Texas SBoT#24118058
- Federal Bar, District of Oregon
- Oregon State Bar OSB#960383
- Member Oregon Uniform Criminal Jury Instruction committee
- Member Oregon Bar, Press, Broadcast Council, past Chairman
- Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Past Secretary and Member Board of Directors
- Multnomah County Bar Association
- Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyer’s Association
- National Association Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Certified Oregon Medical Legal Death Investigator, License# CME07152
- Planned Parenthood-volunteer and financial supporter
- Board of Directors of FOOD for Lane County
- University of Texas
- University of Oregon
Office location for Russell S. Barnett, III
917 SW Oak St
Portland, OR 97205
- Super Lawyers: 2021 - 2024