Steven L. Sugarman
Top rated real estate attorney in Berwyn, PennsylvaniaSteven L. Sugarman & Associates
From his main office in Berwyn, Pennsylvania, Steven L. Sugarman serves clients in Berwyn and outlying communities in Philadelphia, Lancaster and Allentown. As the founder and principal of the firm, Steven L. Sugarman & Associates, he has over 35 years of experience in handling cases in real estate law, condominium and homeowners association law, collection law, commercial litigation and construction litigation. He has been involved in a number of landmark legal decisions related to community associations, and has played a critical role in drafting and helping enact amendments to Pennsylvania’s statutes governing common interest communities.
An active member in the professional field, Mr. Sugarman belongs to the Pennsylvania and American Bar Associations and the Pennsylvania and American Associations for Justice, and is a long-time member of the Chester County Bar Association. He is also a member of the College of Community Association Lawyers and has served as president of the Pennsylvania/Delaware Valley Chapter of the Community Associations Institute and Chairman of Pennsylvania's Legislative Action Committee.
Widely respected in the legal community on both a local and national level, he is qualified to testify as an expert witness on condominium and homeowners association matters in Pennsylvania courts, and developed and teaches the course "Condominium and Homeowners Association Law" as a adjunct professor at Villanova Law School since 2010. As a frequent speaker and writer in real estate law, he has presented numerous educational programs for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute and other professional organizations. His publication, "Setting the Standards of Care in Premises Liability Cases," has appeared in the Community Associations Institute's Journal of Community Association Law.
A number of awards and honors have been conferred upon Mr. Sugarman by his peers, recognizing his professionalism and integrity in the legal community. He has garnered the top AV Preeminent* rating from Martindale-Hubbell, and has been ranked as a Pennsylvania "Super Lawyer" by Philadelphia Magazine every year since 2007.
*AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasReal estate: business, Business litigation, Construction litigation: business, Land use/zoning
Condominiums & cooperatives, Construction defects
First Admitted: 1980, Pennsylvania
Professional Webpage: http://www.suglaw.com/steven_sugarman.html
- Cornell University, B.A., 1976
- Klein Real Estate v. Ridings at Brookside Condominium, 67 Pa. D.&C. 4th 384, Lehigh Co. 2004 (a condominium association's publication to its members is not defamatory since the association has a "conditional privilege" to communicate with its members)
- Mayflower Square Condominium Association v. KMALM, Inc., 724 A.2d 389, Pa. Cmwlth. 1999 (requiring unit owner to pay assessments under governing documents and general principles of property law)
- Wrenfield Homeowners Association, Inc. v. DeYoung, 600 A.2d 960, Pa. Super. 1991 (attorneys' fees are fully recoverable as "costs of collection" against a delinquent owner)
- Metroclub Condominium Association v. 201-59 North Eighth Street Associates, L.P., 47 A.3d 137, Pa. Super. 2012 (challenging the right of a declarant to control parking spaces following the termination of the period of Declarant control of the association)
- U.S. Federal Court,1981
- Inducted, College of Community Association Lawyers, October, 2000
- Past President, Pennsylvania and Delaware Valley Chapter, Community Associations Institute
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member, Pennsylvania Association for Justice
- U.S. Supreme Court,1988
- Member, Amicus Curiae Committee, College of Community Association Lawyers, 2010 - Present
- Member, American Bar Association
- Adjunct Faculty Member, Villanova Law School, 2010 - Present
- Pennsylvania, 1980
- Member, Nominating Committee, College of Community Association Lawyers, 2007 - 2010
- Past and Current Chairman, CAI's Pennsylvania Legislative Action Committee, Community Associations Institute
- Member, American Association for Justice
- Member, Chester County Bar Association
- Community Association Institute’s Robert H. Wise President’s Award, 2004
- AV Preeminent Rating – Martindale-Hubbell
- Influential Philadelphia Area Lawyers, Philadelphia Magazine, Nov. 2009
- On April 8, 2019, Mr. Sugarman appeared before the House Urban Affairs Committee at the Capitol in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania for an informational meeting and presentation on community associations in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The program was part of the on-going efforts of the Pennsylvania Legislative Action Committee of the Community Associations Institute (CAI) to educate and inform our lawmakers on the structure and role of community associations in today’s real estate marketplace. Mr. Sugarman chairs the Legislative Action Committee of CAI and actively participates in the drafting and negotiating of amendments to the statutes governing condominiums, planned communities and cooperatives in Pennsylvania., Speaker/Presenter, The General Assembly of Pennsylvania Informational Meeting, House Urban Affairs Committee, 2019
- Mr. Sugarman will present on the program entitled "Resales of Existing Homes and the Buyer's Rights of Rescission.", Presenter, Buying and Selling in Condomoiniums and Homeowners Associations, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2020
- Mr. Sugarman will co-presented during the Pennsylvania Bar Association’s Midyear Meeting on the program entitled “Buying & Living in an Age-Restricted Community Association.” This interactive program explored the unique legal issues involved in buying, living in and selling homes in an “over 55” common interest ownership regime., Co-Presenter, 2020 Midyear Meeting-Buying & Living in an Age-Restricted Community Association, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2020
- Mr. Sugarman presented on the program entitled "Case Law and Legislative Update.” In-depth analysis of the latest court cases and statutory amendments impacting condominiums and homeowners associations., Presenter, Condominium and Homeowners Association Law - Emerging Trends and Hot Topics - Case Law and Legislative Update, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2019
- Mr. Sugarman was a featured speaker at two programs during this 40th Annual Community Association Law Seminar. Mr. Sugarman's first program focused on the basics of community association law and was designed for young lawyers. In the second program, Mr. Sugarman shared his years of experience and insight in the field of community association law as a member of the esteemed "Panel of Pundits." Mr. Sugarman has been a member of the prestigious College of Community Association Lawyers since 2000., Co-Presenter, College of Community Association Lawyers - 40th Annual Community Association Law Seminar, Community Associations Institute, 2019
- Managers Spring Symposium , Co-Presenter, You Said What on the Web? Avoiding Liability in the Age of Social Media, Community Associations Institute, 2019
- Condominium and Homeowners Association Law - Emerging Trends and Hot Topics - "Case Law and Legislative Update"
- College of Community Association Lawyers -40th Annual Community Association Law Seminar - Basics of Community Association Law and Panel of Pundits.
- Managers Spring Symposium - Co-Presenter on "You Said What on the Web" Avoiding Liability in the Age of Social Media.
- Annual Condo/HOA Case Law and Legislative Update.
- Full explanation of the various provisions of the new law, known as Act 17 of 2018, and how it may affect your community association.
- Social Media
- "Sticks and Stones: Dealing with Defamation in the Community Association," Community Associations Institute's Annual Law Seminar
- Transitioning from Developer to Homeowner Control of the Association.
- How Community Associations Work from the Perspective of a Community Association Attorney and Staying on Top of the Issues in the Over-55 Community Associations.
- "Handling Serious Delinquencies in the Community Association," Community Associations Institute
- "Collections and Foreclosures: Staying on Top in a Down Economy," Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- "Legal Aspects of Condominium Development and Homeowners' Associations," National Business Institute
- "Homeowner Associations and Condominium Law: The Essentials," National Constitution Center
- "The Ins and Outs of 'Over 55' Housing in Community Association," Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- "Havoc in the Homeowners Association: Dealing with Failed Developments in a Down Economy," Lancaster County Bar Association
- "Condos and the Courts: The Latest Cases and Trends in Community Associations Today," Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- "Getting Resales Right in the Condominium and Homeowner Association," Suburban West Realtors Association
- "Buying and Selling Homes in Condominiums and Planned Communities," Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- "Buying and SElling Homes in Condominiums and Planned Communities" Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- "Yesterday's Failed Real Estate Development" Reborn - Advice for the Unwary" and "Condos and HOAs101: Conquering the Common Myths and Misconeptions", Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- "Buying and Selling Within Condominiums and Planned Communities", Suburban West Realtors Association
- "Hot Topices and Trends in Condominiums and Homeowner Association", Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- "Hot Off the Presses: Update on HOA & Condo Law", Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- "Hot off the Presses: Update on HOA & Condo Law", Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- "Annual Community Association Law Update: Formation, Governance & Living", Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- "How Community Associations Work from the Perspective of a Community Association Attorney.”, Community Association Institute
- “Staying on Top of the Issues In the Over-55 Community Associations”, Community Association Institute
- "Transitioning from Developer to Homeowner Control of the Association", Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- "Recent Cases Dealing with Condominiums and Homeowners Associations", Delaware County Bar Association
- "From the Developer to the Association: Tackling the Transition in the Community Association", Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- "How the Uniform Planned Community Act Really Works", Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- "New Issues in Condominium and Homeowner Associations: Conflicts and the Courts", Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- "Assessing the Law of Assessments in Condominium and Homeowner Associations", Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- Published Article: Setting the Standard of Care in Premises Liability Cases, published in CAI's Journal of Community Association Law
- "Condos & HOAs from A to Z: Understanding the Basics", Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- "Condominium and Homeowners Associations: Lessons on Liability, Liens & Litigation", Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- "Dealing with Developer's Liabilities in Condominium and Homeowner Associations," Pennsylvania Bar Institute.
- "Legally Green: Reconciling Restrictive Covenants with Eco-Friendly Practices in the Community Association." Pennsylvania Bar Institute and Community Asociations Institute
- "Active Adult Housing - the Good, the Bad and the Unbelieveable", Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- Community Associations Institute
Office location for Steven L. Sugarman
1273 Lancaster Avenue
Berwyn, PA 19312
- Super Lawyers: 2007 - 2023