Jeffrey M. Williams
Top rated Family Law attorney in Doylestown, PennsylvaniaWilliams Family Law, P.C.
Jeffrey M. Williams, the founder and managing partner of Williams Family Law, P.C., concentrates his practice on domestic relations, primarily handling complex high asset divorce, high income alimony/spousal support, complex child support, and high-conflict child custody cases. Having been named annually among the Best Lawyers in America, Mr. Williams is widely regarded as one of the top high-net-worth divorce attorneys in Bucks County and one of the leading family law attorneys in Pennsylvania. Mr. Williams’ courtroom instincts and honed litigation skills have made him a fixture in Philadelphia area high-net-worth divorce law for more than three decades.
He is a fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML), a prestigious honor reserved solely for skilled negotiators and experienced litigators in family law; there are just 1,600 fellows nationwide. He is also a past president of AAML’s Pennsylvania chapter and is called to share his expertise at AAML conferences around the country each year. He is a diplomate of the American College of Family Trial Lawyers, whose membership is limited to 100 attorneys nationally. He has been selected by his peers as one of the “Ten Leaders of Greater Philadelphia for Matrimonial & Divorce Law" annually since 2004.
As the legal representative for a non-birth mother, Mr. Williams successfully litigated one of the first significant same-sex child custody cases in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. While serving as the chair of the Pennsylvania Bar Association Family Law Section, Mr. Williams played an instrumental role in a 10-year-long effort to improve and implement new child custody laws in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Prior to establishing his own family law practice in 2004, Mr. Williams was a partner of an established Bucks County law firm. Two of his former law partners went on to become judges in the Bucks County Court of Common Pleas. Having served as both an assistant and deputy district attorney in Bucks County from 1981-1985, Mr. Williams has gained outstanding courtroom experience and litigation skills.
Mr. Williams is an active member of several professional organizations. Having previously served as the secretary, first vice president, and chair of the Pennsylvania Bar Association Family Law Section, Mr. Williams is currently a member of the association’s executive committee. In 2011, he received a special achievement award from the Pennsylvania Bar Association for his work on the New Custody Act.
He is an active member of the Bucks County Bar Association and formerly served as treasurer and chairman of the association’s Family Law Section, as well as a member of its board of directors. He is a frequent speaker for various continuing legal education programs, particularly on matters related to domestic relations litigation and trial strategy.
Since 2005, Mr. Williams has been consistently named to the list of Super Lawyers in Pennsylvania, an honor bestowed on just 5% of lawyers in the commonwealth. Additionally, Mr. Williams has also been named to the list of the Top 100 Super Lawyers in Philadelphia. He also maintains an AV “Preeminent” rating with Martindale-Hubbell, the highest legal ability and ethical standards rating. In addition, Mr. Williams has been repeatedly featured in Suburban Life magazine as one of the region's Awesome Attorneys.
On a community level, Mr. Williams has held several leadership positions in the Bucks County region: he is a past chair and member of the Doylestown Township board of supervisors, a past director of Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Bucks County and a past director of A Woman’s Place Domestic Violence Shelter of Bucks County.
Mr. Williams represents military veterans through his participation in the Pennsylvania Bar Association’s Lawyers Saluting Veterans Program, which is coordinated through the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs. Mr. Williams is also currently working pro bono for the People's Justice Center, interviewing and representing asylum-seeking families detained by United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
Mr. Williams is a graduate of The Haverford School. He earned a Bachelor of Arts from Dickinson College and a Juris Doctor from Emory University School of Law.
In addition to his legal career, Mr. Williams is the proud father of a daughter and two sons.
Practice areasFamily Law
Adoption, Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Father's Rights, Marital Property, Name Change, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Same Sex Family Law
- 100% Family Law
First Admitted: 1981
Professional Webpage: http://www.bucksfamilylawyers.com/attorneys/jeffrey-williams
- The Haverford School, 1974
- Dickinson College, B.A., 1978
- Member, Doylestown Township Board of Supervisors, 1986 – 1999, 1999
- People's Justice Center, pro bono representation of asylum-seeking families detained by United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (2018), 2018
- Former Director, Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Bucks County
- Chair, Doylestown Township Board of Supervisors, 1990, 1991, 1999, 1999
- Former Director, A Woman’s Place Domestic Violence Shelter, Bucks County
- Director of Public Safety, Doylestown Township Board of Supervisors, 1987 – 1999, 1999
- Bucks County family law attorney Jeffrey M. Williams of Williams Family Law, P.C. recently presented at the Advanced Matrimonial Litigation Symposium in Las Vegas to discuss identifying and valuing unique marital assets. The National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts (NACVA) and the Consultants’ Training Institute sponsored the event in December 2013. During the presentation, Williams highlighted marital assets and liabilities in divorce litigation that often are overlooked. These assets, including change in control fees, post-retirement health benefits and accumulated sick leave benefits, can, in many cases, represent a significant portion of the parties’ marital estate., Lecturer, Identifying and Valuing Unique Marital Assets in Divorce Litigation, National Association Of Certified Valuators And Analysts (NACVA), 2013
- Philadelphia - Williams Family Law founder and managing partner Jeffrey M. Williams is a scheduled speaker for a seminar entitled “Drug and Alcohol Issues in Civil Litigation,” to be hosted by the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, the educational arm of the Pennsylvania Bar Association. The program will be presented live on Friday, May 18, 2018, from 8:30 A.M. to 1:00 P.M. at the CLE Conference Center in the Wanamaker Building in Philadelphia. Additionally, there are 26 simulcast locations throughout the state where participants can gather to view the program, and it will also be offered as an on-demand webcast. Attendees will receive a total of four continuing legal education credits: 3 substantive and 1 ethics., Presenter, Drug and Alchol Issues in Civil Litigation, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Drug & Alchol Education, 2018
- Hershey, PA - Williams Family Law founder and managing partner Jeffrey M. Williams presented “Double-Dipping: Income/Assets in Support/Divorce” at the summer meeting of the Pennsylvania Bar Association Family Law Section. The conference took place July 12-15 at the Hotel Hershey in Hershey, PA. Joined by panelists Michael E. Fingerman, Esq. and G. Daniel Jones, CPA, CFF, the session covered an issue known as “double dipping”– when something is considered an asset or income (or sometimes both) in the context of support, alimony and/or equitable distribution during a divorce, and also how this issue can be construed differently by different states., Presenter, Double-Dipping:Income/Assets in Support/Divorce, Pensylvania Bar Association, Divorce & Family Law, 2018
- Jeffrey M. Williams will present at the Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s “Family Law Practice in Bucks, Chester, Delaware & Montgomery Counties 2014.” The program will be offered twice, once on Nov. 18 in Philadelphia and again on Dec. 16 in Plymouth Meeting. In this program, the faculty will show attendees how the family court system functions, how to work with key personnel and how to find answers to their pressing questions. Participants will get a general overview of practice within each county and receive valuable tips and hints from those who have been successful in family law practices in those counties. To register, or for more information, go to PBI.org or email [email protected]., Presenter, Family Law Practice in Bucks, Chester, Deleware & Montgomery Counties, Pennsylvania Bar Institute Family Law Practice, 2014
- Divorce Conference, "Update on New Guidelines", Pennsylvania Institute of CPA's – Foundation for Education and Research, 2010, Presenter, Update on New Guidlines in Divorce, Pennsylvania Institute Of CPA's, 2010
- "Custody Trial, Appeals & Case Law", Pennsylvania Bar Association, Family Law Section, 2009, Presenter, Custody Trial, Appeals & Case Law, Pennsylvania Bar Association, Family Law Section, 2009
- "High Rollers Support Cases", Pennsylvania Bar Association, Family Law Section, 2007, Presenter, High Rollers Support Cases, Pennsylvania Bar Association, Family Law Section, 2007
- "Trying a High Income Support Case", Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2007, Presenter, Trying High Income Support Cases, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Family Law, 2007
- "All You Need to Know About Trying a High Income Case", Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2007, Presenter, All You Need to Know About Trying a High Income Case, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Family Law, 2007
- "Equitable Distribution Update", Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2006, Presenter, Equitable Distribution Update, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Family Law, 2006
- "Family Law Update", Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2005, Presenter, Family Law Update, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Family Law, 2005
- Pennsylvania President, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, 2017-2018, 2018
- Pennsylvania Secretary, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, 2013 - 2014, 2014
- Chair Elect, Pennsylvania Bar Association, Family Law Section, 2008 - 2009, 2009
- Secretary, Pennsylvania Bar Association, Family Law Section, 2005 - 2006, 2006
- Treasurer, Bucks County Bar Association, 1992 - 1993, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals of Third Circuit, 1982, 1982
- Member, American Bar Association, 1981 - Present, 2019
- Diplomate, American College of Family Trial Lawyers, 2009 - Present, 2019
- Chair, Pennsylvania Bar Association, Family Law Section, 2009 - 2010, 2009
- Second Vice Chair, Pennsylvania Bar Association, Family Law Section, 2006 - 2007, 2006
- Board of Directors, Bucks County Bar Association, 1990 - 1994, 1990
- Member, Bucks County Bar Association, 1986 - Present, 2019
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1991, 1991
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers;1997 - Present date; Former Secretary of PA Chapter; Former Member of Board of Examiners of Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, 2019
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association, Family Law Section, 1986 - Present, 1986
- First Vice Chair, Pennsylvania Bar Association, Family Law Section, 2007 - 2008, 2007
- Former Chair, Bucks County Bar Association, Family Law Section, 1987 - 1988, 1987
- Treasurer, Pennsylvania Bar Association, Family Law Section, 2004 - 2005, 2004
- Diplomate, American College of Family Trial Lawyers, 2009 - Present, 2019
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow, 2011 - Present, 2011
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Preeminent™ Rating, 1994 – Present, AV Rating, Martindale-Hebbell, 2019
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyer” by Thomson Reuters, published annually in Philadelphia Magazine and Law and Politics Magazine, Super Lawyers editions. 2005-2018, Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers, 2018
- Williams Family Law Named 'Best Law Firm' by U.S. News - Best Lawyers, Best Law Firm 2019, US News - Best Lawyers, 2019
- Special Achievement Award, Pennsylvania Bar Association, 2011, Special Achievement Award, Pennsylvania Bar Association, 2011
- Best Lawyers in America® by U.S. News and World Report, 2011 – Present, Best Lawyers, U.S. News and World Report, 2019
- "Ten Leaders of Greater Philadelphia - Matrimonial & Divorce Law", 2004 – Present, Ten Leaders-Matrimoial & Divorce, Ten Leaders, 2018
- Family Law
Office location for Jeffrey M. Williams
43 North Pine Street
Doylestown, PA 18901
- Super Lawyers: 2005 - 2023