Peter A. Pentz
Top Rated Workers' Compensation Attorney in Erie, PA
Peter A. Pentz is the founder of his own law firm and has represented people in Erie, Pennsylvania, and throughout Western Pennsylvania for more than 30 years. Mr. Pentz is a dedicated advocate for his clients, representing people in the areas of workers' compensation, Social Security Disability, veterans' disability benefits, civil rights and employment law matters.
Before attending law school, Mr. Pentz graduated his Bachelor of Science from The Pennsylvania State University. He then attended The Pennsylvania State University's Dickinson School of Law and graduated with his Juris Doctor in 1989. He was subsequently admitted to practice law before all of the state courts of Pennsylvania, before the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit, and before all of the state courts of New York.
Mr. Pentz was one of the first attorneys in Pennsylvania to be certified as a workers' compensation law specialist by the Pennsylvania Bar Association. Over his career, he has built an excellent reputation among his peers in the legal community and his clients. Mr. Pentz has been rated as AV Preeminent* rating through Martindale-Hubbell, which is the highest peer-reviewed rating that an attorney can earn through the organization. He has also been listed in The Best Lawyers in America directory since 2013.
Dedicated to his profession and his community, Mr. Pentz is an active member of several legal and community organizations. He serves on the board of directors for Kids' Chance of Pennsylvania and is the past chairman of the workers' compensation section of the Erie County Bar Association. Mr. Pentz is a sought-after presenter and has presented at numerous professional workshops, symposiums and conferences.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 20%Workers' Compensation: Employer/Insurance
- 20%Social Security Disability
- 20%Workers' Compensation: Claimant
- 10%Civil Rights
- 10%Employment & Labor: Employee
- 10%Military/Veterans Law
Disability, Employment Law - Employee, Veteran's Benefits, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Wrongful Death, Trucking Accidents, Premises Liability - Plaintiff
- Super Lawyers: 2012 - 2017, 2020 - 2022
About Peter A. Pentz
First Admitted: 1989, Pennsylvania
Professional Webpage: https://www.pentzlaw.com/attorney/pentz-peter-a/
- PA Careerlink of Lawrence County, February 2014
- Knox Firm's Litigation Law Symposium, multiple
- Knox Firm's Workplace Law Forum, November 2013
- Annual Workers' Compensation Bureau Conference in Hershey, (multiple including 2017)
- Annual Workers’ Compensation Bureau Conference in Hershey; Workers’ Compensation Update, Society of Healthcare Human Resource Professionals of PA; Managing Workers’ Compensation Claims, Keystone Community Education Council; SEAK Annual WC Symposium, 2016; Multiple seminars for clients in-house, as well as for industry groups, manufacturing associations and civic groups
- State Workers Insurance Fund, February 2014
- PBA Centennial Ethics Forum, Erie, PA, January, 2015
- PBA Centennial Workers' Compensation Gala/Dinner, Hershey, PA, May, 2015
- SEAL National Workers' Compensation Symposium, Cape Cod, MA, June, 2016
- PBA Fall Section Meeting, Hershey, PA, November, 2016
- Bench-Bar Workers' Compensation Seminar, Hershey, PA April, 2017
- Dickinson Journal of International Law, The Dickinson School of Law
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Chair of PBA Workers' Compensation during its Centennial Celebration in 2015
- Among the first group of practitioners to be certified by the Pennsylvania Bar Association as a specialist in workers’ compensation; Successfully defended a workers’ compensation claim on grounds that the claimant’s receipt of benefits under the Jones Act was his exclusive remedy; Successfully defended a large manufacturer against a series of over 20 hearing loss cases brought on by union sponsored testing; Obtained a defense verdict for the Commonwealth against a highly contested psychological injury claim involving over 25 witnesses; Involved in extensive litigation for manufacturers in Northwest Pennsylvania that established the employer’s right to use funded alternative employment for modified duty, reducing employer costs and providing an additional option in certain workers’ compensation cases.
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Workers' Compensation Section, Committee Member, Bench-Bar Think Tank, Committee Chair, Executive Nomination Committee, Past Committee Member, Centennial Anniversary of W.C. Act Committee (Treasurer), Past Committee Member/chair – Fall Section Meeting Committee, Past Committee Member – Workers' Compensation Liaison Committee
- Erie County Bar Association, Workers Compensation Section, Past Chairman; Pennsylvania Bar Association, Workers Compensation Section, Executive Council Member, Former President; WC Certification Committee, Pa. Bar Association; Lake Erie Claims Association; Pa. Self Insured Association, associate member; Pa. Defense Institute
- National Fuel Gas Company; Roman Catholic Diocese of Erie; Erie School District; O-I, Inc.; HCF, Inc.; Eastern Alliance Insurance; Pa. Security Fund
Pro bono/Community Service
- Kids' Chance of Pennsylvania, Board of Directors; Pennsylvania Bar Association, 100th Anniversary of Workers’ Compensation Act Committee; United Way, Program Review Committee, Allocation Panel; Pennsylvania Defense Institute; Pennsylvania Self Insureds Association
- Dickinson School of Law, Class Agent
- Included in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers in Workers' Compensation since 2012
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America®, Woodward/White, Inc. (Workers’ Compensation Law - Employers), 2013-2018
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated
- Pennsylvania State University, 1986, B.S. in Finance; Pennsylvania State University Supreme Court, 1985, 1986
- Certified as a Workers' Compensation Specialist by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court; in the initial certification group and recertified in 2020., 2015
- Pennsylvania, 1989; New York, 2010; U.S. District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit; Certified as a Workers' Compensation Law Specialist, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Healthcare & Hospitals
- Nursing Homes
- School Districts
Last Updated: 5/15/2022