Top Rated DUI-DWI Attorney in Harrisburg, PA
- Free Consultation
The founder of The Dorward Law Firm, Shawn Dorward focuses his practice exclusively on criminal defense matters. Working out of the firm's office in Harrisburg, he provides representation to clients throughout Pennsylvania. Admitted to practice before all Pennsylvania state courts since 2008, Mr. Dorward is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit.
Mr. Dorward's client base consists of people who have been charged by the state or federal government with having committed a misdemeanor or felony offenses. A significant portion of his caseload is made up of defending against allegations of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, and he has been particularly successful in mounting challenges to Breathalyzer and blood test results. In addition to his DUI work, Mr. Dorward's defense experience has included assault and other violent crimes, drug possession and distribution, sex crimes, and traffic violations. He has been able to obtain positive results for many of his clients, through dismissals, acquittals, the negotiation of favorable plea agreements with the prosecution, and reversals on appeal. Mr. Dorward's fellow attorneys have taken note of his successful track record and a high degree of ethics, and they have awarded him an "Excellent" peer review rating through Avvo.
The Vice-Chairman and founding member of The Pennsylvania Association for Drunk Driving Defense Attorneys, Inc., Mr. Dorward is active in several other legal organizations as well, including the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and The National College for DUI Defense, Inc. A 2004 recipient of a Bachelor of Science from Temple University, Mr. Dorward received his legal education at the Thurgood Marshall School of Law in Houston and was awarded his Juris Doctor in 2007.
About Shawn Dorward
First Admitted: 2008, Pennsylvania
Professional Webpage: https://www.thedorwardlawfirm.com/our-team/shawn-dorward/
- DUI Defense Lawyers Association (DUIDLA), Member
- Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- Pennsylvania, 2008
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- Admitted to the Supreme Court of the United States of America, 2012
- Admitted to the United States Third Cuirt - Middle District, 2009
- Admitted to the United States Third Circuit Court of Appeals, 2009
- Bachelor of Science from Temple University, Philadelphia, PA. Sport Management major, 2004
- Presented on the topic of Drug Recognition Evaluations - The DRE Program. The main faculty members were Dr. Jimmie Valentine and Dr. Carrie Valentine. Attorney Tim Barrouk also presented at this CLE, 2018, Faculty, Driving Under the Influence of Drugs (DUID): Uncuffing the Commonwealth's Impaired Driving Case, Criminal Defense/ DUI Attorneys
Pro bono/Community Service
- National College for DUI Defense, Member
- Client was charged with felony drug delivery offenses for an incident where narcotics were found in the trunk of his car. Client was with a friend at a hotel who was wanted on a felony warrant. Based on intel the police had received they set up surveillance at the hotel and ultimately gained entry into the hotel room where our client was staying. After searching the room and everyone in it, they did not find anything so they released our client. Our client walked away from the hotel. After he left the scene police accessed our clients vehicle and found drugs that were believed to belong to the person they had the felony warrant for and our clients. At court, we filed a motion to suppress evidence arguing that in order to gain entry into our clients car the police needed a search warrant. The Court and eventually the District Attorney’s Office agreed. All charges were dismissed. , 2021
- Client faced a 2nd offense DUI. Stopped for crossing lane lines, but video did not show that it was anything more than momentary and minor deviation from his lane of travel. Filed suppression arguing that the officer did not have either reasonable suspicion or probable cause to stop our clients truck and the trial court granted it. , 2021
- Client convicted of Homicide by Vehicle While DUI and other related offenses. Successfully appealed to the Pennsylvania Superior Court, arguing among other issues that the statute that allowed for a warrantless blood draw was unconstitutional and that the Commonwealth did not establish the necessary exigent circumstances to allow for a warrantless blood draw. The Superior Court entered an order vacating clients conviction and remanded the matter to the trial court. The Commonwealth filed a Petition for Allowance of Appeal with the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, which was granted. This case is currently before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court for further review. , 2020
Last Updated: 5/15/2022