Robert C. Gerhard, III
Top Rated Elder Law Attorney in Jenkintown, PA
Robert C. Gerhard, III is an elder law specialist with the Montgomery County elder law firm of Gerhard & Gerhard, P.C., located in Jenkintown, Pennsylvania. His practice is devoted exclusively to elder law matters, with an emphasis on Medicaid law and asset protection for families facing nursing home situations, including appeals for clients whose Medicaid benefits have been denied or discontinued. Mr. Gerhard is certified as an elder law attorney by the National Elder Law Foundation, as approved by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court and the American Bar Association. He one of just a few attorneys in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania who can claim this distinction. Attorney Gerhard authored the Pennsylvania law treatise on Medical Assistance long-term care benefits. His treatise, Pennsylvania Medicaid: Long-Term Care, now in its 18th edition, has been fully updated for 2022. It is updated annually and purchased by hundreds of lawyers each year from across Pennsylvania. Gerhard was one of several attorneys who contributed to the law treatise, Pennsylvania Elder Law, Fifth Edition, published by the PBI Press. Mr. Gerhard is past chair of the Pennsylvania Bar Association's Elder Law Section, and currently president-elect of the Pennsylvania Association of Elder Law Attorneys. He served as chair of the Montgomery Bar Association's Elder Law Committee for over 15 years. Gerhard is a frequent lecturer at continuing legal education seminars for Pennsylvania lawyers on elder law subjects, primarily teaching on the topics of eligibility for Medicaid long-term care benefits, Pennsylvania's estate recovery program, and protection of assets from nursing home costs for the spouse at home.
Mr. Gerhard holds an AV Preeminent* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell and is a member of several professional organizations, including the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys and the Montgomery County Estate Planning Council and the Philadelphia Estate Planning Council. He has been selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers 2005-2022, as seen in both Philadelphia magazine and Pennsylvania Super Lawyers.
Mr. Gerhard was elected as a Fellow of The American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC). ACTEC is an organization of approximately 2,600 trust and estate attorneys elected to membership by demonstrating the highest level of integrity, commitment to the profession, competence, and experience as trust and estate counselors.
Bob enjoys tennis, pickleball, any activity involving the ocean, and his family dog, a high strung but loveable Boston Terrier.
*AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell peer review ratings fall into two categories: legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 50%Elder Law
- 50%Estate Planning & Probate
- Super Lawyers: 2005 - 2022
Certificates and Credentials
About Robert C. Gerhard, III
First Admitted: 1995, Pennsylvania
Professional Webpage: http://www.paelderlaw.net/about/credentials/
- Representation of seniors and agents under power of attorney of seniors facing nursing home placement and long-term care needs. Attorney Gerhard reviews nursing home admissions contracts, prepares estate and disability planning documents, advises agents under powers of attorney on how they should properly carry out their responsibilities, provides advice on how to protect assets legally from nursing home costs by following the applicable laws and regulations, assists with the Medicaid application process and pursues appeals for those who have been denied Medicaid benefits for long-term care. Mr. Gerhard's firm also offers legal services with respect to estate and trust administration, including preparation of Pennsylvania inheritance tax and federal estate tax returns.
- Dickinson College, Carlisle, Pennsylvania, B.A.
- Pennsylvania State University, Dickinson School of Law, Carlisle, Pennsylvania, J.D.
Pro bono/Community Service
- Past President of Rotary Club of Glenside
- Guy Gundaker Fellow
- Paul Harris Fellow
- Rotary Club of Glenside
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Advanced Tax Degree: Villanova University School of Law (LL.M.) Taxation, 1998
- "Best Lawyers in Philadelphia", "Best Lawyers in America", 2020
- Honored as chapter member of the year (for the second time) by the Pennsylvania chapter of the National Association of Elder Law Attorneys., Chapter Member of the Year, Pennsylvania Chapter, National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Pennsylvania Chapter, 2022
- Honored as chapter member of the year by the Pennsylvania chapter of the National Association of Elder Law Attorneys., Chapter Member of the Year, National Association of Elder Law Attorneys, 2019
- Robert C. Gerhard III received the Excellence in Elder Law Award from the Pennsylvania Bar Association (PBA) Elder Law Section. The award recognizes Gerhard for "superior professional efforts in the field of elder law, significant contributions to the legal profession and noteworthy service to the elderly." The award was presented during the 17th Annual Elder Law Institute at the Pennsylvania Convention Center, Philadelphia, Excellence in Elder Law Award, Pennsylvania Bar Association, Elder Law Section, 2014
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2020 Selected by his peers to be included
- Philadelphia Inquirer, 2007 Neighbor's Choice Award in "Law"
- Five Star: Best in Client Satisfaction Weath Manager for 2009, in category of Long-term Care., Philadelphia Magazine, November 2009
- "Five Star Wealth Manager", Philadelphia Magazine, 2011 Edition
- Pennsylvania Legal Intelligencer, 2006 Lawyer on the Fast Track
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Preeminent rated 2003 - 2019
- Legal specialization: Certified as an Elder Law Attorney by the National Elder Law Foundation, as accredited by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court. Re-certified December 2020 until September 2026., 2021
- Tax Degree: Villanova University School of Law, Graduate Tax Program (LL.M. Taxation), 1998
- Pennsylvania Medicaid, Long-Term Care is an elder law treatise providing in-depth explanation and analysis of Pennsylvania Medicaid (Medical Assistance) as it relates to the payment of long-term care. Updated and revised annually by Robert C. Gerhard, III. , Author of Law Treatise, Pennsylvania Medicaid, Long-Term Care, George T. Bisel Company, 2022
- Pennsylvania Mediciad Long-term Care Lawsource is a companion work to the Pennsyvania Medicaid Long-term Care treatise which provides easy reference to the statutes, regulations, significant cases, and DPW statements of policy referenced in the treatise. (605 pages). , www.bisel.com/products.html#elder
- A law treatise covering a broad array of topics in Pennsylvania elder law, with chapters written by leading attorneys who are experts in their respective fields. Robert C. Gerhard, III contributed to the chapter on Pennsylvania's Medical Assistance Estate Recovery Program., Co-Author, Estate Recovery Chapter, Pennsylvania Elder Law, Fifth Edition, PBI Press, Elder Law Attorneys, 2019
- Co-Author and Editor, The Montgomery County Elder Law Handbook
- Co-Author and Editor, The Montgomery County Elder Law Reference Guide.
- Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare's Estate Recovery Program- Third Party Liability, Pennsylvania Bar News, August 5, 1996
- Criminalization of Asset Transfers to Qualify for Medical Assistance, Pennsylvania Bar News, January 27, 1997
- Applying for Medicaid: New Law Focuses Criminal Penalties on Lawyers, Pennsylvania Bar News, November 24, 1997
- Priority of Federal Tax Liens in Insolvent Decedent’s Estate, Philadelphia Real Estate Lawyer, Philadelphia Bar Association Real Property Newsletter, Vol. 14, Issue 1, March, 1999
- Time Management for Lawyers, The Pennsylvania Lawyer, Annual Tech Issue, September - October, 2001
- Time Management Tips, Getting and Staying Organized, Solo & Small Firm Practice News, Vol. 24, No 2, Fall 2007, page 10
- Immediate Past President. Served as President, Pennsylvania Association of Elder Law Attorneys (PAELA) for two years, 2020 & 2021. Charter member., 2022
- Fellow, The American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC), 2022
- Montgomery Bar Association (MBA), Served as Chair of Elder Law Committee for 18 years. Served on MBA Board of Directors and MBA Board of Directors Executive Commitee. , 2017
- Member, National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, 1996 - Present, 2022
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Elder Law Section, 2002 - Present. On Elder Law Section Council ex officio as past chair., 2022
- Member, Philadelphia Estate Planning Council, 2000 - Present, 2022
- Served as Chair of the Mongomery Bar Association's Elder Law Committee for 18 years, 2017
- Montgomery Bar Association's Leadership Academy, Mentor (2016 and 2017), 2017
- Past Chair, Pennsylvania Bar Association, Elder Law Section
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association, Elder Law Section, 2002 - Present
- Member, Montgomery County Estate Planning Council, 2019
- Served on Pennsylvania Bar Association's Nominating Committee, 2014
- Pennsylvania Association Of Elder Law Attorneys (PAELA)
Last Updated: 5/15/2022