Carmen P. Belefonte
Top rated class action & mass torts attorney in Media, PennsylvaniaSaltz Mongeluzzi & Bendesky P.C.
Practice Areas: Class action & mass torts, Personal injury, Medical malpractice; view more
Licensed in Pennsylvania since: 1965
Education: Pennsylvania State University The Dickinson School of Law
Saltz Mongeluzzi & Bendesky P.C.20 West Third Street
Media, PA 19063 Visit website
Carmen P. Belefonte is a partner at The Law Firm of Saltz Mongeluzzi & Bendesky PC and the managing attorney at the firm's office in Media, Pennsylvania. Focusing his practice on personal injury and wrongful death litigation, he assists plaintiffs throughout the state who have been harmed by the negligence of other parties. While his particular emphasis is on hospital negligence, delayed diagnoses and other forms of medical malpractice, Mr. Belefonte also handles cases involving premises liability, nonmedical professional liability and mass torts - opioid litigation .
In 1962, Mr. Belefonte received a Bachelor of Business Administration in accounting from the University of Notre Dame. He then pursued his legal studies at The Pennsylvania State University Dickinson School of Law and obtained his Juris Doctor in 1995. While in law school, Mr. Belefonte was the editor of what was then called The Dickinson Law Review, and he was a member of the Woolsack Honor Society. After graduation, he joined the Judge Advocate General's Corps of the United States Army, where he spent three years as a prosecutor, defense counsel and chief of military justice before entering private practice. He merged his Media-based practice with The Law Firm of Saltz Mongeluzzi & Bendesky PC in 2006. Admitted to practice before all Pennsylvania state courts, Mr. Belefonte is also admitted to practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces and the Supreme Court of the United States.
The representative results that Mr. Belefonte has been able to obtain on behalf of his clients include a $12 million settlement for the life care of a 2-year-old boy who suffered brain damage due to an emergency room misdiagnosis. His fellow professionals have taken note of his successes and have awarded him an AV Preeminent* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell and a "Superb" peer review rating through Avvo.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasClass action/mass torts: plaintiff, Personal injury - general: plaintiff, Personal injury - medical malpractice: plaintiff
Personal injury - plaintiff, Brain injury, Premises liability - plaintiff, Medical malpractice
- 80% Class action/mass torts: plaintiff
- 10% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
- 10% Personal injury - medical malpractice: plaintiff
First Admitted: 1965, Pennsylvania
Professional Webpage: http://www.smbb.com/attorneys/carmen-belefonte
- Delaware County Board of Elections, Chairman (1995-2019)
- Delaware County Veterans Memorial Association - Advisory Board Member
- Delaware County chapter of Court Appointed Special Advocates, Board of Directors, Member (20012-2020)
- Delaware County Community Foundation, Former Chairman of the Board
- President, Pennsylvania Association for Justice
- Vice-Chair, Pennsylvania Supreme Court's Continuing Legal Education Committee and Civil Procedural Rules Committee
- House of Delegates, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Executive committee and board of governors, American Association for Justice.
- President, Delaware County Bar Association
- University of Notre Dame, 1962
- One of the top 500 personal injury lawyers in America, LawDragon, 2007
- One of Pennsylvania's best medical malpractice attorneys and premises liability attorneys
- President's Award, 2010
- Top 5 percent Super Lawyers of Pennsylvania
- Presentation of facts and legal/ethical issues surrounding the return of stolen Wyeth paintings and representation of individual who participated in their return, Lecturer - Author of Written Material for lecture, The Art of Serving Justice, Stealing Wyeth - Ethical Issues Confronting Defense Counsel, Delaware County Bar Association, Inns Of Court And Community, 2019
- One of top 500 Consumer Lawyers in America, 2020
Office location for Carmen P. Belefonte
20 West Third Street
Media, PA 19063
- Super Lawyers: 2005 - 2023