James J. Black, III
Top Rated Business Litigation Attorney in Philadelphia, PA
Attorney James J. Black, III is a principal member of the Black & Gerngross, P.C., law firm, where he focuses his practice primarily on complex litigation involving corporate finance and regulatory matters as well as insurance and reinsurance issues. Through the firm’s three law offices in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, Mr. Black represents a diverse range of clients, including corporations, financial institutions, insurance companies and private individuals.
Mr. Black earned his law degree from Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law in 1984, and both Pennsylvania and New Jersey approved him to practice law in their courtrooms. He is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, the District of New Jersey and the District of Colorado, the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit.
Throughout his long and illustrious career spanning more than 30 years, Mr. Black has built a reputation as one of the region's leading litigation attorneys, and he routinely lectures before various professional organizations and legal education institutions on subjects related to litigation practices, insurance law and more. Additionally, Mr. Black serves as pro hac vice to various federal courts in Delaware, New York and Florida as well as Judge Pro Tempore for the Philadelphia County Court of Common Pleas.
In addition to representing commercial clients, Mr. Black assists individuals and their families with all aspects of estate planning and administration, and he advocates on behalf of clients who have suffered an injury or loss as the result of another party’s negligence. He has received an AV Preeminent peer review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell in recognition for his dedication to his profession. Outside of his legal practice, Mr. Black volunteers throughout his community.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
About James J. Black, III
First Admitted: 1984, Pennsylvania
Professional Webpage: http://www.blackgern.com/attorneys/james-j-black-iii/
- “AV” peer reviewed rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in Pennsylvania
- Best Lawyers in New Jersey
- Supreme Court of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the District of Delaware, pro hac vice
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida, pro hac vice
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, pro hac vice
- St. Joseph’s University, B.S., cum laude, 1981
Last Updated: 12/11/2018