Michael A. Budner
Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney in Philadelphia, PA
- Free Consultation
- Virtual Appointments
Michael A. Budner is a personal injury attorney who has obtained tens of millions of dollars for his clients. In 2016-2021, Michael was selected by his peers as a Super Lawyers Rising Star, an honor reserved for only the top 2.5 percent of attorneys under 40 years old in Pennsylvania, which is published annually in Philadelphia Magazine.
Michael’s practice focuses on catastrophic personal injury cases in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. These personal injury cases result from construction accidents, workplace accidents, electrical accidents, negligently-maintained premises, defective or malfunctioning products, and trucking accidents.
Michael is a graduate of Emory University (2009) and earned his law degree from the Temple University Beasley School of Law (2012). While in law school, Michael excelled in oral advocacy. Michael served as a member of the Temple Political and Civil Rights Law Review. In 2016, Michael returned to Temple University Beasley School of Law to earn his LL.M. (Masters of Law) in Trial Advocacy, graduating with Honors in 2017. He was also chosen by his professors, including Federal and State Court judges and preeminent practicing attorneys, to receive the Faculty Award, an honor reserved for the student who demonstrates outstanding achievement in courtroom presentation and performance throughout the program.
Michael interned for the Honorable Joseph D. O’Keefe, Administrative Judge of the Orphans’ Court Division of the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas in 2010. While in law school, Michael joined Saltz Mongeluzzi & Bendesky as a law clerk in 2010. He returned to the firm full-time following his graduation from law school in 2012. Michael is admitted to practice law before the Supreme Courts of Pennsylvania and New Jersey, as well as the United States District Courts for the Eastern and Middle Districts of Pennsylvania. Michael is a member of the American Association for Justice, the Pennsylvania Association for Justice, the Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association, and the Philadelphia Bar Association.
An active participant in a variety of legal organizations, Mr. Budner counts among his memberships the Pennsylvania Association for Justice, the Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association, and the Philadelphia Bar Association. He has received an "Excellent" peer review rating through Avvo.
Michael also volunteers his time as a teacher and judge in the LL.M. in Trial Advocacy program at Temple University’s Beasley School of Law.
Michael holds his Powered Access Licensed-Registration (PAL) from the International Powered Access Federation (IPAF) as a Certified Operator of Mobile Vertical Lifts (3a) and Mobile Boom Lifts (3b). He has undergone OSHA 10-hour training in Construction Safety and Health. He is a Certified Forklift Operator who has received his OSHA 29 CFR 19120.178 Forklift Operator Qualification and Certification.
Michael serves as a Trustee on the Board of Trustees of the Clarke Schools for Hearing and Speech, an organization devoted to providing children with hearing loss and children who are deaf with access to listening and spoken language. He is also the Clerk of the Board and the Chair of its Governance Committee. He also serves on the Pennsylvania Leadership Council for Clarke School.
Michael serves on the Board of Directors for Philadelphia VIP, a nonprofit that provides pro bono legal services to individuals, small businesses, and other nonprofit organizations with civil legal issues. In addition to serving on the Philadelphia VIP Board, he is also a Pro Bono Volunteer Attorney with the organization and has represented clients who could not afford representation in matters ranging from Americans with Disabilities Act litigation to debt collection defense to nonprofit formation and governance.
- 90%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 10%Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff
Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Wrongful Death, Dram Shop Laws, Construction Accident, Brain Injury, Trucking Accidents, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Personal Injury - Defense
- Rising Stars: 2016 - 2022
About Michael A. Budner
First Admitted: 2012, Pennsylvania
Professional Webpage: https://www.smbb.com/attorney/michael-a-budner/
- Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- United States District Courts for the Eastern and Middle Districts of Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Member
- Supreme Courts of Pennsylvania and New Jersey
- LL.M. in Trial Advocacy - Temple University Beasley School of Law, 2017
- J.D. - Temple University Beasley School of Law , 2012
- B.A. (History) - Emory University, 2009
- Forklift Operator Qualification and Certification, 2019
- Powered Access Licensed Registration - Operator Mobile Vertical (3a) and Mobile Boom (3b), 2016
- OSHA 10-hour Certification , 2013
- Winning Your Construction Case: Cross-Examining the Superintendent In the context of construction cases, depositions, after the exchange of significant requisite written discovery, are the most important tool for winning your case. In reality, whether there is a settlement or a verdict, complex construction cases are won in the deposition room, not the courtroom., Co-Author , Winning Your Construction Case: Cross-Examining the Superintendent, The Legal Intelligencer , Construction Law, Personal Injury, 2020
- Co-author of Chapter 9 "USE OF TECHNOLOGY AND DEMONSTRATIVE EVIDENCE AT TRIAL" in a Lexis Trial Practice Guide updated annually, which is authored and edited by Hon. Daniel J. Anders of the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas., Contributing Co-Author - Chapter 9 USE OF TECHNOLOGY AND DEMONSTRATIVE EVIDENCE AT TRIAL, LexisNexis Practice Guide: Pennsylvania Civil Trial Practice, by Honorable Daniel J. Anders, General Editor (Author) , Bobby Ochoa, II, Pennsylvania Civil Trial Attorneys, 2020
Pro bono/Community Service
- Clerk, Board of Trustees, Clarke School for Hearing and Speech , 2021
- Pro Bono Volunteer Attorney - represent clients in a range of civil cases from debt collection to ADA issues to nonprofit formation and governance., 2021
- Board of Directors, Philly VIP (pro bono legal services non-profit organization), 2021
- Volunteer Attorney for Philadelphia VIP providing Pro Bono legal services Philadelphia VIP inspires and supports attorneys to provide free legal representation for our fellow Philadelphians who cannot afford to hire a lawyer and face legal challenges threatening their basic human needs: housing, family, income., 2020
- Trustee, Board of Trustees, Clarke School for Hearing and Speech , 2020
- Clarke School for Hearing and Speech - Listening Walk Committee, 2019
- Clarke School for Hearing and Speech - Leadership Council, 2019
- Super Lawyers "Rising Star", Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2021
- Super Lawyers "Rising Star", Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2020
- Super Lawyers "Rising Star", Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2019
- Super Lawyers "Rising Star", Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2018
- Super Lawyers "Rising Star", Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2017
- Awarded to a graduate in the Trial Advocacy LL.M. Program who demonstrates outstanding achievement in courtroom presentation and performance., Faculty Award, Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M. in Trial Advocacy, 2017
- Super Lawyers "Rising Star", Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2016
- $500k settlement for a dump truck driver whose vehicle was hit by a free-falling excavator, 2019
- Cevallos v. Bil-Jax, Inc., et al., Phila. Ct. Comm. Pl. December Term, 2011, No. 03503 $6.5 Million settlement - Worker fell from a scaffold at a construction site due to inadequate and improper fall protection, resulting in paralysis. , 2013
- Stoelker, et al. v. 10 88th Street, LLC, et al, Superior Ct. of NJ, Cape May County, No. CPM-L-585-12 $575,000 settlement for a worker who fell from an unprotected balcony on a residential construction project, 2015
- Fahey v. INTECH Construction, Inc., et al., Phila. Ct. Comm. Pl., December Term, 2013, No. 00146 $1,275,000 Settlement for a worker injured in a trip and fall on a construction project in Philadelphia, 2015
- Burn cases
- Construction Accidents
- Natural Gas Explosions
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Trucking Accidents
- Workplace accidents
Last Updated: 5/15/2022