Michael A. Cibik
Top rated bankruptcy attorney in Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaCibik Law, P.C.
Practice Areas: Bankruptcy; view more
Licensed in Pennsylvania since: 1976
Education: Widener University – Delaware Law School
Our office remains open, and in response to COVID-19 we have expanded our options for remote consultations and virtual meetings. Please contact our office to discuss what meeting option best fits your situation. Call 215-735-1060.
Michael A. Cibik is the founder and managing partner of Cibik Law, P.C., in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and serves the people throughout the greater Philadelphia area. Board-certified by The American Board of Certification as a consumer bankruptcy specialist, he holds extensive experience with bankruptcy law and assists his clients who have issues involving Chapter 7, Chapter 11 and Chapter 13.
Admitted to law before all Pennsylvania state and federal courts, Mr. Cibik also appears before the appellate courts of Pennsylvania as well as the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania and the U.S. Tax Court.
After earning a bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering from The Pennsylvania State University in 1966, Mr. Cibik received his Juris Doctor from Widener University Delaware Law School. He also holds an MBA degree from the University of Delaware and a Master of Law degree from Temple University Beasley School of Law.
Mr. Cibik was peer-review rated Distinguished* through Martindale-Hubbell for his high legal capability and ethical standards. He holds a rating of 10 on 10 on Avvo and received the Clients’ Choice Award as well. He was recognized by Lawyers of Distinction in 2022 and was also named as one of America’s Most Honored Lawyers by the American Registry.
With his decades of experience and knowledge garnered, Mr. Cibik has helped countless Pennsylvania residents through the bankruptcy process, providing comprehensive advice and guidance and enabling them to make a fresh financial start.
Along with managing his law practice, Mr. Cibik authors a column on bankruptcy law for the Philadelphia Public Record. He has spoken and served as a moderator at various events and is a former instructor at several colleges, universities and educational institutions. By attending continuing legal education classes, he keeps himself updated with all the revisions and laws in the bankruptcy area.
Mr. Cibik is a member of the Philadelphia Bar Association, the Pennsylvania Bar Association, the American Bankruptcy Institute and the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys and is also a former Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Trustee.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Michael A. Cibik is a debt relief agent. He helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.
Practice areasBankruptcy: consumer, Bankruptcy: business
- 70% Bankruptcy: consumer
- 30% Bankruptcy: business
First Admitted: 1976, Pennsylvania
Professional Webpage: https://philadelphiabankruptcylawyers.com/our-attorneys/
- BA, Chemical Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, State College, Pennsylvania, 1966
- MBA, University of Delaware, Newark, Delaware, 1972
- Master of Laws (Taxation) Temple University School of Law, Philadelphia, Pa., 1981
- Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Trustee (1982-1988), 1982
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania--Active, 2022
- U.S. Tax Court--Active, 2022
- U.S. Court of Appeals--Active, 2022
- U.S. Federal District Court--Active, 2022
- United States Supreme Court--Active, 2022
- PADI Rescue Scuba Diver Certification--Active, 2022
- FAA Commercial Pilot's License (IFR Certified)--Active, 2022
- Pennsylvania Real Estate Brokers License--Inactive, 2010
- American Board of Certification in Business Bankruptcy--Inactive, 2022
- American Board of Certification Senior Specialist in Consumer Bankruptcy--Active, 2022
- Michael Cibik's practice is limited to the representation of debtors in Chapter 7, Chapter 13, and Chapter 11 bankruptcies. Cibik has successfully represented thousands of clients seeking bankruptcy protection since 1980 and handled over 16,000 consumer and small business bankruptcy cases., 2021
- An overview on Chapter 7 Bankruptcy for potential clients seeking information from the law firm of Cibik & Cataldo PC., Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, Consumers, 2021
- How To Meet With Your Bankruptcy Attorney, How To Meet With Your Bankruptcy Attorney, Consumers, 2019
- Filing Bankruptcy 7 & Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, Cibik Law, PC - Bankruptcy Firm, Consumers, 2019
- Michael Cibik writes a weekly column in the Philadelphia Public Record entitled "Understanding Bankruptcy.", Understanding Bankruptcy, 2022
- Penn State Alumni Association Lifetime Member, 2022
- Expertise Badge Award, 2022
- Hearing Committee Member of the Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania (1996-2002), 1996
- Union League of Philadelphia Lifetime Member, 2022
- Pennsylvania Society Lifetime Member, 2022
- Candidate for Philadelphia City Council, 1987
- Pennsylvania Board of Podiatry (2006-2014), 2006
- PA Minor Judiciary Education Board (2004-2008), 2004
- Philadelphia Parking Authority Board of Directors (2002-2010), 2002
- Temple University Board of Trustees (2008-2012), 2008
- Michael Cibik has taught courses on Corporation and Partnership Law for Villanova University, Business Management and Real Estate Law for Temple University and Federal Income Tax Law for Penn State University. Cibik takes annual continuing education classes, earning at least 12+ credits a year, in the area of bankruptcy. Mike Cibik has served as a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Trustee for Chief Bankruptcy Judge Emil F. Goldhaber and on the American Arbitration Association Commercial Panel, the Federal District Court's Historical Society, the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys, the Board of Directors for the Building Owners' and Managers' Association, the National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees Membership Committee, the American Bankruptcy Institute, the Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce, the Lawyer Pilots Association and the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association. Cibik serves on Temple University's Board of Trustees and is a member of Elks Lodge #270 and a 32nd Degree Mason member of Equity Lodge # 591. Michael Cibik has a FAA Commercial Pilot's license and is a certified PADI Rescue Scuba Diver, 2022
- Lawyers of Distinction Award, Lawyers of Distinction Award, Lawyers of Distinction, 2022
- 5-Star Client Reviews, Avvo, Avvo, 2022
- Top-Rated Bankruptcy Law Lawyer, Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers, 2022
- Clients' Choice Award, Clients' Choice Award, Avvo, 2022
- America's Most Honored Lawyers, America's Most Honored Lawyers, American Registry, 2022
- Top Attorneys In Pennsylvania & Delaware, Top Attorneys, Philadelphia Magazine, 2022
- Voted Top-Rated Lawyer 2017 by the Legal Community, Michael Cibik and has over 24 awards from the world's most trusted legal resource Martindale-Hubbell and has been rated by Avvo for being widely recognized by the legal community for good professional conduct and experience. Some of Cibik's other awards include: America's Most Honored Professionals 2017 - Top 10%; 2017 Distinguished Attorney; America's Most Honored Professionals 2016 - Top 5%; 2016 Distinguished Attorney; 2015 BV Distinguished Attorney; 2014 BV Distinguished Attorney; Avvo 2014 - Rated Very Good; Avvo 2013 - Rated Very Good; PRR BV Distinguished Attorneys 2012; Avvo Lawyers 2012; Avvo Rated; Directory of Distinguished Attorneys 2011; Avvo Lawyers 2011 Rating; PRR BV Distinguished Attorneys 2011; PRR BV Distinguished Attorneys 2010., Top Rated Lawyer, Legal Community, 2017
- Top Attorney 10.0 Rating, Avvo, Avvo, 2022
- Philadelphia Voluntary Lawyers for the Arts, 2022
- Philadelphia Bar Association Pro Bono Member, 2022
- Michael Cibik's Chapter 13 bankruptcy filings over 40+ years have saved over 10,000 houses from Sheriff's real estate sales and foreclosures. Each year several hundred clients were able to reorganize their finances and keep their homes off the sheriff's sale auction block. Furthermore, his Chapter 7 bankruptcy for debtors over the same time period has discharged several hundred million dollars of consumer and business debt., 2022
- Philadelphia Bar Association, 2022
- American Bankruptcy Institute, 2022
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, 2022
- National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys, 2022
- Consumer and Business Bankruptcy
Office location for Michael A. Cibik
1500 Walnut St
Philadelphia, PA 19102
- Super Lawyers: 2021 - 2023