Michael T. van der Veen
Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney in Philadelphia, PA
The founder of van der Veen, Hartshorn & Levin, Michael T. van der veen, represents the rights of people in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and its surrounding towns and counties. He focuses his practice on personal injury plaintiff and criminal defense, and handles cases involving construction accidents, sex offenses, forgery and fraud, car accidents, murder, white collar crimes, slip-and-falls, DUI, medical errors, drug offenses, truck accidents, vehicular homicide and product liability.
In 1985, Mr. van der veen graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a Bachelor of Arts in political science. He then attended Quinnipiac University School of Law and received his Juris Doctor in 1988. He continued his study of the law, first at the National Criminal Defense College and second, at Temple University Beasley School of Law, where he earned a Master of Laws in 1995.
Mr. van der veen knows the challenges that come with an unexpected injury or criminal charge. He is known for his compassion to clients as well as his tenacity in protecting their rights and pursuing justice. One case, involving a person in a car accident who was left a paraplegic, resulted in a $31.5 million award. Another client was accused of killing his mother and acquitted.
Community involvement is important to Mr. van der veen. He has been involved with the American Diabetes Association's Philadelphia chapter, served as a children's coach and mentor, worked with numerous charity events and is currently on Montgomery School's board of trustees in Chester Springs. Recently, Mr. van der veen was elected to serve on the Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association's board of directors. In his free time, he enjoys spending time with his wife and two daughters.
- 80%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 10%Criminal Defense
- 10%General Litigation
Animal Bites, Assault, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Wrongful Death, Dram Shop Laws, Construction Accident, Brain Injury, Sexual Abuse - Plaintiff, Trucking Accidents, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Arrest & Arraignment, Assault & Battery, Criminal Fraud, Criminal Law, Drug & Alcohol Violations, Expungement, Failure to Pay Child Support, False Accusations, Felony, Juvenile Delinquency, Misdemeanor, Motor Vehicle Offenses, Murder, Parole, Probation, Prosecution, Sex Offenses, Tax Evasion, Theft, Traffic Violations, Criminal Domestic Violence, Litigation, Restraining Order, Small Claims
- Super Lawyers: 2005 - 2022
About Michael T. van der Veen
First Admitted: 1990, New Jersey
Professional Webpage: http://www.mtvlaw.com/michael-t-van-der-veen/
- Temple University School of Law, LL.M., Highest Honors, 1995
- National Criminal Defense College, 1992
- Ohio Wesleyan, B.A. Political Science, 1985
- Chairman, Board of Directors, American Diabetes Association, Philadelphia Chapter
- Treasurer, Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association, 2020
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Board of Governors, 2018
- Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association - Membership Coordinator, 2018
- Member of Pennsylvania Association for Justice
- Board of Directors, Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association - Co-Chair of State Civil Litigation Section Executive Committee, 2018
- Won a $31.5 Million Dollar Judgment for a Client Who was Rendered Paraplegic in a Motor Crash.
- In front of a jury in Chester County, Mr. van der Veen won a $3.25 million dollar verdict for a nurse who suffered a mild traumatic brain Injury when a dump truck crashed into her.
- Charges dropped for client who was accused of a murder in 1993., 2018
- In Federal Court in Scranton, Michael won a $4.25 Million Dollar jury Verdict for a man Rendered Tetraplegic in a Crash with a Tractor-Trailer
- Michael Collected a $1.375 Million Dollar Settlement for a 24-year-old Man, Who Was the Passenger in a Car Hit by a Septa Bus on the Blue Route in Delaware County and Sustained a Head Injury.
- Mr. van der Veen represented a child run over by a tractor-trailer. In representing that child and his family, Michael had to fight immigration to bring the young boy's father from Haiti to Philadelphia. He fought for and arranged for the boy to get the best medical care in the world. When the trucking company tried to blame the boy for his own injuries, Mr. van der Veen took the case to trial in front of a Philadelphia jury and after four days of trial, settled the boys case for $10,000,000
- A suit was brought in Federal Court in Wilmington, Delaware to Fight for and Recover $1.4 Million Dollars for the Widow of a Pharmaceutical Executive Killed in a High-Speed Motorcycle Crash
- Court dismissed charges for an innocent client whom the Commonwealth alleged had unlawfully possessed weapons, 2017
- Michael delivered a Continuing Legal Education lecture as part of the Pennsylvania Bar Institute's Auto Law Program. His lecture, "Using Criminal Cases in Civil Matters," discussed the ramifications of criminal proceedings on a civil case., Lecturer, Using Criminal Cases in Civil Matter, 2017
Pro bono/Community Service
- Philadelphia VIP Pro-Bono Attorney, 2018
- Board of Trustees, Montgomery School
- Volunteer to John Marshall School for Career Day, 2018
- Board of local YMCA
- Volunteer at Christian Legal Clinics of Philadelphia, 2018
Last Updated: 5/15/2022