Top rated employee benefits attorney in Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaFiduciary Guidance Counsel
Practice Areas: Employee benefits, Business & corporate
Licensed in Pennsylvania since: 1990
Education: Villanova University School of Law
Peter Gulia counsels the people who manage retirement plans. While handling a full range of employee benefits, Peter focuses on ERISA’s and States' fiduciary-responsibility provisions. Peter has 37+ years’ experience, including with America’s largest retirement-services and financial-services businesses.
Peter Gulia’s focus is counseling fiduciaries of all kinds. Beyond advising a retirement plan’s lead fiduciary, Peter also counsels fee-only investment managers and advisers about their fiduciary duties and compliance procedures. Peter advises lawyers, actuaries, and certified public accountants about their professional conduct.
Since 1984, Peter Gulia has focused on the design, governance, fiduciary investment procedures, and administration of employee-benefit plans. His solutions to resolve then-novel ERISA, tax, and securities issues for asset-allocation investment advice remain models that practitioners use today. Beyond ERISA-governed plans, Peter has wide experience with church plans and governmental plans, and with how securities law and other laws beyond ERISA and the Internal Revenue Code affect retirement plans and health plans.
Peter Gulia is widely published on fiduciary duties and procedures, retirement plan investments, beneficiary designations, and domestic-relations orders. Peter has for 28 years published with Wolters Kluwer. He also is a Bloomberg BNA Insights author.
First Admitted: 1990, Pennsylvania
Professional Webpage: http://www.fiduciaryguidancecounsel.com/aboutgulia.htm
- Coursebook for ERISA Fiduciary Responsibility law school course Coursebook for Professional Conduct in Tax Practice law school course, ERISA Fiduciary Responsibility
- This coursebook is for post-doctoral law students, and business students. It focuses on professional-conduct rules and how they specially apply to a lawyer, accountant, actuary, or other practitioner because her practice involves tax law., Professional Conduct In Tax Practice
- Choral Arts Philadelphia, CultureTrust Greater Philadelphia, CultureWorks Greater Philadelphia, Healthy Teen Living, Philomathean Endowment Trust, Philomathean Society of the University of Pennsylvania, Social Impact Commons, The Women's Sacred Music Project
- American Law Institute - CLE writer and speaker; American Bar Assocation (including several committees, subcomittees, and task forces); Pennsylvania Bar Institute - CLE writer and speaker; Philadelphia Bar Association - Employee Benefits Committee, Professional Guidance Committee (previous), CLE writer and speaker; ASPPA Benefits Council of Greater Philadelphia - Board of Directors, CLE/CPE writer and speaker; National Association of Government Defined Contribution Administrators - previously Legislation and Regulation Committee, Investments Committee, 403(b) task force
- Because my role as counsel was not disclosed, I must not reveal the settlements that were supported by my knowledge and work.
- Franklin and Marshall College, 1981
- Sale of Travelers Life and Annuity and some businesses of CitiStreet to MetLife, 2005
- CitiStreet, a joint venture of Citigroup and State Street Bank and Trust Company, 1999
- State of Alabama, 2009
- My clients include retirement plans and registered investment advisers.
- State of New Hampshire, 2016
- Peter Gulia led this continuing-legal-education course for the Philadelphia Bar Association., Understanding the new investment-advice fiduciary rule, Philadelphia Bar Association, 2016
- Peter Gulia helped design this education series, about the U.S. Labor department's investment-advice fiduciary rule, for The American College of Financial Services. The videos, including those in which Peter Gulia appeared, are available from The American College., How Will the DOL Fiduciary Rule Impact You?, The American College Of Financial Services, 2016
- retirement plans; retirement-services providers; investment advisers; law firms; accounting firms; a
- Super Lawyers: 2015 - 2023