A. Patricia Diulus-Myers
Top Rated Employment Litigation Attorney in Pittsburgh, PA
- Free Consultation
A former Major in the Army Nurse Corps reserves and registered nurse, A. Patricia Diulus-Myers is an employment law attorney now with Segmiller & Associates. She represents clients in the Pittsburgh metropolitan area in cases of wrongful termination and discrimination. With over 40 years as a litigation trial practitioner, Ms. Diulus-Myers also spent twenty years at a national law firm with a concentration on trial work, general litigation, and health care and employment law.
Ms. Diulus-Myers is admitted to practice in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, and West Virginia. Along with those state courts, she is also admitted to practice before the following federal courts: the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio and several others.
At the University of Pittsburgh, Ms. Diulus-Myers graduated summa cum laude in 1975 with her Bachelor of Science in Nursing. She then attended the University of Pittsburgh School of Law, where she graduated cum laude with her Juris Doctor in 1980. Since then, she has published many works for legal journals, and for her high ethical standards and long list of successful results, she holds the highest peer rating possible of AV Preeminent* from Martindale-Hubbell. Notably, in 2020, Ms. Diulus-Myers was elected to the prestigious Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County.
Ms. Diulus-Myers is a former member of the Minority Corporate Counsel Association and is on the Board of Governors of the Allegheny County Bar Association. Her community involvement and pro bono work include service on the Board of directors and the human resources committee of the YMCA of Greater Pittsburgh and the board of directors for the Pittsburgh Youth Chorus. She also recently was elected to and served as Chair of the Judiciary Committee of the ACBA.
* AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 40%Employment Litigation: Plaintiff
- 20%Employment & Labor: Employee
- 10%Civil Litigation: Plaintiff
- 10%Civil Litigation: Defense
- 10%Civil Rights
- 10%Health Care
Employment Discrimination, Wrongful Termination, Whistleblower, Discrimination, Hospital Law, Health & Health Care Law
- Super Lawyers: 2010 - 2022
About A. Patricia Diulus-Myers
First Admitted: 1980, Pennsylvania
Professional Webpage: http://segmend.com/a-patricia-diulus-myers/
- At Jackson Lewis LLP, Ms. Diulus-Myers represented management in workplace matters, including litigation. Her clients consisted of companies, both large and small, located throughout the United States, and globally. As a sole practitioner and of-counsel with Segmiller & Associates, Ms. Diulus-Myers continues to litigate and try cases in general litigation matters for both individuals and for corporate entities.
Pro bono/Community Service
- Served on the Board of Directors and Executive Committee for the YWCA Greater Pittsburgh, whose mission is to eliminate racism and empower women. Participates in pro bono activities as a Counsel member of the Health Law section of the bar association, including working with senior citizens in preparing their living wills and advance directives. As an alumnus of the University of Pittsburgh School of Law, serve das a judge in the trial and appellate moot court competitions at the law school.
- Serves on Board of Directors for YMCA of Greater Pittsburgh and is Board Champion for Thelma Lovett and Centre Avenue YMCA locations in Pittsburgh.
- Serves on the Board of Directors and Executive Committee for the Children's Festival Chorus in Pittsburgh, now called Pittsburgh Youth Chorus, 2011
- Provides pro bono services to The Childrens Festival Chorus (now Pittsburgh Youth Chorus) and the YMCA of Greater Pittsburgh
- University of Pittsburgh, BSN, 1975, Summa Cum Laude
- Published Articles "New U.S. Supreme Court Rules on Workplace Sexual Harassment," Pittsburgh Legal Journal, July 17, 1998. "Noncompete Agreements, How the Courts Approach Restrictive Covenants," Smart Business Magazine [Pittsburgh], June, 2006. "Avoiding Liability, How to Legally Administer Corporate Wellness Programs," Smart Business Magazine [Pittsburgh] February, 2007 "Diversity Best Practices, What Law Firms Are Doing to Attract and Retain Minority and Female Attorneys," Smart Business Magazine [Pittsburgh] April, 2007. "Why Corporate Initiatives to Promote Inclusion Through Selection of Outside Counsel Can Co-exist with Title VII," September 2007. This article was distributed to Fortune 500 GCs by the MCCA [Minority Corporate Counsel Association] to counter views of conservative activists who claim that corporate initiatives to hire more minorities and women violate the law. "The ABCs of ADAAA," Smart Business Magazine [Pittsburgh] December 2008
- Contributed to and quoted in, “Workplace Pranks Put Employers at Risk,” Journal of Allegheny County Bar Association (April 1, 2016)
- “Keeping Secrets,” Smart Business Magazine (December 2010), Author
- "Trade Secret Protection - the Old and New Remedies." Journal of the Allegheny County Bar Association devoted the July, 2016 edition to Employment Law. This article highlighted the remedies available for protection of business information and importance of restrictive covenants to do so. It also alerted practitioners to the new remedies afforded by the Defend Trade Secrets Act, recently enacted by a bi-partisan Congress., 2016
- Registered Nurse license and Juris Doctor
- In Summer 2010, Ms. Diulus-Myers had 4 jury trials scheduled in a 3-month period. The first was the defense of a USERRA claim in Charleston, W.Va, which settled favorably the day of jury selection. The second proceeded to trial 4 weeks later in a gender discrimination case in Cleveland Ohio state court in which she prevailed with a defense verdict. Just one week later, Ms. Diulus-Myers gave an opening statement in a false claims act case in Charleston, West Virginia, which favorably settled at the end of the Plaintiff's case. The fourth trial, scheduled to try 3 weeks later settled very favorably prior to jury selection, 2010
- Has been lead or sole trial counsel in over 30 cases which have been tried to verdict, most of which were jury trials, and has prevailed in all but 3 of the jury trials. Most recent jury trial was February 2018.
- Achieved a unanimous defense verdict from a jury in U.S. District Court for the Western District of PA in a breach of employment contract case in which the Plaintiff was seeking over $700,000 in damages. The jury verdict was returned on April 15, 2011.
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Elected to the Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County, 2020
- Elected to Board of Governors of Allegheny county Bar Association, 2020
- Served as Treasurer of the Allegheny County Judicial Excellence Committee charged with the successful retention of judges of the Court of Common Pleas and Superior Court in the November 2019 election, 2019
- Elected to the Judiciary Committee of the Allegheny County Bar Association In 2016, and elected to the chair of the Judiciary Committee in 2017, 2011
- Elected to the first Advisory Committee to the Board of Directors at Jackson Lewis P.C., 2015
- , PA Super Lawyers selection every year since 2009, 2020
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, 2010
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers 2012
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, 2015
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers 2016
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, 2011
- Recognized in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers for 2013
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers 2017
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude, with a 4.0 gpa from University of Pittsburgh and was class marshall. Also was inducted into the national honors sorority of Sigma Theta Tau. Graduated Cum Laude from University of Pittsburgh School of Law in 1980.
- AV Preeminant Rating from Martindale Hubbell
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, 2014
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers
- Elected to Board of Governors of the Allegheny County Bar Association, 2020
- Elected to the prestigious Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County., 2020
- Minority Corporate Counsel Association
- American Inns of Court–past
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Former Chair of Labor & Employment Council
- Admitted to practice law in the following courts: All Pennsylvania State Courts All Ohio State Courts All West Virginia State Courts, all Florida State Courts, Courts U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan Third Circuit Court of Appeals Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals United States Court of Federal Claims
Last Updated: 5/15/2022