Alan S. Miller
Top Rated Environmental Attorney in Pittsburgh, PA
Alan has more than thirty-eight years of experience in complex litigation and counseling, concentrating in the areas of environmental law, insurance coverage and bad faith, and commercial litigation. He chairs the firm’s Environmental and Energy Law practice and the Insurance Coverage and Bad Faith Litigation practice.
Alan’s environmental law practice has involved counseling, litigation and alternative dispute resolution of matters involving municipal, residual, and hazardous waste permitting and compliance, contribution and cost recovery actions under CERCLA and related state statutes, claims for natural resource damages, contamination from leaking underground storage tanks, air and water pollution regulatory permitting and enforcement actions, oil and gas drilling compliance and transactions, and real estate transactions involving contaminated and recycled industrial sites.
Alan’s insurance law practice involves representing insurance companies in a wide array of coverage disputes, both before litigation and in court, arising out of commercial liability, property, medical professional and personal lines policies, including disputes over coverage for claims involving construction defects, exposure to toxic substances, product defects, major property losses, professional liability, infringement of intellectual property rights and violations of consumer protection laws.
Prior to entering private practice, Alan served as a trial attorney with the Environmental Enforcement Section, United States Department of Justice, and as an Assistant Counsel with the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Resources. He is a frequent lecturer and author of materials for continuing legal education courses in the areas of environmental law and insurance coverage.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers in America© are registered trademarks of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC. The names, logo, and database are protected under the trademark, copyright, and fair use laws of the United States of America. Any use of name, including in electronic form, must be made only by permission and under the guidelines of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC.
- 40%Insurance Coverage
- 10%Civil Litigation: Defense
Environmental Law, Insurance, Bad Faith Insurance
- Super Lawyers: 2005 - 2022
About Alan S. Miller
First Admitted: 1982, Pennsylvania
Professional Webpage: https://www.hh-law.com/Professionals/Alan-Miller.shtml
- Freestone v. New England Log Homes, Inc. and North River Insurance Co., 819 A.2d 550 (Pa. Super. 2003), appeal denied, 2003 Pa. LEXIS 1460 (Pa. 2003)
- Maddox v. St. Paul Fire & Marine Ins. Co., 70 Fed. Appx. 77 (3d Cir. 2003)
- Erdely v. Hinchcliffe and Keener, Inc. et al., 875 A.2d 1078 (Pa. Super. 2005), appeal denied, 890 A.2d 1059 (Pa. 2005)
- Melrose Hotel Co. v. St. Paul Fire and Marine Ins. Co. 432 F. Supp. 2d 488 (E.D. Pa. 2006), aff’d, 2007 U.S. App. LEXIS 22711 (3d Cir. Sept. 25, 2007)
- Whole Enchilada, Inc., v. Travelers Prop. Cas. Co., 581 F. Supp. 2d 677 (W.D. Pa. 2008)
- McMillen Engineering, Inc. v. The Travelers Indemnity Co. 744 F. Supp. 2d 416 (W.D. Pa. 2010)
- OneBeacon Ins. Co. v. William A. Graham Co. et al., No. 2009-41636 (C.P. Montgomery Cty. Dec. 14, 2011) aff’d60 A.3d 586 (Pa. Super. 2012)
- Northridge Village, L.P. et al v. The Travelers Indemnity Co., 2017 U.S. District LEXIS 140541 (E.D. Pa. 2017)
- Member, Allegheny County Bar Association
- Member, Defense Research Institute
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- Top 50 Pittsburgh Super Lawyers, 2005 - 2007
- Top 50 Pittsburgh Super Lawyers, 2015 - 2016
- Best Lawyers in America, Environmental Litigation, 2016 - 2018
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, 2005 - 2018
- Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Law, 2018
- Best Lawyers in America, Energy Law, 2017-2018
- Best Lawyers in America, Environmental Law, 2018
- Best Lawyers in America, Environmental Litigation, 2013
- AV Preeminent, Rated Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating System
- Best Lawyers in America, 2004-2018
- Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year in Environmental Litigation, 2017
- Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year in Energy Law 2018-2019
- Washington University, B.A.
Last Updated: 5/15/2022