Top rated Medical Malpractice attorney in Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaLupetin & Unatin LLC
Practice Areas: Medical Malpractice, Personal Injury, Products Liability; view more
Licensed in Pennsylvania since: 2005
Education: University of Pittsburgh School of Law
Lupetin & Unatin LLC707 Grant Street, Suite 3200
Pittsburgh, PA 15219 Visit website
Brendan prides himself on finding the best solutions for his clients’ legal dilemmas, often bringing about life-improving settlements. There are, however, times when wrongdoers simply refuse to accept responsibility for their actions and force the injured and innocent to prove their case to a jury. Brendan points out, “While many attorneys fear having their client’s fate determined by apparent strangers, I believe in our jury system and have the utmost faith that our community’s conscience will enforce important safety rules and ensure that justice is always done.”
Brendan’s faith combined with his dynamic ability to tell a simple story that people care about make him a powerful trial advocate for his clients. These attributes recently culminated in bringing about a spectacular verdict in Federal Court of more than $6 million for a small local business. This amazing outcome, comprised of an unheard of $5 million in punitive damages, was chronicled in a Pittsburgh Post-Gazette article titled, “O’Hara firm wins $6 million verdict over testing of space heaters.” VerdictSearch has included numerous lawsuit resolutions of Brendan’s in its annual Top Pennsylvania Verdicts and Settlements report. Additionally, Brendan is regularly called on by the media to provide insight and commentary on lawsuits of national import as well as high-profile litigation undertaken by Lupetin & Unatin.
In August of 2020, Brendan and his partner Greg Unatin obtained a $10.83 million verdict for a man that suffered a brain injury due to medical malpractice. This was the largest personal injury jury verdict in Pennsylvania for 2020.
The son of a doctor and trauma counselor Brendan learned early on the importance of compassion, empathy and to always stand up for what is right, no matter the consequence. It is these attributes, ingrained in his legal practice, that have led Brendan to be repeatedly named a “Rising Star” and for the past many years "Super Lawyer" by the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers whose honorees are selected by their peers as being among the top up-and-coming lawyers in the state.
Following a four-year tenure as a scholarship swimmer at the University of Pittsburgh, Brendan received his B.S. and went on to obtain a J.D. from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law in 2005. Brendan is admitted to practice before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court the District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania and the Third Circuit Court of Appeals. He is a member of the American Association of Justice, the Western Pennsylvania Association for Justice and is a founding member of the Allegheny County Bar Association’s Chapter of Toastmaster’s International.
Brendan is one of only eleven lawyers in Western Pennsylvania invited to be an active member of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), a prestigious national association of experienced trial lawyers and judges. This follows his 2011 induction into the Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County- an invitation only organization limited to 250 of the most exceptional civil trial lawyers in Allegheny County – of which Brendan was one of the youngest members ever admitted. Brendan has been repeatedly named to Super Lawyers Rising Stars and for the past several years has been named a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer.
As passionate as he is about the client’s he works for, Brendan’s greatest joy comes from spending as much time as possible with his high school sweetheart and wife, Lacey and their three sons, Nathan, John and Owen.
Practice areasPersonal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff, Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff, Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff
Medical Malpractice, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Wrongful Death
- 80% Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
- 10% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 10% Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 2005, Pennsylvania
Professional Webpage: https://www.pamedmal.com/pittsburgh-attorney-brendan-lupetin...
- University of Pittsburgh, B.S., 2000, 2000
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law - Juris Doctorate, 2005
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, 2006
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: Member, 2005
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), Member
- Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit: Member, 2007
- U.S. District Court Western District of Pennsylvania: Member, 2006
- American Association of Justice
- Toastmasters International
- Western Pennsylvania Association for Justice
- American Bar Association
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- I represented Rose and Guy DeToma, a wonderful married couple, related to serious spine injuries suffered by Rose due to negligent maintenance of ice outside of a convenience store. , 2019
- Represented Shawn Fitzgerald a 46-year-old gas line worker who was severely injured on the job., 2017
- Represented Brand Marketing Group, a small, locally-owned business. , 2014
- This book will serve as an in-depth resource for any patient or family of a patient injured or killed by medical malpractice in Pennsylvania. , Author, Pennsylvania Medical Malpractice eBook - What You Need to Know to Protect Yourself and Your Rights, Meyers Evans Lupetin & Unatin, LLC, Medical Malpractice, 2019
- Video on how to pick the best medical malpractice lawyer, How to Pick the Best Medical Malpractice Lawyer, Medical Malpractice, 2019
- Informational video about newborns with jaundice and how it can lead to medical malpractice. , Medical Malpractice from Newborn Jaundice, Medical Malpractice, 2019
- Video about whether you have a valid medical malpractice case. , Do I Have a Valid Medical Malpractice Case, Medical Malpractice, 2019
- $10.83 million jury verdict for a man who suffered a brain injury due to medical malpractice. Tyrone Hospital, its doctors and staff, failed to timely treat Chris Miller after he suffered an anaphylactic reaction to MRI contrast dye. Miller et al. v. Kelly Biggs, DO and Tyrone Hospital was the largest personal injury verdict in Pennsylvania for 2020. , 2020
- $4.5 million settlement for a child that suffered a compartment syndrome after being treated for a broken arm. , 2021
- $6.3 million jury verdict in Product Safety case – Brand Marketing Group v. Intertek NA (co-counseled with Attorney Gregory Unatin)
- $6 million settlement in Medical Malpractice case involving delayed diagnosis & treatment of a neck fracture that resulted in the patient becoming quadriplegic (co-counseled with Attorney Jerry Meyers)
- $5 million settlement for wrongful death medical malpractice lawsuit involving a botched esophageal surgery.
- $2.1 million jury verdict in Slip & Fall case – Horton v. Target Corporation
- $2 million jury verdict in botched gall bladder removal surgery (co-counseled with Attorney Gregory Unatin)
- $2 million settlement in Personal Injury case – Fitzgerald v. Columbia Gas of Pennsylvania et al
- $1.8 million settlement in medical Medical Malpractice case involving a delayed diagnosis of skin cancer (co-counseled with Attorneys Jerry Meyers and Gregory Unatin)
- $1.7 million awarded in a settlement of insurance bad faith, legal malpractice and breach of fiduciary duty lawsuit secured on behalf of a small local trucking company
- $1.35 million settlement in Reckless Driving case – Sample v. Vrudney
- $1 million settlement of wrongful death medical malpractice case regarding failure to monitor a patient in the post-anesthesia care unit.
- $1 million settlement in Wrongful Death Medical Malpractice case
- $950,000 jury verdict for a woman who slipped on ice outside a convenience store and seriously injured her back. Westmoreland County. Case name: DeToma v. Graft Oil Co.
- $304,000 jury verdict for a woman injured when she slipped and fell on black ice in Allegheny County. The jury’s award was comprised entirely of pain and suffering damages
- Acknowledged by Superlawyers as a 2020 Super Lawyer in Pennsylvania. , Super Lawyer, https://profiles.superlawyers.com/pennsylvania/pittsburgh/lawyer/brendan-b-lupetin/d3145a07-4f2a-4caa-89bd-7b78596e0628.html, 2020
- Named a top lawyer in the state by Super Lawyers, Super Lawyer, https://profiles.superlawyers.com/pennsylvania/pittsburgh/lawyer/brendan-b-lupetin/d3145a07-4f2a-4caa-89bd-7b78596e0628.html, 2019
- Top-rated medical malpractice lawyer as determined by Super Lawyers, Pennsylvania Super Lawyer, https://profiles.superlawyers.com/pennsylvania/pittsburgh/lawyer/brendan-b-lupetin/d3145a07-4f2a-4caa-89bd-7b78596e0628.html, 2018
- Named by Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers Rising Star, https://profiles.superlawyers.com/pennsylvania/pittsburgh/lawyer/brendan-b-lupetin/d3145a07-4f2a-4caa-89bd-7b78596e0628.html, 2017
- Named by Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers Rising Star, https://profiles.superlawyers.com/pennsylvania/pittsburgh/lawyer/brendan-b-lupetin/d3145a07-4f2a-4caa-89bd-7b78596e0628.html, 2016
- Named by Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers Rising Star, https://profiles.superlawyers.com/pennsylvania/pittsburgh/lawyer/brendan-b-lupetin/d3145a07-4f2a-4caa-89bd-7b78596e0628.html, 2015
- Named by Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers Rising Star, https://profiles.superlawyers.com/pennsylvania/pittsburgh/lawyer/brendan-b-lupetin/d3145a07-4f2a-4caa-89bd-7b78596e0628.html, 2014
- Named by Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers Rising Star, https://profiles.superlawyers.com/pennsylvania/pittsburgh/lawyer/brendan-b-lupetin/d3145a07-4f2a-4caa-89bd-7b78596e0628.html, 2013
- Named to Top 15 Verdicts in Pennsylvania for 2014 (with Greg Unatin), Top 15 Verdict in the State of Pennsylvania, 2014
- Named by Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers Rising Star, https://profiles.superlawyers.com/pennsylvania/pittsburgh/lawyer/brendan-b-lupetin/d3145a07-4f2a-4caa-89bd-7b78596e0628.html, 2012
Office location for Brendan Lupetin
707 Grant Street, Suite 3200
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
- Super Lawyers: 2018 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2012 - 2017
These comments were made by fellow attorneys during the annual nomination process.
“Willing to try cases that matter and will put his heart into all of them.”
“I have had the privilege of working with Brendan for nearly one-year. Based on what I've learned from Brendan during this time, it feels like we've worked together much longer. I have not yet met another attorney who dedicates as much time and effort to the benefit of his clients, both present and future. For present clients, Brendan works day and night to "move the case" as we say, making sure Complaints are filed, every important fact is exposed, and the case is moving toward resoltion, all without delay. Brendan has his foot on the accelerator, but drives towards trial or settlement with the utmost caution. A master of the focus group, Brendan strives to isolate the weaknesses of every case, and finds a way to turn those weaknesses into strengths. Brendan manages to dutifully achieve his daily obligations while always focusing on improving his performance at the next deposition, the next focus group, the next mediation, or the next trial. He appreciates all that can be learned from great trial attorneys, and is a student of their teachings. But, Brendan is also a "super" trial attorney, and great teacher as well.”
“I am co counsel with Brendan on a case and was impressed with his ability to think on his feet. Very good client relations.”
“Working with him as a co counsel. Extremely intelligent and innovative in his approach to the law.”
“outstanding and dedicated trial attorney”
“Brendan is one of the best trial attorneys in the city of Pittsburgh. He obtained two seven-figure verdicts within a year, and handles a wide-variety of cases.”