James E. Mahood
Top rated family law attorney in Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaWilder Mahood McKinley & Oglesby
Attorney James E. Mahood is a partner with the Wilder Mahood McKinley & Oglesby law firm in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where he also serves as the firm's president. Serving the needs and interests of clients throughout the greater Pittsburgh metro region and surrounding areas, Mr. Mahood focuses his practice exclusively on family law. He has more than 45 years of experience representing and guiding clients through the divorce process to help them find solutions for their matters involving child custody and support, property division, alimony and other related issues.
Certified in matrimonial arbitration and mediation by the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Mr. Mahood strives to help his clients resolve their conflicts and reach agreements for their divorce-related issues in a manner that is more efficient and less adversarial than traditional divorce litigation. He also has extensive experience handling adoptions and once served as the chair of the Task Force on Adoption for the Pennsylvania Bar Association's Family Law Section.
Moreover, Mr. Mahood currently serves on the Advisory Committee for the Joint State Government Commission on Adoption, and he is also a former member of the Gender Bias and Family Law Workgroup subcommittee to the Pennsylvania Supreme Court's Committee on Racial and Gender Bias in the Justice System. Furthermore, he is the former Master Emeritus of the Pittsburgh Matrimonial American Inn of Court, and he is a member of the Pennsylvania Bar Association Code of Evidence Committee.
Among his other professional affiliations, Mr. Mahood is highly active with the Allegheny County Bar Association, having once served as its governor as well as vice chair of the organization's Public Service Committee and member of its Civil Procedural Rules Committee and Special Fee Determination Committee. A Fellow with the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, he has also served as president of the organization's Pennsylvania Chapter as well as chair of the organization's Amicus Committee.
Mr. Mahood obtained his Juris Doctor from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law in 1974, and he is admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court. A leader in his field, he has several publications to his credit and has conducted numerous continuing legal educations seminars across his region. He holds an AV Preeminent peer review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell as well as recognition from The Best Lawyers in America.
Committed to those less fortunate throughout his local community, Mr. Mahood routinely volunteers his time and services to various pro bono legal organizations, and he once served as president and board member of the Neighborhood Legal Services Association. Recognized for his selfless contributions, he has earned the Marjorie H. Matson Civil Libertarian Award and the Allegheny County Bar Association's first ever Career Pro-Bono Achievement Award.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers in America© are registered trademarks of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC. The names, logo, and database are protected under the trademark, copyright, and fair use laws of the United States of America. Any use of name, including in electronic form, must be made only by permission and under the guidelines of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC.
Practice areasFamily law
Adoption, Alimony & spousal support, Child support, Custody & visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic violence, Name change, Paternity, Prenuptial agreements, Marital property, Mediation & collaborative law, Same sex family law, Father's rights
- 100% Family law
First Admitted: 1974, Pennsylvania
Professional Webpage: https://wildermahood.com/attorneys/james-e-mahood/
- Certified, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Matrimonial Arbitration (1991); Mediation (1996)
- Co-Chair, Campaign Committee, Equal Justice Campaign
- Governor, Allegheny County Bar Association
- Master Emeritus, Pittsburgh Matrimonial American Inn of Court
- Member, Code of Evidence Committee, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member, Special Fee Determination Committee, ACBA
- Member, Civil Procedural Rules Committee, ACBA
- Vice Chair, Public Service Committee, Allegheny County Bar Association
- Member, Gender Bias and Family Law Workgroup, Racial and Gender Bias Committee, Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- Former Chair, Task Force on Adoption, Family Law Section, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Past President, Pennsylvania Chapter of AAML
- Chair, Family Law Section, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Past President, NLSA
- Co-Chair, NLSA
- Member, Public Service Committee, Allegheny County Bar Association
- Member, Directors of Neighborhood Legal Services Association
- Member, Joint Family Law Council of Pennsylvania
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Governor, Allegheny County Bar Association
- U.S. District Court Western District of Pennsylvania, 1974
- Member, Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania, 1974
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1982
- Supreme Court of the United States of America, 1981
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, 1985 and following; President, Pennsylvania Chapter, 2005-2006; National Amicus Chair, 2007-2011; Listed, Best Lawyers in America, 2003 and following; AV Preeminent rating Martindale Hubbell© Advisory Committee, Pennsylvania Joint State Government Commission Task Force on Adoption, 1997 -; Advisory Committee on Domestic Relations Law , Pennsylvania Joint State Government Commission, 2018 -.
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyer
- 2001 Marjorie H. Matson Civil Libertarian Award; 2004 Allegheny County Bar Association first Career Achievement Pro Bono Award
- Pennsylvania Family Lawyer
- Legal Education Programs, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Dickinson School of Law
- Legal Education Programs, Allegheny County Bar Association
- Legal Education Programs, Pennsylvania County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Family Law Practice & Procedure Handbook
- The Family Advocate
Office location for James E. Mahood
436 7th Avenue
Suite 1050 Koppers Building
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
- Super Lawyers: 2005 - 2023