Jane F. Howlett
Top rated family law attorney in Bristol, Rhode IslandHowlett Law Offices
Practice Areas: Family law, Estate planning & probate, Criminal defense; view more
Licensed in Rhode Island since: 1987
Education: Quinnipiac University School of Law
Howlett Law Offices681 Hope St
Bristol, RI 02809 Visit website
The founder of Howlett Law Offices, Jane F. Howlett, focuses her practice primarily on family law matters such as divorce, contested child custody, child support and juvenile cases. She also has extensive experience in estate planning and administration, personal injury litigation, and landlord-tenant disputes. From the firm's offices in Bristol, Rhode Island, she provides representation to clients throughout the state.
Admitted to practice before all Rhode Island state courts for the past three and a half decades, Ms. Howlett is also admitted to practice in Massachusetts and before the U.S. District Court for the District of Rhode Island.
In her family law practice, Ms. Howlett helps people whose marriages are coming to an end and who are thus having to deal with such divorce-related issues as property division, child custody and visitation, and spousal and child support. She has served for many years as the chief judge on the Bristol Municipal Court, and as a result, she has presided over numerous trials. This experience has allowed her to observe the types of tactics that might be successful when her clients are unable to resolve their differences outside of the courtroom. She has counseled clients whose marriages have already dissolved and who are now seeking the enforcement of modifications to existing support and parenting orders.
After obtaining an associate degree from Roger Williams University, Ms. Howlett enrolled at Providence College and received a Bachelor of Arts degree in social studies in 1983. She then pursued her legal education at the Quinnipiac University School of Law and was awarded her Juris Doctor in 1986. A fellow of the Rhode Island Bar Foundation, she has served on several Rhode Island Family Court committees.
Quite frequently described as a fighter by her peers, Ms. Howlett’s commitment and dedication to work have been honored by many. Along with holding a "Superb" rating on Avvo, she is rated Distinguished* through Martindale-Hubbell. She received the Professional Excellence in the Law award from Rhode Island Monthly consecutively for two years. The Rhode Island Bar Association conferred her with the Pro Bono Publico Award honoring her steadfast commitment to obtaining justice for the poor.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasFamily law, Estate planning & probate, Criminal defense
Adoption, Alimony & spousal support, Child support, Custody & visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic violence, Juvenile law, Name change, Paternity, Prenuptial agreements, Marital property, Mediation & collaborative law, Same sex family law, Father's rights, Guardianships & conservatorships, Living wills, Power of attorney, Probate & estate administration, Wills, Criminal law
- 60% Family law
- 30% Estate planning & probate
- 10% Criminal defense
First Admitted: 1987, Rhode Island
Professional Webpage: https://howlettlawoffices.com/about-us
- Professional Excellence in the Law, Rhode Island Monthly 2020
- Continuing Service Award, for continuing to provide legal services to the poor and impoverished
- Leaders in the Law, Rhode Island Lawyers Weekly 2021
- Leaders in the Law, Rhode Island Lawyers Weekly 2020
- Super Lawyers, 2019
- Top 5 Family Law Attorney in Rhode Island 2020
- Professional Excellence in the Law, Rhode Island Monthly 2021
- Recipient of the award given annually by the Rhode Island Bar Association recognizing public service donated to low income and impoverished individuals., Pro Bono Publico Award, Rhode Island Bar Association, 2003
- Member, New York Yacht Club
- Member, Society of Mayflower Descendants, State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations
- Providence College, Bachelor of Arts, General Social Studies, May, 1983
- Roger Williams College, Bristol, Rhode Island, Associate of Science - Administration of Justice, May, 1981
- Lecture on the recent RI Supreme Court cases regarding Family Law issues., Lecturer on recent RI Supreme Court decisions, Recent Developments in the Law, 2011
- Speaker/lecturer, Massachusetts Conflict Resolution Training, Mediation training focusing on Domestic Relations and bankruptcy law
- Moderator for a continuing legal education course on Rhode Island Child Support Practice and Procedure at the Rhode Island Bar Association, Moderator, Child Support Considerations, Rhode Island Bar Association, 2017
- Frequent speaker/lecturer, Continuing Legal Education, Rhode Island Bar Association, The Relocation Wrangle, January, 2016, Custody Litigation and Related Issues, March, 2017 (sponsored by the Volunteer Lawyer Program) as well as numerous presentations as Chairperson of the Family Court Bench Bar Committee
- Lectured on the recent developments in domestic, divorce and family law issues in Rhode Island at a Rhode Island Bar Association continuing legal education course event., Lecturer, Recent Developments in the Law, Rhode Island Bar Association, 2010
- Lecturer on issues involving divorce, custody and litigation issues in the Family Court with an emphasis on trial preparation, witness preparation, presentation of your case in chief as well as ethical considerations involved in custody and divorce matters., Lecturer, Custody and Litigation Issues, Rhode Island Bar Association Volunteer Lawyer Program, 2017
- Chief Municipal Court Judge, Town of Bristol, Rhode Island 2012-present, 2012
- Luis v Gaugler, Rhode Island Family Court P2013-1615 Determination, after trial, that a Common Law marriage existed between the parties. Plaintiff/Wife prevailed and the matter is currently on appeal to the Rhode Island Supreme Court. Jane Howlett, attorney for Plaintiff/Wife, 2016
- Delegate to the Rhode Island Child Support Guidelines Taskforce, Appointed to the Committee conducting the quadrennial review of the Child Support Guidelines as mandated by Federal Law. Served on the Committee in 2013, 2017 and 2022, 2022
- Former Chairperson, RI Scholarship Committee, National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution
- Master, The Edward P. Gallogly, RI Family Law Inn of Court
- Rhode Island Family Court Bench Bar Committee 2003-present.
- Rhode Island Bar Association - House of Delegates, 1995
- Delegate to the Permanency Committee, Rhode Island Family Court, 2014
- Delegate to the Rhode Island Child Support Guidelines Taskforce appointed to the Committee conducting the quadrennial review of the Child Support Guidelines as mandated by Federal law, 2017
- Rhode Island Bar Association Nominating Committees, 2011-2013
- Delegate to the Committee to redraft the Rules of Procedure for Domestic Relations as well as redraft the rules consistent with e-filing procedures., 2014
- Chair, Family Court Bench Bar Committee, Rhode Island Bar Association, 2003
Office location for Jane F. Howlett
681 Hope St
Bristol, RI 02809
- Super Lawyers: 2019 - 2022