Joseph V. Cavanagh, III
Top rated general litigation attorney in Providence, Rhode IslandBlish & Cavanagh LLP
As partner at Blish & Cavanagh, LLP, Joseph V. Cavanagh III has more than 15 years of experience practicing law. He represents clients in Massachusetts and Rhode Island in the following types of law: personal injury, real estate litigation, employment, product liability, business and complex commercial litigation, and general litigation.
Mr. Cavanagh is a fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America and a member of both the Federal Bar Association and the Rhode Island Bar Association. In 2017, he was included on the Best Lawyers in America list, and he was named Lawyer of the Year in real estate litigation in 2019. He is also AV Preeminent peer-review rated,* the highest rating, through Martindale-Hubbell.
In 1999, Mr. Cavanagh graduated from the College of the Holy Cross with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history. He then moved on to Cornell Law School and earned his Juris Doctor degree in 2003. Admitted to practice in both Massachusetts and Rhode Island, he is also admitted to practice before the United States Court of Appeals for the 1st Circuit and the United States District Court for the Districts of Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
He is also actively involved with his local community and does volunteer work with several nonprofit organizations. These include the Ocean Tides School and the TGC Memorial Fund, Inc. Mr. Cavanagh is also a volunteer youth athletics coach.
Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers in America© are registered trademarks of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC. The names, logo, and database are protected under the trademark, copyright, and fair use laws of the United States of America. Any use of name, including in electronic form, must be made only by permission and under the guidelines of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC.
* AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasGeneral litigation, Business litigation, Civil litigation: defense, Employment & labor: employee, Personal injury - general: plaintiff, Real estate: consumer
Employment law - employee
First Admitted: 2003, Rhode Island
Professional Webpage: https://www.blishcavlaw.com/attorney/joseph-v-cavanagh-33435...
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- Volunteer youth athletics coach
- Board of Directors at the TGC Memorial Fund, Inc.
- Board of Trustees at the Ocean Tides School
- Lawyer of the Year, 2019 – Litigation – Real Estate
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2012
- Top Litigation Attorneys, Super Lawyers (2013 - 2020)
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2017
- College of the Holy Cross, B.A. in History, 1999
- Rhode Island
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- Rhode Island Bar Association, Member
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court District of Rhode Island
Office location for Joseph V. Cavanagh, III
30 Exchange Terrace
Providence, RI 02903
- Super Lawyers: 2013 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 2012