Richard S. Humphrey
Top rated DUI-DWI attorney in Tiverton, Rhode IslandThe Law Offices of Richard S. Humphrey
Practice Areas: DUI-DWI, White Collar Crimes, Personal Injury; view more
Licensed in Rhode Island since: 1983
As the head of the law firm bearing his name in Tiverton, Rhode Island, Richard S. Humphrey offers top-notch legal representation to clients facing criminal charges and civil litigation matters. For nearly four decades, he has been helping his clients uphold their legal rights; minimize or mitigate their issues or penalties; and protect their future.
Mr. Humphrey advocates for the residents of Rhode Island and southeastern Massachusetts. He centers his criminal defense practice around a broad spectrum of criminal offenses such as a DUI, assault, battery, theft, weapons charges, white collar crimes, federal offenses, traffic violations and more. He also efficiently manages complex Rhode Island admiralty and maritime matters, construction litigation, municipal law, professional ethics, personal injury claims, and property and zoning disputes.
Mr. Humphrey’s in-depth knowledge of state, federal and appellate court systems has a major influence on the outcomes of his clients’ cases. He genuinely cares about their results and makes every attempt possible to be responsive to their queries and supportive of their circumstances. Over his career, he has worked for several charitable organizations, municipalities and giant construction firms.
A 1980 graduate of Connecticut College, Mr. Humphrey earned his Juris Doctor at the University of New Hampshire Franklin Pierce School of Law. He was first admitted to practice in Rhode Island in 1983 and the U.S. District Court for the District of Rhode Island in 1984. He later was licensed to practice in the state and federal courts of Massachusetts and Maine, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 1st Circuit and the Supreme Court of the United States.
A fellow of the Rhode Island Bar Foundation, Mr. Humphrey holds active memberships in several prestigious organizations such as the Rhode Island Bar Association, the Newport County Bar Association, the Maine State Bar Association, the American Arbitration Association, the American Bar Association, the Rhode Island Bridge and Turnpike Authority and the Rhode Island Traffic Tribunal. He also formerly served on the Rhode Island Supreme Court Disciplinary Board and the Rhode Island Judicial Tenure Commission.
As a testament to his high level of professional excellence and ethical standards, Mr. Humphrey is peer-review rated as BV Distinguished* through Martindale-Hubbell and recently received its Silver Client Champion award.
Mr. Humphrey frequently publishes articles and presents educational seminars on a wide range of topics such as police brutality, legal ethics and malpractice, DUI and other municipal matters.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasCriminal Defense: DUI/DWI, Criminal Defense: White Collar, Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff, Transportation/Maritime
Admiralty & Maritime Law, Criminal Law - Federal, DUI/DWI, Personal Injury - Plaintiff
- 40% Criminal Defense: DUI/DWI
- 20% Criminal Defense: White Collar
- 20% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 20% Transportation/Maritime
First Admitted: 1983, Rhode Island
Professional Webpage: https://www.richardhumphreylaw.com/attorneys/richard-s-humph...
- State v. Cluley, 808 A.2d 1098 (R.I. 2002).
- State v. Quattrucci, 39 A.3d 1036 (R.I. 2012).
- H.R.M., Inc. v. S/V Venture VII, 972 F. Supp. 92 (D.R.I. 1997).
- Piccoli & Sons, Inc. v. E & C Const. Co., Inc., 64 A.3d 308, 309 (R.I. 2013).
- In re Town of Little Compton, 37 A.3d 85 (R.I. 2012).
- State v. Carcieri, 730 A.2d 11 (R.I. 1999).
- State v. Robinson, 972 A.2d 150 (R.I. 2009). (6 consolidated cases).
- State v. Sarhan, No. 12-311-M.P. (R.I., filed Apr. 18, 2013).
- French v. Isham, 801 F. Supp. 913, 914 (D.R.I. 1992).
- Intern. Broth. Police v. Town of Portsmouth, 506 A.2d 540 (R.I. 1986).
- Such v. State, 950 A.2d 1150 (R.I. 2008).
- State v. Sampson, No. 12-285-M.P. (R.I., filed Apr. 18, 2013).
- Rodrigues v. DePasquale Bldg. & Realty Co., 926 A.2d 616, 617 (R.I. 2007).
- Newport Auto Salvage, Inc v. Town Council, 502 A.2d 339 (R.I. 1985).
- International Broth. of Police Officers, Local No. 302 v. Town of Portsmouth, 506 A.2d 540, 1986114425, 1986
- J.G. Edwards Construction Company
- G. Lopes Construction, Inc.
- Town of Little Compton
- Newport Auto Salvage, Inc. v. Town Council of Town of Portsmouth Acting as Bd. of License Com'rs, R.I., 502 A.2d 339, 1985162541, 1985
- Tiverton & Little Compton Mutual Fire Insurance Co.
- Co-author, "Drunk Driving Statutes, Rhode Island and Massachusetts," Rhode Island Bar Journal, November 2001
- Co-author, "Drunk Driving: Recent Developments in the Law," Rhode Island Bar Journal, May 1999
- Co-author, "The Thickening Briar Patch of Legal Malpractice," Rhode Island Bar Journal, April 1998
- Co-author, "Drunk Driving Law Update," Rhode Island Bar Journal, October 1994
- Author, "Checklist for the Prosecution: How to Prove a DWI," Rhode Island Bar Journal, March 1995
- Author, "Punishment Before Conviction: The Effect of Automatic Post-Arrest Incarceration for Drunk Driving," Rhode Island Bar Journal, May 1993
- Author, "Defending Dual Prosecutions - The Driver Who Has Refused the Chemical Test," Rhode Island Bar Journal, April 1992
- Author, "The Midnight Call - Advising the Client to Submit to a Chemical Test," Rhode Island Bar Journal, March 1991
- Lector, Maritime Law Society, Roger Williams University School of Law, 2000
- Lector, Rhode Island Bar Association, "Current Issues Involving DWI and Refusal Cases", 2001
- Lector, Federal Taxation Institute, "Malpractice in Tax Practice - How to Avoid It; What to do if you are Sued". , 2002
- Office of Highway Safety, "Putting The Brakes on D.U.I", 2006
- Lector, Bristol, Rhode Island Police Department, "Strategies in Criminal Prosecutions", 2005
- Lector, Rhode Island Bar Association Annual Meeting, June 10, 2010 and June 11, 2010, 2010
- Lector, Handling The Police Liability Claim., 2011
- Lector, Rhode Island Bar Association, Introduction to the Practice of Law for new Attorneys, 2010
- Lector, Rhode Island Bar Association, 2014
- What to Do If You Get Sued for Legal Malpractice, Rhode Island Bar Journal, Author
- Seven Cassese Every Rhode Island DUI Practitioner Should Know, Rhode Island Bar Journal, Author
- A Practical Guide to Trying DUI Cases in Rhode Island, Author, Editor, 2011
- Anonymous Tips and Reasonable Suspicion for Motor Vehicle Stops, Rhode Island Bar Journal. , Author
- Choices Facing Clients Accused of Drunk Driving, Rhode Island bar Journal, Author
- Co-author, "How to Provide a DWI Observation Case," Rhode Island Bar Journal, September–October 2006
- Co-author, "The Potential Impact of State v. Delbonis on Prior Drunk Driving Convictions from 2000–2003," Rhode Island Bar Journal May–June 2005, 2009
- Co-author, "The Prosecution and Defense of Chemical Test Refusal Cases," Rhode Island Bar Journal, November–December 2004
- Connecticut College, B.A., 1980
- BV® Distinguished™ Peer Review RatingSM by Martindale-Hubbell@
- Rhode Island Super Lawyer 2008- Present
- Massachusetts, 1990
- US Supreme Court, 1987
- US District Court, District of Massachusetts, 1991
- US District Court, District of Rhode Island, 1984
- Brownell House Trust- Trustee, 2012
- Maine, 1993
- Member, Maine State Bar Association
- Member, American Arbitration Association
- Special Counsel, Town of Charlestown, RI Planning Board Member, Supreme Court Committee to study the question of specialization of Attorneys and Certification of Competence in such Specialties., 2000
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1987
- Rhode Island Bar Foundation- Board of Directors, 2010
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit, 1991
- US District Court, District of Maine, 1993
- Member, Rhode Island Bar Association
- Member, Rhode Island Trial Lawyers Association
- Rhode Island Supreme Court Disciplinary Board, Vice Chairman, 2015
- U.S. District Court, District of Rhode Island, 1984
- Rules Committee- Rhode Island Traffic Tribunal, Member, 1999
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts, 1991
- Rhode Island Bar Foundation-Fellow
- Member, Newport County Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Associations
- Rhode Island Bridge and Turnpike Authority (Vice- chairman, 2016- President), 2014
- Rhode Island, 1983
- Rhode Island Bar Association, House of Delegates., 2002
- Commercial Fishing
Office location for Richard S. Humphrey
3852 Main Road
Tiverton, RI 02878
- Super Lawyers: 2007 - 2015, 2018 - 2023