Brian C. Duffy
Top rated General Litigation attorney in Charleston, South CarolinaDuffy & Young, LLC
Practice Areas: General Litigation, Business Litigation, Medical Malpractice; view more
Licensed in South Carolina since: 1998
Education: Vanderbilt University Law School
Duffy & Young, LLC96 Broad Street
Charleston, SC 29401 Visit website
Brian C. Duffy is shareholder at Duffy & Young, LLC and handles cases for both plaintiffs and defendants in South Carolina. A fellow of the American Bar Foundation, he was also named in 2018 by Lawyers Weekly as an honoree of the South Carolina Leadership in Law. For his high ethical standards and long list of successful results, he holds the highest peer rating possible of AV Preeminent* from Martindale-Hubbell.
Admitted to practice in South Carolina and the District of Columbia, Mr. Duffy is also admitted to practice before several federal courts. These include the United States Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, the United States Court of Federal Claims, the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, the United States District Court for the District of South Carolina and the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
A graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Mr. Duffy earned a Bachelor of Arts before obtaining a Juris Doctor from Vanderbilt Law School. Mr. Duffy also had the opportunity to teach at the Charleston School of Law as an adjunct professor.
Mr. Duffy was the president and member of the executive committee of the Charleston County Bar Association and an active member of The James L. Petigru American Inn of Court and the South Carolina Chapter of the Federal Bar Association. An active participant in many civic and legal service projects and organizations, Mr. Duffy is a permanent member of the Judicial Conference for the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
* AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasGeneral Litigation, Business Litigation, Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff, Estate & Trust Litigation, Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff, Securities Litigation
- 30% General Litigation
- 20% Business Litigation
- 20% Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
- 10% Estate & Trust Litigation
- 10% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 10% Securities Litigation
First Admitted: 1998, South Carolina
Professional Webpage: https://www.duffyandyoung.com/our-attorneys/brian-duffy
- Received AV rating
- Recognized as a Member of Super Lawyers
- This award honors legal professionals licensed and practicing law in the state of South Carolina, who have gone above and beyond in their profession and their community. These honorees represent the most influential leaders within our state’s legal community. They are nominated by their peers and selected by a panel of independent legal professional leaders based on professional accomplishment, personal accomplishment, and community involvement within the Palmetto State., South Carolina Leader in Law, South Carolina Lawyers Weekly, 2018
- Charleston School of Law, Adjunct Professor
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- South Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- District of Columbia
- Brian is honored to serve the legal profession which he has done and continues to do through a variety of organizations. Brian has served as President of the Charleston County Bar Association, the South Carolina Federal Bar Association, and the James L. Petigru American Inn of Court. Brian remains actively involved in each of those organizations and also is a proud member of the American Bar Foundation and of the Judicial Conference of The United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Brian earned a Juris Doctor from the Vanderbilt University Law School where he was a John W. Wade Scholar and the Notes Editor of Vanderbilt Law Review. Brian earned a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, with highest distinction, from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Brian is the Chairman and CEO of The Charleston Forum, a not-for-profit company designed to unite the community to resolve racial issues, in light of the massacre at Mother Emanuel AME Church. Brian has been selected to serve on projects honoring influential judges and lawyers and erecting statues in their honor. Brian served for years on the Board of Directors for the Pro Bono Legal Services Organization of Charleston. Brian has chaired a committee of lawyers and judges involved in celebrating civil rights decisions in South Carolina and providing materials to high school students in South Carolina about those developments.
- In the past few years, I have resolved cases for many clients as the plaintiff, with recoveries ranging from tens of thousands of dollars to many millions of dollars. During the same time, I have represented defendants in settlement and trial of claims ranging from relatively modest value to claims valued in the tens of millions of dollars where we won a defense verdict which was affirmed on appeal.
Office location for Brian C. Duffy
96 Broad Street
Charleston, SC 29401
- Super Lawyers: 2014 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2012 - 2013