Christopher W. Adams
Top rated Criminal Defense attorney in Charleston, South CarolinaAdams & Bischoff, L.L.C.
Practice Areas: Criminal Defense, White Collar Crimes, Appellate; view more
Licensed in South Carolina since: 1993
Education: Georgetown University Law Center
Adams & Bischoff, L.L.C.171 Church Street
Charleston, SC 29401 Visit website
In the state of South Carolina in the greater Charleston metropolitan area, Christopher W. Adams is an aggressive, experienced criminal defense attorney with Adams & Bischoff. A founder of the firm, he practices in both federal and state courts, representing men and women who have been accused of sex offenses, street crimes, and white collar crimes. He finds solutions for his clients.
Adams served as President of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (2020-2021).
Before he started his own practice, he served as a nonprofit lawyer and public defender for 15 years. After beginning his career as a trial lawyer in the public defender office, Chris moved to the Southern Center for Human Rights to defend people facing the death penalty and was then appointed as the founding director of the Georgia Capital Defender. While working with this organization, he defended indigent women and men as they faced the death penalty on appeal or at trial.
A graduate of Georgetown University Law Center, he obtained his Juris Doctor in 1992. Since then he has completed an oral storytelling master's program at East Tennessee State University. For his high ethical standards and long list of successful results, he holds the highest peer rating possible of AV Preeminent* from Martindale-Hubbell and has a "Superb" rating with Avvo.
Along with defending his clients, he has taught at the Charleston School of Law, Georgia State University and Emory University as an adjunct professor in criminal law and procedure. His background in forensics, courtroom advocacy, ethics and criminal law makes Mr. Adams a sought-after presenter and speaker, and he has presented to bar association and professional organizations in 40 different states.
* AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasCriminal Defense, Criminal Defense: White Collar, Appellate, Criminal Defense: DUI/DWI
Criminal Law, Criminal Law - Federal, DUI/DWI, Felony, Misdemeanor, Murder, Sex Offenses, White Collar Crime
- 40% Criminal Defense
- 40% Criminal Defense: White Collar
- 10% Appellate
- 10% Criminal Defense: DUI/DWI
First Admitted: 1992, Georgia
Professional Webpage: https://adamsbischoff.com/chris-adams/
- The ABCL is an exclusive national, legal, honorary society for outstanding criminal trial lawyers, with admission to fellowship by invitation only., Fellow, American Board of Criminal Lawyers, https://www.abcl.us
- Superlawyers, Criminal Defense in South Carolina, 2016 & 2019
- The Friends of Gideon Award is presented annually to a lawyer who represents excellence in criminal defense advocacy and support for the mission of public defense. Chris was the first recipient of this award. , Friends of Gideon, South Carolina Public Defender’s Association, 2021
- Achieved an Avvo of 10.0
- President, National Association for Criminal Defense Lawyers (2020-2021)
- Georgia Capital Defender, Director
- National Criminal Defense College, Faculty, 2005-present
- Adjunct Professor, Emory University
- Adjunct Professor, Georgia State University
- Adjunct Professor, Charleston School of Law
- Southern Center For Human Rights, 2000
- East Tennessee State University, M.A. in Oral Storytelling, 2016
- USA v. Tevin Glover, acquitted on all counts in federal court involving allegations of bank robbery, a Harris Teeter robbery, and guns. The defendant was not involved with the bank robbery crew., 2018
- USA v. Williamson, acquitted on all counts in federal court on allegation of assault with intent to kill. The defendant acted in self defense., 2014
- Won misdemeanor plea in white collar prosecution. , 2020
- Won bank robbery, store robbery conspiracy trial in federal court. , 2018
- Representing executive in ongoing white collar investigation.
- Complex Criminal Litigation
- White Collar
Office location for Christopher W. Adams
171 Church Street
Charleston, SC 29401
- Super Lawyers: 2016 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2005