J. Rutledge Young, III
Top Rated General Litigation Attorney in Charleston, SC
A highly regarded civil trial attorney, J. Rutledge Young III is the co-founder of Duffy & Young, LLC. Located in Charleston, South Carolina, he focuses his practice in large part on plaintiff's personal injury and wrongful death litigation, assisting people throughout the state who have been harmed by the negligence of other persons or entities. The types of cases that Mr. Young has been involved in have arisen out of incidents stemming from medical malpractice, defective products, and motor vehicle accidents, and he has been able to obtain many sizable settlements and jury awards for his clients. His experience also encompasses business disputes, including unfair trade practices, contract breaches and trade secret misappropriation.
The quality of Mr. Young's work in all these endeavors has led to recognition from his colleagues, including an AV Preeminent* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell and a "Superb" peer review rating through Avvo. Admitted to practice in South Carolina, Mr. Young is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit. His professional affiliations included the American Association for Justice, the Federal Bar Association, and the American Board of Trial Advocates. Active in his community as well, Mr. Young has served on the board of directors of the Preservation Society of Charleston.
Mr. Young is a graduate of the University of Virginia, where he majored in history and received a Bachelor of Arts in 1993. His legal education was obtained at the University of South Carolina School of Law, and he was awarded his Juris Doctor with high honors in 1997. Prior to entering private practice, he clerked for a judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of South Carolina.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
About J. Rutledge Young, III
First Admitted: 1997, South Carolina
Professional Webpage: https://www.duffyandyoung.com/our-attorneys/j-rutledge-young...
Pro bono/Community Service
- Member, Brick House Plantation
- Member, Board, Charleston Library Society
- Member, Board, Woodberry Forest School
- Member, Board, Lowcountry Land Trust
- Member, Board, South Carolina Coastal Conservation League
- Member, Board, Historic Charleston Foundation
- Member, Board, BB&T
- Co-Director, Business Development, American Windsurfer Magazine
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers, 1991
- Best Lawyer in America, Bet-the-Company Litigation, 1999
- Awarded a Bronze Star, Captain of MACV Advisory Team No.7, Long Khanh Province, Republic of Vietnam, 1969 - 1970
- South Carolina Superlawyer
- Chambers USA America's Leading Business Lawyers
- Best Lawyers in America
- AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- South Carolina Supreme Court, Board of Commissioners on Grievances and Discipline
- South Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Diplomat, American Board of Trial Advocates, 1988
- President, South Carolina Bar, 1994-1995
- University of Virginia, B.A., 1965
Last Updated: 5/15/2022