John A. Massalon
Top Rated Civil Litigation Attorney in Charleston, SC
A highly regarded civil trial attorney, John A. Massalon is a member of Wills Massalon & Allen LLC. From the firm's office in Charleston, South Carolina, he provides representation to his personal and business clients throughout the region in a variety of areas. Admitted to practice before all South Carolina courts, Mr. Massalon is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina, the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of South Carolina and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit.
The types of matters that Mr. Massalon has handled, both in the courtroom and through alternative dispute resolution methods, have included real estate actions, partnership and shareholder disputes, insurance coverage, personal injury and wrongful death cases stemming from defective products and premises liability, professional negligence, and construction law. His colleagues have taken note of his successful track record in all of these endeavors, which earned him an AV Preeminent* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell.
A former member of the board of directors of the South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys' Association and a past president of the Charleston County Bar Association, Mr. Massalon remains active in those groups and in other professional organizations as well. His affiliations include the International Association of Defense Counsel, the American Board of Trial Advocates and the American Bar Association. A 1984 recipient of a Bachelor of Arts from the College of Charleston, Mr. Massalon pursued his legal education at the University of South Carolina School of Law and was awarded his Juris Doctor in 1987. He has taught prospective attorneys as an adjunct professor at the Charleston School of Law.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories — legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 20%Civil Litigation: Defense
- 30%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 20%Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Super Lawyers: 2010 - 2022
About John A. Massalon
First Admitted: 1987, South Carolina
Professional Webpage: https://www.wmalawfirm.net/Attorneys/John-A-Massalon.shtml
- Charleston School of Law, Adjunct Professor
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys Association, Editor, Defense Line, 1999 - 2003
- Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys Association, Board of Directors, 1998 - 2003
- South Carolina Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Charleston County Bar Association, Past-President 2011-2012; Executive Committee 2004-2012
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court South Carolina
- American Bar Association
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- South Carolina, 1987
- U.S. District Court District of South Carolina
- South Carolina Super Lawyers: Civil Litigation, 2010 - 2012
- AV rated by Martindale
- College of Charleston, Bachelor of Arts, 1984
Last Updated: 5/15/2022