D. Michael Kelly
Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney in Columbia, SC
D. Michael Kelly is the founder of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina-based Mike Kelly Law Group. Providing representation to clients in Horry County and other parts of the state, he focuses his practice primarily on personal injury litigation. His experience also encompasses workers' compensation, Social Security Disability, construction defects, insurance coverage, estate planning and administration, and professional licensure defense. Mr. Kelly is admitted to practice in South Carolina and before the U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina.
In his personal injury practice, Mr. Kelly assists people who have been harmed by the negligence of other parties. The types of cases that he has worked on have included motor vehicle accidents, premises liability, defective products, and nursing home negligence, and he has been able to obtain significant compensation for his clients. Among Mr. Kelly's representative results are a $3 million medical malpractice jury verdict, a $3.775 settlement in a truck accident case, and a $1.5 million settlement in a case that involved a defective seat belt.
A 1977 graduate of the University of South Carolina School of Law, Mr. Kelly also represents people who have been injured on the job or who have contracted an occupational disease and who are seeking their rightful benefits under their employer's workers' compensation insurance. This involves both assisting them with the preparation and submission of the required claim as well as advocating on their behalf if it is disputed or denied. For clients who are no longer able to work due to a disability, Mr. Kelly provides representation in hearings before administrative law judges in the event that the initial SSD claim is denied. His successful track record in all of these areas has earned him an AV Preeminent* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell and a "Superb" peer review rating through Avvo.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
About D. Michael Kelly
First Admitted: 1977, South Carolina
Professional Webpage: http://www.mklawgroup.com/d.-michael-kelly
- Myrtle Beach Herald's 2008 Personal Injury Attorney of the Year
- Public Citizen Award, South Carolina Trial Lawyers Association
Pro bono/Community Service
- Board of Directors of the Glenforest School
- Greater Columbia Chamber of Commerce
- New Morning Foundation
- Cultural Council of Richland Lexington Counties
- Outstanding Alumnus Award, Department of Arts & Sciences, University of South Carolina
- Central Carolina Community Foundation
- Co-Chair, University of South Carolina School of Law Building Campaign
- The Compleat Lawyer Award, University of South Carolina
- University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina, B.A., 1974
- South Carolina Bar, 1977
- President, Richland County Bar Association, 1991 - 1992
- Treasurer, South Carolina Bar, 1997 - 1998
- Member, Past President, American Board of Trial Advocates, South Carolina Chapter, November 2007 - February 2009
- Member, Board of Directors, Richland County Bar Association, 1990 - 1991
- President-Elect, South Carolina Bar, 1998 - 1999
- Permanent Member, South Carolina Bar, House of Delegates
- U.S. District Court, District of South Carolina, 1978
- President, South Carolina Bar, 1999 - 2000
- Secretary, South Carolina Bar, 1996 - 1997
Last Updated: 5/15/2022