Deborah B. Barbier
Top rated white collar crimes attorney in Columbia, South CarolinaDeborah B. Barbier, LLC
The owner of the South Carolina-based firm, Deborah B. Barbier, LLC, in Columbia, Deborah B. Barbier is primarily a criminal defense attorney and at times does business litigation as well. She provides her assistance to people residing across the state and represents them in cases involving the following matters:
- White collar crimes
- Civil and criminal health care fraud
- Drug diversion
- Qui tam and whistleblower claims
- Criminal asset forfeiture
A cum laude graduate of the University of South Carolina, Ms. Barbier earned her Bachelor of Arts degree in journalism in 1990. Interested in law since her childhood, she decided to pursue a career in the same field and joined the University of South Carolina School of Law and obtained her Juris Doctor in 1994. She was authorized to practice law the same year.
Right after graduation, Ms. Barbier served as a law clerk under the Honorable Joseph A. Wilson II and later under the Honorable Joseph F. Anderson Jr. In 1996, she joined the United State Attorney’s Office for the District of South Carolina as an assistant U.S. attorney, where she spearheaded qui tam litigation and held various other leadership positions as well. After spending 15 years prosecuting numerous high-profile fraud cases, she decided to enter private practice and established her law firm, Deborah B. Barbier, LLC.
Throughout her career, Ms. Barbier has been lauded and honored by several organizations for her extreme dedication and zealousness to secure justice for people. Along with being named to America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators, she was inducted into the Litigation Counsel of America, an honorary society for trial lawyers. Early in her career, the United States Department of Energy conferred her with the Exceptional Service Award. Her alma mater awarded her the USC School of Law 2012 Compleat Lawyer Award. She is rated AV Preeminent* through Martindale-Hubbell.
Ms. Barbier is frequently seen engaging outside the office as a lecturer and speaker at various conferences and events such as the Federal Public Defender’s Office Training events, the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners Annual Conference, the United States Secret Service Annual Training and so on. She was formerly a co-chair of the Federal Bar Association’s Criminal Law Section and is currently the treasurer of the American College of Trial Lawyers’ State Committee.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasCriminal defense: white collar, Business litigation, Criminal defense, Employment & labor: employee, Health care
White collar crime, Criminal fraud, Criminal law, Drug & alcohol violations, Whistleblower, Health & health care law
- 50% Criminal defense: white collar
- 20% Business litigation
- 10% Criminal defense
- 10% Employment & labor: employee
- 10% Health care
First Admitted: 1994, South Carolina
Professional Webpage: https://www.deborahbarbier.com/attorney-profile-deborah-barb...
- In 2015, Barbier became a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers which is reserved for the top 1% of trial lawyers in each state, Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- United States Attorney’s Office – Healthcare Fraud Award, 1998
- Drug Enforcement Administration Appreciation Award, 1999
- Workhorse Award for “Outstanding Work Ethic and Contributions to the Overall Mission of the United States Attorney Office”, 2000
- Exceptional Service Award – United States Department of Energy, 2001
- Civil Division Award, 2002
- Exceptional Dedication Award – “Operation Fast Track”, 2003
- Team Player Award, 2006
- Award for Leadership of Asset Forfeiture Unit, 2006
- Outstanding Contributions to Asset Forfeiture Unit, 2007
- Award for Excellence – Presidents Counsel on Integrity and Efficiency, 2008
- United States Attorney’s Award, 2008
- United States Department of Agriculture – OIG Award, 2010
- Awarded the USC School of Law 2012 Compleat Lawyer Award, 2012
- Inducted as a Fellow into the American College of Trial Lawyer, 2015
- Inducted into honorary society for trial lawyers Litigation Counsel of America , 2018
- Included in the Best Lawyers in America, 19th Ed., 2012 – 2019
- Selected to Super Lawyers, 2017 – 2019
- Named to America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators, 2017 – 2019
- University of South Carolina, Bachelor of Arts in Journalism, Honors: cum laude, December 1990
- Defense Contracting
- Nursing Home
Office location for Deborah B. Barbier
1811 Pickens St
Columbia, SC 29201
- Super Lawyers: 2017 - 2023