J. Michael Taylor
Top rated Family Law attorney in Columbia, South CarolinaTaylor/Potterfield
Practice Areas: Family Law
Licensed in South Carolina since: 1980
Education: University of South Carolina School of Law
Taylor/Potterfield2231 Devine St
Columbia, SC 29205 Phone: 803-376-2001 Email: J. Michael Taylor Visit website
J. Michael Taylor practices in the trial and appellate courts of South Carolina in all aspects of Family Law including complex divorce issues, custody, high assets and jurisdictional disputes including interstate and international cases.
Mr. Taylor was admitted to the practice of law in the State trial and appellate courts of South Carolina in 1980 and Federal District Court in 1981. He is a member in good standing of the Family Law Sections of both the South Carolina Bar and American Bar Attorney Association, and is a Fellow of the International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers as well as a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, of which he is the Past President of the South Carolina Chapter. He is a former Special Assistant United States Attorney and, for over forty years he has actively practiced domestic relations law in the South Carolina Family Courts, Court of Appeals and Supreme Court. He is rated “AV” by Martindale-Hubble, the highest possible distinction in both ability and ethical standards.
In addition, Mr. Taylor served as Editor of the S.C. Bar Family Law Newsletter, served as the South Carolina Reporter for the BNA Family Law Reports and was the South Carolina Reporter for the American Bar Association Family Law Section’s Law in 50 States project from 1990-2010. He was an editor of numerous treatises including Business Valuations for Lawyers, South Carolina Evidence and three editions of Marital Litigation in South Carolina. He was author or co-author of numerous articles published in national legal journals including "Law of Relocation in Family Court" and "Discovery of Social Media in Family Court Litigation."
First Admitted: 1980, South Carolina
Professional Webpage: https://www.taylor-potterfield-law.com/michael-taylor.html
- Authorship : "Discovery of Social Media in Family Court Litigation" SC Lawyer September, 2019; "Law of Relocation in Family Court (SC Lawyer, July, 2011); Chairman, “Divorce,” 13 South Carolina Jurisprudence 63 Co-Author, “Adultery and Fornication,” 3 South Carolina Jurisprudence 1 Co-Author, "Fault Enforces Accountability" (ABA Family Law Advocate) Co-Author, "Custody Moves: Handling Abduction, Wrongful Retention" The Matrimonial Strategist Author, “Law of Relocation in Family Court” (South Carolina Lawyer) Editor: Duncan and McKay, Business Valuations for Lawyers Stuckey, Marital Litigation in South Carolina (1st, 3rd and 4th Ed.) Collins, South Carolina Evidence S.C. Bar, Civil Trial Manual Seminar Materials “Sequence of Witnesses at Trial,” (SC Bar-CLE “Hot Tips from the Experts”) "Harvesting Information from Clients" (Georgetown University Law Center CLE Conference) "Effectively Using Fault at Trial" (ABA Family Law Section) "International Child Snatching--What To Do Over Here When the Child's Over There"; (S.C. Bar – CLE) "Fault Should Not Be A Dirty Word In Divorce, Alimony, Or Property Division" (Colorado Trial Lawyer's Association) “The Law of Relocation from the Guardian’s Perspective” (S.C. Children’s Law Center)
- Stoney v Stoney and Stoney 425 S.C. 47, 819 SE2d 201 (Ct. App., 2018); Reed v. Pieper, S.C. Ct. App. Op. No. 4837 (June 1, 2011); Brookshire v. Blackwell, 384 S.C. 333, 682 S.E.2d 295 (S.C. Ct. App., 2009); Browder v. Browder, 382 S.C. 512, 675 S.E.2d 820 (S.C. Ct. App., 2009); Semken v. Semken, 379 S.C. 71, 664 S.E.2d 493 (S.C. Ct. App., 2008); Kelley v. Kelley, 368 S.C. 602, 629 S.E.2d 388 (S.C. Ct. App., 2006); Love v. Love, 367 S.C. 493, 626 S.E.2d 56 (S.C. Ct. App., 2006); Patel v. Patel, 359 S.C. 534, 599 S.E.2d 124 (S.C. S. Ct., 2004); Patel v. Patel, 359 S.C. 515, 599 S.E.2d 114 (S.C. S. Ct., 2004); Patel v. Patel, 347 S.C. 281, 555 S.E.2d 386 (S.C. S. Ct., 2001); Paparella v. Paparella, 340 S.C. 186, 531 S.E.2d 297 (S.C. Ct. App., 2000); Anderson v. Tolbert, 322 S.C. 543, 473 S.E.2d 456 (S.C. Ct. App., 1996); Fisher v. Fisher, 319 S.C. 500, 462 S.E.2d 303 (S.C. Ct. App., 1995); Doe v. Doe, 319 S.C. 151, 459 S.E.2d 892 (S.C. Ct. App., 1995); Sharpe v. Sharpe, 307 S.C. 540, 416 S.E.2d 215 (S.C. Ct. App., 1992); Dunn v. Dunn, 298 S.C. 499, 381 S.E.2d 734 (S.C. S. Ct., 1989); Bogan v. Bogan, 298 S.C. 139, 378 S.E.2d 606 (S.C. Ct. App., 1989).
- International Academy of Family Law
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubble; Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Law
- University of South Carolina School of Law, B.A. History (magna cum laude) with a minor in Government and International Studies, Phi Beta Kappa 1977., 1977
- American Academy of Matrimonial Law, Past President of South Carolina Chapter, 1997
- Fellow, International Academy of Family Lawyers
- Super Lawyers: 2008 - 2009, 2022 - 2023