John S. Simmons
Top rated Personal Injury attorney in Columbia, South CarolinaSimmons Law Firm, LLC
Practice Areas: Personal Injury, Products Liability, White Collar Crimes; view more
Licensed in South Carolina since: 1987
Education: University of South Carolina School of Law
Simmons Law Firm, LLC1711 Pickens Street
Columbia, SC 29201 Visit website
John S. Simmons is the owner and the managing attorney at Simmons Law Firm located in Columbia, South Carolina. His areas of practice include personal injury matters such as medical malpractice, nursing home abuse and neglect, premises liability, products liability, car accidents, workplace accidents, whistleblower claims, securities and investor disputes, and white collar crimes.
Additionally, Mr. Simmons represents those who have been affected by the Camp Lejeune Water Contamination and advocates aggressively for their rights. In 1992, he was selected by President George Bush to be the U.S. Attorney for South Carolina in the areas of civil and criminal federal cases, where he was the youngest in the country at the time. In 2003, he founded his own law firm.
Mr. Simmons has a genuine concern for his clients who have been the victims of injuries through the negligence of another party and through no fault of their own. He fiercely advocates for his clients and has obtained numerous million-dollar and multimillion-dollar verdicts and settlements on their behalf.
After graduating from the University of South Carolina, Mr. Simmons received his Bachelor of Arts degree. He studied law at the University of South Carolina School of Law, obtaining his doctorate in jurisprudence in 1987. While in law school, he was inducted into the Order of the Wig and Robe and the Order of the Coif.
Additionally, Mr. Simmons was a member of the South Carolina Law Review and actively participated in mock trial competitions as part of the mock trial team. He also received the J. Woodrow Lewis Appellate Advocacy Award. Post-law school, he clerked for a renowned judge at the United States Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit.
Recognized for his impeccable work in the legal field for more than three decades, Mr. Simmons has received the highest peer-review rating through Martindale-Hubbell, the AV Preeminent* rating. He is also included in the list of The Best Lawyers in America for seven years consecutively. Named by The National Trial Lawyers to the list of Top 100 Trial Lawyers, he is also a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum and the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasPersonal Injury - General: Plaintiff, Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff, Criminal Defense: White Collar, Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
Criminal Law - Federal, Medical Devices, Medical Malpractice, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Pharmaceutical, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, White Collar Crime
- 40% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 30% Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff
- 20% Criminal Defense: White Collar
- 10% Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 1987, South Carolina
Professional Webpage: https://www.simmonslawfirm.com/john-s-simmons/
- Environmental Crimes & Corporate Liability, (Co-Author), South Carolina Bar
- South Carolina Law Review, Member
- Recipient, J. Woodrow Lewis Appellate Advocacy Award
- Member of The Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers
- National Trial Lawyers Association Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- Order of Wig & Robe, University of South Carolina School of Law
- Order of the Coif, University of South Carolina School of Law
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Kappa Alpha Order
- Martindale-Hubbell's Highest AV Rating
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Association of Former United States Attorneys, Member
- South Carolina
- American Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference, Member
- South Carolina Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- South Carolina State Bar Association, Member
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina
- University of South Carolina, South Carolina, B.A. in Political Science
Office location for John S. Simmons
1711 Pickens Street
Columbia, SC 29201
- Super Lawyers: 2011 - 2014, 2017 - 2023
Additional sources of information about John S. Simmons
See legal Q & A provided by John S. Simmons
Q: If I’m Already Receiving VA Benefits, Why Would I File A Lawsuit In South Carolina Under The Camp Lejeune Justice Act?A: Although you may be receiving disability benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), the Camp Lejeune Justice Act of 2022 allows …
Q: What Caused Water Contamination At Camp Lejeune? Can I File A Lawsuit In South Carolina?A: For over three decades, service members, their families, civilians and others living and working on base were tragically exposed to harmful chemicals … See all answers by John Simmons