Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Columbia, SC
- Free Consultation
Attorney Nicholas Mermiges is the founder and principal of the Law Office of Nick Mermiges, LLC, in Columbia, South Carolina. A nationally ranked trial lawyer with more than 10 years of total legal experience, Mr. Mermiges provides unmatched counsel and support to clients throughout the greater Columbia metro as well as Lexington and the surrounding areas who have legal needs involving any of the following:
· Family law and divorce
· Child custody and support
· Personal injury
· General civil litigation
Over the course of his legal career, Mr. Mermiges has handled hundreds of highly complex divorce cases for clients across his region, and he has gained a reputation for his compassion and integrity when dealing with his clients along with his unwavering commitment to helping them achieve their goals and the favorable outcomes they seek as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible. During the same time, he has also recovered substantial compensation for his plaintiff clients adversely affected by a preventable tragedy caused by someone else's negligence.
At all turns, Mr. Mermiges maintains an uncompromising passion for serving his clients to the utmost of his abilities, and he has received many testimonials and referrals from those he has served. He has also received Superb client ratings on Avvo along with the site's Top Contributor and Clients' Choice Awards. Moreover, he has also received top peer rankings on Martindale-Hubbell along with many other endorsements from his peers.
Originally from Detroit, Michigan, Mr. Mermiges graduated from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, in 2006 before relocating to Florida to attend the University of Miami School of Law on a Dean's Merit Scholarship. He obtained his Juris Doctor magna cum laude in 2010, graduating Order of the Coif and within the top 5% of his class. While in law school, he received the CALI Book Award for Constitutional Law II, and he served as member of the University of Miami Law Review.
He is admitted to practice in Florida and South Carolina as well as before the U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina. He is also an active member of the South Carolina Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, The South Carolina Bar's Family Law Section, the Florida Defense Lawyers Association and the Claims & Litigation Management Alliance, among his other professional affiliations.
- 70%Family Law
- 10%Civil Litigation: Plaintiff
- 10%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 10%Personal Injury - General: Defense
Alimony & Spousal Support, Custody & Visitation, Divorce, Prenuptial Agreements, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Personal Injury - Defense
- Rising Stars: 2021 - 2022
About Nicholas Mermiges
First Admitted: 2010, Florida
Professional Webpage: http://www.ndmlaw.com/page/nick_mermiges/
- South Carolina
- University of Miami Law Review, Member
- Order of the Coif, University of Miami School of Law
- , Top 5% of all lawyers in class, University of Miami School of Law
- Dean's Merit Scholarship
- BA from The University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI. Majoring in Political Science and Creative Writing, 2006
- Columbia, SC Divorce Attorney Nick Mermiges explains how the Court divides marital assets and debts in divorce, and what specific property and debts are marital vs. non-marital, Equitable Divsion of Marital Assets and Debts in Divorce, Divorce, Family Law, 2019
- Columbia SC Divorce Attorney Nick Mermiges explains what it really means to "file for separation" before a divorce in South Carolina, what relief the Court can order, and when it makes sense to bring an action for separate support and maintenance, Filing for Separation in South Carolina - Separate Support and Maintenance, Divorce, Family Law, 2019
Pro bono/Community Service
- Represented peaceful protesters who were arrested in Columbia, SC on May 31, 2020 after the George Floyd killing. All charges levied against our pro-bono clients were dismissed/nol prossed. No guilty pleas, no fines, 2020
Last Updated: 5/15/2022